Replies

• nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from anxiety and still do sometimes. The things that helps me most to beat anxiety is exercise. I've discovered Jillian Michael's dvds and although the first few times I do them, it is very tiring, i find it really helps with the anxiety over time and helps me sleep much better! I am too sleepy and tired to be up worrying and thinking.

Routine also helps. You might need to enforce a productive routine upon yourself even though your not working.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    Depression is how you feel, it is affected straight in the brain. Truly unhappy and you need to realize it. Wake up, and do something about it.

Find what makes you happy. Continue day after day and fight depression. I have a blog that can be read about it. I was depressed for 10 years until this year, I fought back with 10 years of rage.
  • makekathshrink
    makekathshrink Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Didn't realise that sleep patterns played such a part , I'm really shattered know I am over tired and can fall asleep at the drop of a hat , but then I wake up when I should be asleep .
    But yes then I feel like snacking
  • Jwildeboer
    Jwildeboer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A lot of people mention exercise, but when you are depressed it can be hard to get out and be motivated to do so. You first have to address the cause of the depression. Maybe it is seasonal, that is if you aren't getting vitamin D from the sun, take some tablets. If it is something in your life affecting you, family, finances, etc, then you'll have to correct that accordingly. Maybe it is making a plan to get out of debt if that is causing it. Once you start into that, then you'll feel better, relieved, the pressure will be gone and you'll come out of the depressed state. If someone in your life is holding you back, then avoid them. Find a new hobby, a new group of people, whatever it is to correct the source. Once you do that, you'll be surprised how quick you come out of depression.
  • MisterKinsey
    MisterKinsey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am not, by any means, an expert on mental health so anything I say is based on personal experience. Everyone (at least most folks) have a bit of depression from time to time; but for some it is a clinical issue. I trust that you have sought the professional help of a physician/psychiatrist.

I made an interesting discovery earlier this year relative to periodic bouts of mild depression/anxiety. While in a funk, I started researching connections between food and depression/anxiety and found a pretty good correlation between dairy intake (milk based products) and feelings of sadness. I have cut out all milk based foods and, as long as I am diligent about avoiding them, I have no issues. Any time I eat milk based products, I get a mild bit of sadness/depression which passes within 24 hours or so.

While it may not be helpful for you, there is certainly no harm in cutting out dairy to see if that has any effect on your condition.

Also, as many others have said, keep yourself busy with meaningful work, hobbies, and social groups. Remember, not everyone is happy all the time. Be gentle with yourself.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I so can relate. I have dealt with depression most of my adult life. However the last five years it's been a accute.or severe. I am well aware of what brought on this horrible and long depression. Occurred when my husband of 28 years just decides he doesn't want to be married any more (at least to me, he was remarried with in two weeks of the divorce). My entire life has been turned upside down, have had to move about six times trying to find a place to call home, all while having to live with different family members. During this time my weight got really bad, but I just didn't care anymore. I am so much better than even a year ago, thanks to too wonderful drs and ect treatments. My psychologist has been on top of my meds tweeting them. My therapist didn't really have to look far to see where the depression came from it was pretty obvious. She has really gotten me to work real hard and fight for myself. I have horrible confidence actually barely any at all. During this time I put on wieght and let everything else go as well. Until one day not to long ago my daughter and I were having a discussion about my life, and she came right out and said it's embarrassing mom, you don't take care of your body or your hygien anymore. I replied it doesn't matter I have no one to look good for anyway. That's when she reminded me I have her and my son and my grands. She also mentioned how horrible the cig smoke was, how my grands didn't like to come close to me because of the odor. Very next day I made myself stop smoking, and afew days after that I found a program on line which led me to MFP, I have been using both programs to help me. 18 weeks and I've lost 21 lbs. however I am yet to get myself motivated to start training. Like you I have no motivation (although I am improving on that). My life had been pretty sedimentary for along time. I am more active now because with the weight loss I have felt some better, along with being proud of myself for the smoking thing. Everyone has recommended exercise to me, and I have great in tensions but always seem to put it off another day or another week. And it's not as easy as most people think, it's not a nike commercial of "just do it". Although I know people mean well for that kinda advice, but it's not understood if they haven't walked in depression shoes. I know the exercise would be good for me in so many different ways, there's just this road block and it's not laziness.
    So I guess what I wanted to tell you is that your not alone. I would say definitely get a psychiatrist and a therapist, and do the best you can. Baby steps seem to work the best, have reasonable goals. And if you can get the exercise in, go for it. I have to admit seeing my weight go down has surely helped.
    I wish you all the best, and know if you work towards a recovery you will make it, just do it for yourself and if you can't then do it for your loved ones.
    I tell myself that I'm gonna slap depression right in the face. Remember little steps, goals that are attainable . You will make it. I am and I know how difficult it is, but believe me if I can then anyone can. And you will.
    Thoughts and prayers for you and all the others that are in this thread fighting the same battle.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Looks like a lot of people have said it already. Exercise helps soooo much! My first real evening back in the gym after 2 years, I felt so sad and stressed and anxious, I didn't know what to do--so I went to the gym. (I did come home afterward and get extremely drunk off old fashioneds/listen to early 90's r&b and dance around my kitchen too). Anyway...I've never looked back since then. The gym honestly helps me keep my anxiety and moods in check. You just gotta GO!
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Although I know people mean well for that kinda advice, but it's not understood if they haven't walked in depression shoes. I know the exercise would be good for me in so many different ways, there's just this road block and it's not laziness.
    So I guess what I wanted to tell you is that your not alone. I would say definitely get a psychiatrist and a therapist, and do the best you can. Baby steps seem to work the best, have reasonable goals. And if you can get the exercise in, go for it. I have to admit seeing my weight go down has surely helped.

I completely understand that feeling.

And I hate people telling me I'm just lazy, but when I'm depressed doing things just seems like an insurmountable obstacle. What worked for me was the baby steps you're talking about. Walking two blocks instead of one. Walking to the store for milk instead of driving. I focused on getting sunshine & being more active than just sitting on the couch. And it worked - I got all the way back up to running again over the course of months. I feel so. much. better.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Depression can be resolved by changing what you eat.
    Maybe it helped you, but for most people with a brain disorder, they need actual medical help, real science backed by research, to stop getting worse or even get better.
    That being said, I've read studies saying that exercise (regular, sustained cardio/aerobic exercise) is as effective for some people as medicine.
    Start where you are. If all you're up to right now is walking to the end of the driveway & back, do that. Then do it again this afternoon. Then do it again tomorrow morning & afternoon. Eventually, increase the distance. FORCE yourself to do it, just like you take your medicine or brush your teeth. Yes, it's going to feel a bit foolish just walking to the street & turning around, but ya gotta start somewhere.

When I started exercising, I did 5 min on the treadmill. In a few weeks, I was up to 15 min, and I started some light weightlifting. I've been building ever since. I no longer (normally) feel exhausted, overwhelmed by life, or like I'm wrapped in an 8" stack of quilts & have to drag them everywhere with me. Most of the time I'm sort of blah, but that beats being down!
    when I'm depressed doing things just seems like an insurmountable obstacle
    YES! This!!!
    And it's not as easy as most people think, it's not a nike commercial of "just do it".
    It's not easy, no, but that's the only way: just do it.
    Get up off the couch or out of bed, put on your clothes & shoes, and walk around the block.
    Then you can go back to bed.
    Yes, it takes an incredible amount of willpower, which is why you set small easily-achieved goals to reinforce your success, which gives you more willpower. Eventually exercise becomes a habit.
    Last year, and for several years previous, I was a complete couch potato, severely depressed for years. On the highest dose of 1 psych med, with a medium dose of another to potentiate it. I decided I was going to start exercising, lose the weight, and it was entirely willpower... at least until I started seeing results.

[/quote]Malnourishment does affect the brain, and obese people are very often deficient in vital micronutrients; hence why one overeats uncontrollably. Nothing else worked for me; not drugs (is anyone born with, or develop, a deficiency of pharmaceuticals?) , not counselling, not exercise, not anything, until I changed the FOOD.[/quote]
    Part of why many people with depression overeat carbs is because they increase serotonin...
    which is what some psych drugs do, with no calories.
    And yes, it's already been answered that some people have a deficiency of certain neurotransmitters, which causes the brain to not function as it should.
    If that could be solved by taking a multivitamin, that would be a lot cheaper & easier.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Stop taking anti-depressants if you are taking any.

My biggest recommendation ... get out there and move it.

You will not need those pills and will feel a zillion times better without them. I know right .. they are supposed to make things better but in many cases make things worse.

I stopped taking them at the beginning of my journey and only take a very small dose now .. to help me sleep. But the depression is gone .. after decades of fighting depression.
  • dlb777
    dlb777 Posts: 13
    Options
    To my surprise, I have something called hyperparathyroidism, which creates huge levels of calcium in the blood. One of the symptoms is depression -- so you might want to ask your doctor about blood tests to see if anything biological is contributing to the depression.

As a lot of folks have written here, exercise definitely helps. However, if you're feeling depressed, your exercise has to be fun to motivate you. If you have a stationary bike or some other in-house equipment, exercise while watching a highly entertaining or humorous movie. The time flies by and you'll feel much better on many levels.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Depression can be resolved by changing what you eat.
    Maybe it helped you, but for most people with a brain disorder, they need actual medical help, real science backed by research, to stop getting worse or even get better.
    That being said, I've read studies saying that exercise (regular, sustained cardio/aerobic exercise) is as effective for some people as medicine.
    Start where you are. If all you're up to right now is walking to the end of the driveway & back, do that. Then do it again this afternoon. Then do it again tomorrow morning & afternoon. Eventually, increase the distance. FORCE yourself to do it, just like you take your medicine or brush your teeth. Yes, it's going to feel a bit foolish just walking to the street & turning around, but ya gotta start somewhere.

When I started exercising, I did 5 min on the treadmill. In a few weeks, I was up to 15 min, and I started some light weightlifting. I've been building ever since. I no longer (normally) feel exhausted, overwhelmed by life, or like I'm wrapped in an 8" stack of quilts & have to drag them everywhere with me. Most of the time I'm sort of blah, but that beats being down!
    when I'm depressed doing things just seems like an insurmountable obstacle
    YES! This!!!
    And it's not as easy as most people think, it's not a nike commercial of "just do it".
    It's not easy, no, but that's the only way: just do it.
    Get up off the couch or out of bed, put on your clothes & shoes, and walk around the block.
    Then you can go back to bed.
    Yes, it takes an incredible amount of willpower, which is why you set small easily-achieved goals to reinforce your success, which gives you more willpower. Eventually exercise becomes a habit.
    Last year, and for several years previous, I was a complete couch potato, severely depressed for years. On the highest dose of 1 psych med, with a medium dose of another to potentiate it. I decided I was going to start exercising, lose the weight, and it was entirely willpower... at least until I started seeing results.
    Malnourishment does affect the brain, and obese people are very often deficient in vital micronutrients; hence why one overeats uncontrollably. Nothing else worked for me; not drugs (is anyone born with, or develop, a deficiency of pharmaceuticals?) , not counselling, not exercise, not anything, until I changed the FOOD.[/quote]
    Part of why many people with depression overeat carbs is because they increase serotonin...
    which is what some psych drugs do, with no calories.
    And yes, it's already been answered that some people have a deficiency of certain neurotransmitters, which causes the brain to not function as it should.
    If that could be solved by taking a multivitamin, that would be a lot cheaper & easier.
    [/quote]

^a whole bunch of truth!! well put :)

exercise has definitely been my saving grace. eating lots of fruits and veggies has also played a huge part in helping with my depression. the food + exercise does the trick for your brain, and when you see the physical results it makes everything even better!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me and for the advice I am under my GP and am on antidepressants which I think is a good start

lauraloveslav - thank you for that tip about small tasks as at the moment I am focusing on the 2st I have to lose rather than breaking it into more manageable chunks

:flowerforyou:

A GP isn't specialized to treat mental illness. You need to ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist/psychologist who will be able to help you more.

Whatever antidepressant you are taking, stop it if you can (only if your doctor gives you the OK, of course). I gained 111 lbs from antidepressants and wish I never took them in the first place. They ruined my life, my body, and my health.

There are many alternatives to treating depression like:
    -Exercise
    -Cognitive behavioral therapy
    -Acupuncture
    -Essential oils
    -Supplements (specifically B vitamins and fish oil)

Remember, a routine is key. Getting enough sleep and eating healthy are also important. Go out and do something fun- something you've never done before.

This link discusses nutrition and depression: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738337/
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you! That doing your jog is impressive. From one depressed person to another... Lol. Best wishes
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Start with logging. Seriously. Just that. In my experience, depression can make things get overwhelming FAST. So be kind to yourself, and just start by seeing where you're at.

Do not stop taking your meds if they seem to be helping your depression. If you haven't been around the depression block enough times to realize, there are perfectly good GPs and perfectly awful psychiatrists, and of course vice versa. Unless you are taking prednisone (unlikely as it's an anti-inflammatory, NOT an antidepressant), you are not going to blow up like a balloon.

Depression can change your eating habits in the form of conscious and unconscious coping mechanisms - from psychological "comfort or anxiety eating" to *extremely* high carb consumption as an unconscious attempt at self-medication (carbs raise serotonin - not surprising then, to have those cravings!). However, neither depression nor antidepressants dramatically change your metabolism so that calories don't matter.

Do your logging. Find out where your calorie count is now (over say a week or so), and also, how do your macros (carb/fat/protein) look? If you use MFP on a smartphone, how does your piechart look?

That will give you a REASONABLE starting point for making doable changes, based on your patterns. What will give you the biggest improvement? Cutting out a daily soda? Eating 1 fruit or veg? It's a little different for everyone, but pick something easy that you'll be able to do, on say 8 out of your 10 worst depression days.

Go outside. Even if it seems like a silly, slow walk around the block - not challenging at all. Just do it. When you're depressed, getting outside is one of the best things you can do. And even if it's only 18 calories, you've done SOMETHING on the exercise front.

If you can do one small food thing, and go outside (even to breathe), then you will have been successful with two things, no matter how crappy the rest of the day is. And as you begin to see progress and feel better, you'll be able to make bigger changes.

It's easy when you're depressed, to beat yourself up for failing at one more thing. So don't set yourself up that way. Start by logging, use whatever prescription support you need right now, and take it from there.

You've GOT this! :flowerforyou:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Start with logging. Seriously. Just that. In my experience, depression can make things get overwhelming FAST. So be kind to yourself, and just start by seeing where you're at.

Do not stop taking your meds if they seem to be helping your depression. If you haven't been around the depression block enough times to realize, there are perfectly good GPs and perfectly awful psychiatrists, and of course vice versa. Unless you are taking prednisone (unlikely as it's an anti-inflammatory, NOT an antidepressant), you are not going to blow up like a balloon.

Depression can change your eating habits in the form of conscious and unconscious coping mechanisms - from psychological "comfort or anxiety eating" to *extremely* high carb consumption as an unconscious attempt at self-medication (carbs raise serotonin - not surprising then, to have those cravings!). However, neither depression nor antidepressants dramatically change your metabolism so that calories don't matter.

Do your logging. Find out where your calorie count is now (over say a week or so), and also, how do your macros (carb/fat/protein) look? If you use MFP on a smartphone, how does your piechart look?

That will give you a REASONABLE starting point for making doable changes, based on your patterns. What will give you the biggest improvement? Cutting out a daily soda? Eating 1 fruit or veg? It's a little different for everyone, but pick something easy that you'll be able to do, on say 8 out of your 10 worst depression days.

Go outside. Even if it seems like a silly, slow walk around the block - not challenging at all. Just do it. When you're depressed, getting outside is one of the best things you can do. And even if it's only 18 calories, you've done SOMETHING on the exercise front.

If you can do one small food thing, and go outside (even to breathe), then you will have been successful with two things, no matter how crappy the rest of the day is. And as you begin to see progress and feel better, you'll be able to make bigger changes.

It's easy when you're depressed, to beat yourself up for failing at one more thing. So don't set yourself up that way. Start by logging, use whatever prescription support you need right now, and take it from there.

You've GOT this! :flowerforyou:

Over 25% of people on antidepressants gain weight so you can't exactly tell OP she won't "blow up like a balloon." :smile:
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    ^^Gaining some weight is not the same thing as blowing up like a balloon ala prednisone (which is why I specifically called out that distinction).

The smartest thing to do is log your calories. That way you can see what is really happening. If you are gaining an unusual amount of weight on a (for you) small number of calories, it's time to get your metabolism measured - and your doc can do that.

What doesn't make sense is to:
    1. Decide meds are Teh Ebil and will prevent you from losing weight or even maintaining.
    or
    2. Don't log and just accuse the meds of making you gain weight (when in reality you are eating too many calories and probably not a balanced diet).

I've struggled with depression, with and without meds. And I have a medically measured low metabolism. I'm well aware that meds can change my dietary habits, so point 2 isn't finger-pointing or dissing others' experiences.

Like it or not, it will always come down to how many calories your body is consuming in a day and how many it's burning off. Whatever that number might be, *given* whatever meds you need to take.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Try spending more time outside and see if that helps. The sunshine and fresh air seems to really help. There are some good suggestions in this thread so maybe try a few and see what works for you. Good luck!
  • losingdays
    losingdays Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey chica - I'm 23 and have had depressed for the majority of my adult life. I'm so sorry you're going through this and understand 100% how daunting the concept of 'getting into' exercise can be ...if you can tackle that first exercise session and recognise what a huge step that is in and of itself you're already on your way to succeeding with your goals!
    Start out with going for regular walks is what got me going, even if it's just around the block you live on a couple times - you're out of the house and moving and getting some fresh air. After that's a regular part of your routine and exercise itself doesn't seem like too much of a hurdle I can't recommend highly enough joining a gym, all the fancy equipment is fun to play around with, there's a support system to make sure you're progressing as you'd want to be with the personal trainers/staff there, and because you're paying for it I find that alone motivates me more to go as much as possible!
    All the best on your journey. Be easy on yourself. Plan ahead and take small steps/focus on putting on foot in front of the other in all aspects of life and you will eventually find yourself where you need to be <3