Ultramarathons - long term effects?

Options
For regular ultramarathoners (races >= 50k) , what has ultrarunning done for you? Do you feel your fitness level is better than if running lesser distances? Have they resulted in any health issues?

DH runs 100 miler at least every 2 months, and/or 50 miler once a month. He's been doing it for a few years and I see how it benefits him. I'm curious how it has affected other runners.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    FACT: every single person that has ever run even a single ultra marathon has eventually been found dead.

You're welcome
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    FACT: every single person that has ever run even a single ultra marathon has eventually been found dead.

You're welcome

True story. I've died. Twice.

Anyway, I am a baby ultra runner, only a few races, but I find that I recover more quickly from a 50k trail race than I do from a fast road marathon. Even with the brutal elevation gains, the softer surface and slower pace means less wear and tear. As far as fitness, it all depends what you mean. I run a slower 5k when training for a 90k race, but that doesn't really matter to me. Is someone who runs a 40 minute 10k more or less fit than someone who averages 10 minute miles over 15,000 feet of elevation change? Or someone who doesn't run at all but can bench 200lbs? Its apples and oranges
  • GeronimoMikk
    GeronimoMikk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I am a baby ultra runner, only a few races, but I find that I recover more quickly from a 50k trail race than I do from a fast road marathon. Even with the brutal elevation gains, the softer surface and slower pace means less wear and tear. As far as fitness, it all depends what you mean. I run a slower 5k when training for a 90k race, but that doesn't really matter to me. Is someone who runs a 40 minute 10k more or less fit than someone who averages 10 minute miles over 15,000 feet of elevation change? Or someone who doesn't run at all but can bench 200lbs? Its apples and oranges

These and anything else that comes to mind are all comments I am interested in, thanks! I'm not looking to compare it to other sports/exercises, just running lesser distances.

DH also prefers trails. One thing with the longer distances, he loses at least one toenail every race. It's not a negative for him though as he gets some masochistic pleasure in pulling the suckers out. LOL
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

These and anything else that comes to mind are all comments I am interested in, thanks! I'm not looking to compare it to other sports/exercises, just running lesser distances.

DH also prefers trails. One thing with the longer distances, he loses at least one toenail every race. It's not a negative for him though as he gets some masochistic pleasure in pulling the suckers out. LOL

Regardless of whether you're running long distance on trail or road, multiple toenails will be lost. It comes with the territory.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Speculation.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm new to ultras having just run my first (50k) this past April and training for my first 50 mile in October. I certainly feel better than I ever have, but probably too soon to tell. My brother has run several ultras including a couple of 100 mile races and he claims to feel no long term adverse effects. I run mostly trails and have put in a few miles (4,100) the past three years, but have yet to lose a toenail. I must be doing something wrong...lol
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm new to ultras having just run my first (50k) this past April and training for my first 50 mile in October. I certainly feel better than I ever have, but probably too soon to tell. My brother has run several ultras including a couple of 100 mile races and he claims to feel no long term adverse effects. I run mostly trails and have put in a few miles (4,100) the past three years, but have yet to lose a toenail. I must be doing something wrong...lol

That doesn't surprise me, LoneWolf.. You ARE a beast :).
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I haven't gone past 75mi but I've never lost a toenail- even on the canyon section of the western states trail, which had 7k of gain and (more importantly) 11k of loss over a period of 32miles. I would highly recommend "fixing your feet" by Jon Vonhof. It's amazing what properly fitted and laced shoes combined with clipping your toenails before ultra distance races can do for keeping your toenails intact! But hey, if he enjoys that sort of thing, more power to him.

As to fitness/health, there's a local runner who is 70 years old and has finished two 100s this year, with two more to go. He looks like he's 20 years younger, and if you weren't looking at him, you'd think he was in his 30s- at most.
  • karenannaturner
    karenannaturner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in these responses too! I haven't run an ultra yet, but my husband and I have been discussing it!!! :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    I haven't gone past 75mi but I've never lost a toenail- even on the canyon section of the western states trail, which had 7k of gain and (more importantly) 11k of loss over a period of 32miles.

I am so envious I can't stand it! I would love to run there someday....
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ultramarathoners don't run ridiculous distances because they're seeking ideal health. It's just fun. And a great challenge.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    I'm 56.... I might be dead before I know the long-term effects... I'm sure the day will come when I can no longer run, but today is not that day... and I want to know what it feels like to run a 100 mile race....regardless of the long term effect....I just want that moment.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've been running ultras since 2011 so that's not long enough to know what long term effects might come into play. I know I rarely get sick and the couple of significant injuries I did have occurred in the first couple of years when my inexperience resulted in poor decision making. I just did too much too soon. I'm just lucky that the price I had to pay wasn't higher than it was. I can maintain a racing/training schedule now that would have killed me a few years ago. I did 3 ultras in 2011 and I'm on track to do 10 or 11 this year. I've remained injury free, my recovery times have gotten shorter, and most importantly I've gotten a lot smarter about how to approach my training.