Myfitnesspal and Fitbit for Weight Loss

Options
I have been a member of myfitnesspal for a couple years now, but have only used here and there until recently. I've now reached my 26h day streak (my personal best). Anyways, as a reward, I purchased the fitbit flex. Since synching with myfitnesspal, I've noticed that by just walking it increases my net calories (and yes i know there is a formula and everything). My question is, what success has everyone had from using the 2? I'm worried that since it's increasing my net cals and I have been eating some of that back (which is what myfitnesspal suggests, but I always followed the workout eat back calorie method, not normal day walking eat back calorie), but I'm worried this will slow down my weight loss.

What is your experience with using both apps simultaniously?

If you did use them both and made certain adjustments (not using the factor method), what did you do and how/why? What kind of success/troubles did you have?

I know each person's body reacts different and everything, but I want to make this as successful as possible, and the adding calories just because I walk to my car is a little concerning to me, so I want to know what everyone has seen work....

Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• Ken2Pam
    Ken2Pam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used MyFitness Pal and a Fitbit Force, I have lost 33 lbs at a rate of about 1.5 lbs a week. I allowed the negative calorie function to be used, and I also ate back 85 to 100% of the calories burned as exercise. My goal was to basically zero out my calories for each day.

The combination worked well for me, I reached my goal in about six months, my goal was losing 30 lbs. I also have been consistently active, I go to the gym 3 days a week and lift and do cardio, I bike or jog the other 3 days, and make sure and take at least one day of rest day per week.

I have logged in for 194 days in a row now, it has become a way of life and it is working well for me.

Keep going, it does work. Send me a message if you would like more information.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i don't usually eat back my exercise calories unless i get hungry, and then i eat protein - non-fat greek yogurt, egg eaters or protein powder. i rarely eat back more than half.

i always get a kick out of seeing fitbit show exercise calorie burn. i usually use map my fitness for walks but leave the fitbit on, as well. the fitbit won't add calorie burn to your MFP account till it accounts for all the map my fitness calories burned, so that works well. same with the app i use for weight/resistance training.

if you're very sedentary, having a fitbit could motivate you to take more steps every day, and that could be helpful. i found it got me walking a couple extra times all the way around every store i shop in before i start shopping, which added up. i got the fitbit one as i didn't want my arm gestures counted as steps.
  • sharonnj398
    sharonnj398 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a different brand wearable. I find the goals it sets and little online badges motivate me to do more. My youngest brother also has this brand (he had it first and recommended it) and this allows me to see another person who I can comfortably (or brutally) compete with.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit - but I don't have it linked to MFP. I love the motivation it provides, but wasn't losing any weight when I was eating back exercise calories. I've switched to TDEE and unlinked my FitBit and have been having good success.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I work more within my TDEE -20% rather than NEAT so I don't worry so much about the calories it brings over, but I do like seeing myself go above and beyond my Runkeeper walks some days :)

I have my fitbit attached to MFP so I can use the charts on Fitbit appropriately (because it brings over the meal summaries). All of it just adds to graphs I can review. Not to mention I have an Aria so it takes care of logging weigh ins without me worrying about it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Well, if you click on the Fitbit Adjustment little "i" you'll see it's not exactly adding calories for walking to your car after work. If Fitbit predicts based on your activity for the day that you'll burn more than you set up MFP for, it adds the overage to your goal. I think I need to get over 5000 steps or something before I've earned an adjustment from my 'sedentary' MFP calorie burn target.

If you're eating more and moving the same amount as before linking them, you WILL lose slower.

I unlinked mine because my deficit is low due to hitting the 1200 floor and if I happen to walk a little extra one day, I'd rather that apply to my deficit than my dessert. If I want to eat more because I'm hungrier some days, I will, but I'm not going to because an app tells me I can. But I'm not running any marathons or anything, either.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    i don't usually eat back my exercise calories unless i get hungry, and then i eat protein - non-fat greek yogurt, egg eaters or protein powder. i rarely eat back more than half.

i always get a kick out of seeing fitbit show exercise calorie burn. i usually use map my fitness for walks but leave the fitbit on, as well. the fitbit won't add calorie burn to your MFP account till it accounts for all the map my fitness calories burned, so that works well. same with the app i use for weight/resistance training.

if you're very sedentary, having a fitbit could motivate you to take more steps every day, and that could be helpful. i found it got me walking a couple extra times all the way around every store i shop in before i start shopping, which added up. i got the fitbit one as i didn't want my arm gestures counted as steps.

This ^ and I set both to sedentary. I have the flex set it to "dominant" hand and wear it on my non dominant. This way it isn't as sensitive and won't over count. I do not get extra steps from armnmovement or from driving. If you go on the website look under "food" and you can set the fitbit to "sedentary".
    I am very motivated to get up and walk now! I have maintained and lost since getting the flex. Before I maintained and gained. (I. am newly hypothyroid) Good luck! ????
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use mine in conjunction.. I don't eat back all my exercise calories because its impossible for me... I'm not sure if the formula is correct but I have been losing small amounts
  • MrsCastle1010
    MrsCastle1010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been losing pretty steadily using both the FitBit and MFP. I have MFP set to sedentary and the goal wt loss of 2 lbs per week. At that rate, I do eat the FitBit exercise calories and I am losing about 1.5 pounds per week. It motivates me to get my steps in, since if I just lie around all day, I get a lot less to eat! I also have the Aria. Love all these things update one another so easily.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I have the flex set it to "dominant" hand and wear it on my non dominant. This way it isn't as sensitive and won't over count. I do not get extra steps from armnmovement or from driving. If you go on the website look under "food" and you can set the fitbit to "sedentary".
    I am very motivated to get up and walk now! I have maintained and lost since getting the flex. Before I maintained and gained. (I. am newly hypothyroid) Good luck! ????

well, drat! the fitbit one - which counts hundreds or thousands of steps in the car, so i have to log the drives or use drivebit to remove the false steps - does not have adjustable sensitivity. i shoulda gotten a flex like my husband suggested...
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    But the one counts flights of stairs!
    Flex doesn't.
    It must be the jostling in the car that makes it count steps in the car ride.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have used a Fitbit Flex synced with MFP for the last two months. The progress has been fantastic.

I follow TDEE 20% for caloric deficit estimation. My daily Fitbit summaries are within 50-100 calories of the online calculator. This is pretty darn accurate for me. The weekly summaries that Fitbit sends have consistently confirmed that I am exactly on point to lose 1.5 lbs per week.

It is very nice to have a little motivator on my wrist. Working a desk job makes it easy to forget that I need to move. If I check my steps mid-day and realize that I have barely moved, I get off of my rump and go for a walk. Super handy!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have been using both together for over a year and I loose on average a pound a week which is what I'm set for. I have MFP set to lightly active because most of the time I am. I eat my allotted amount and then on average eat probably half to most of my Fitbit calories. I end up pretty close to a pound deficit on a weekly basis. So for me the two work great together.