Runnners and Toenails

Options
Ugh.
I'm signed up for a half marathon in November. I'm a working mom of 2 small children (13 months and 4), and decided that the best way for me to train was to lower my mileage and do a lot of hills. Disclaimer: This is not a good idea for new runners. I have been running for well over 20 years without injury.

The half course is very flat. My training runs are about 8-9 miles in length once per week, with a net climb of about 1500-2000 feet depending on my route. I work out 6 days a week, mostly weights, with different shoes. The problem: both of my big toe nails are falling off. There are no apparent issues with my finger nails or other toenails.

The question: Are hills associated with a higher propensity for toenail injuries? Does toenail fungus (ew!) tend to affect all of the toenails, or is it isolated to one toenail? I've never had toenail issues, and I'm surely hoping that this little foray into nasty feet is directly related to the hill training that I'm doing.

Replies

• karenannaturner
    karenannaturner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Has it been pretty humid where you live? I find that excess moisture in my shoes causes more blisters than normal. My toenails fall off when I get a blister under them. I guess the pressure from the blister lifts the nail, and then it cannot reattach or something. It is usually associated more with distance than hills for me, but if it is rubbing your foot a certain way maybe that is what is causing it. Good luck in your half!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I suspect it has a lot to do with how your big toe is "hitting" the end of your shoe. It might be a good idea to go to a store where they specialize in athletic shoes, not just one who sells them. Good luck.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree, since it's both big toes.

I'd be tempted to quit the hills for a while and see if that helps, assuming new shoes don't.

Youch. Good luck.
  • Sundogoh
    Sundogoh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have never lost a toenail and there are essentially no hills where I live. I would guess though it is your shoes.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How short are your toenails?
    I cut mine every few days when I'm doing a lot of distance work, so they recede more than usual. Gotta train the toenails too, haha. I hate toenails falling off - such a weird sensation when it's only attached by a little bit of flesh.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of your shoes and the hill training... the downhills in particular. The constant rubbing of the toenail on the shoe creates little blisters that can't breathe under your nail. High mileage in warm weather makes it more common because your feet swell. Shoes with wider toe boxes can help... or spending a few bucks on high end socks that have superior wicking. I run 40-45 miles a week sockless in minimalist shoes through the hills of Western PA and have minimal toenail issues. I attribute it to my shoes.