Should I use the calories burned through exercise?

Options
I am currently exercising twice a week and so far I haven't used the calories that I have burned which leaves me with a deficit of over 400 kcal for the days that I work out.

Should I use these calories? Will it affect my weight loss if I dont?

Replies

• DebsMcW1
    Options
    Yeah you should definitely use these calories! Also it lets you see how much exercise can help with weight loss. It's not just about eating less/more healthy stuff etc.

Good luck! :smile:
  • mutleyreid
    Options
    Hi there, this is quite a common question on here. I think that you should try to use most of the calories burned. There are smarter people on here that would explain it in a more technical way but if you do not feed your body it will hold on to the fat meaning it will slow your weight loss right down.

In short weight loss is a quick solution, if you exercise it will turn into a life style change! Good luck.
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    You need to make sure you are eating your burned calories if not all most of them. Otherwise your body will think your are starving it.
  • Loobyloo36
    Options
    I am also interested in the answers to this because surely if you burn say 500 calories one day and then eat those 500 calories, does that not defeat the object of trying to lose weight?
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    There are a few different views on this. I don't eat my exercise calories. Well, not all of them - sometimes I'll add on another 100 calories or something, but in general I leave about 75% of them uneaten. This works for me, and has done for a long time. That said, if I'm hungry I'll eat more but I listen to my body and don't make a habit of eating them just because they are there.

There are others who swear by eating all or most of their exercise calories and that works for them. I think people are different and you have to find what works for you.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I eat all most if not all of mine and it works because MFP has already calculated the deficiet based on how you set it up.
  • Loobyloo36
    Options
    I don't eat my calories but like some of you have said if I have exercised on that day I know I have X amount to play with so tend to eat perhaps 100-200 more depending no how hungry I am. I am only in week three and yes I do feel different, clothes fit me better etc., but whether eating all my calories would work better I have no idea! I struggle to eat 1400 calories a day as it is, so its a case of food control for me and making sure I eat what I am meant to and not live off junk food etc., :-)

I think once I hit that plateau I might up my calories to eat what I burn and see if that helps.

Do you find that when eating your burned calories you are losing weight quicker or is it at a slower rate?

I haven't weighed myself since I started but I know I am losing inches. Don't want to depress myself by getting on the scales just yet as I know that muscles weighs heavier.
  • radwan_masri
    Options
    I do eat the calories burned through exercise only if I am hungry; otherwise I tend to keep it off; I still feel good and strong; it also works for me this way