Calling all swimmers: What shampoo do you use?

Options
So, I lost a lot of hair around my hairline over the summer. It's super annoying because now I have all these little flyaway baby hairs growing back in around my face.

Anyway, I figured out that the loss was due to all the swimming/sun/chlorine over the summer.

Does anyone have a good shampoo that will remove chlorine BUT won't strip the hair??? I'm looking forward to warmer weather and the pool, but I don't want my hair to fall out again!

Replies

• Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too! :bigsmile:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I stopped using shampoo altogether and those dry flyaways are gone. It seems weird and counterintuitive, but my hair is cleaner and better than it's ever been in my life. Use lots of conditioner, scrub your scalp like you would with shampoo, and rinse very thoroughly.

Yeah, really! It works.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do have one. However, I can't remember the name of it. My hair guy recommended it and I buy it at the salon. I think it works very well and I have used it exclusively for several years now. My husband even switched to it, as he likes the way that it cleans his hair. I will look at it when I get home from work tonight and reveal the name! (Sorry I can't remember now!) Mary
  • steelyeyes1
    steelyeyes1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use the Boots own brand special swimming shampoo and conditioner.

I hope this helps

S
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll look into the Boots brand, and, Mary, I hope you remember the name soon. Would love to know it!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Okay, I got home from work so that I could look at my shampoo. It is Scruples Hair Clearifier. Here is a link to the Scruples site:
    http://www.scrupleshaircare.com/hair_clearifier.aspx

I get it at my salon, or I am guessing that you can find it online. I just use it with Pantene conditioner. Good luck, and happy swimming! Mary
  • alexandriajohn
    alexandriajohn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This topic is old; I thought I'd reply anyways. I swim A LOT and have since high school. My go to is l'oreal kids swim and sport shampoo followed by a hydrating conditioner (currently the ginger organix or living proof repair depending if I get to a salon or not). This is the only swim shampoo I've found that doesn't strip my hair - it's tear free, a gentle wash, cheap, and smells great :) don't let the fact that it is for kids bother you. If you swim laps, a Lycra cap rather than a silicone one would help reduce breakage.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I was once told that if you shower pre-swim (fully saturating your hair), it'll take on less chlorine from the water you swim in. Not sure if it is an old wives tail, but my hair seems a bit less rough post-swim when I do this.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I teach swim all summer and I use Biosilk in my hair daily after I shower. My hair stays soft, no breakage issues, but I also don't wear a cap.
  • idmalone
    idmalone Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I live in the tropics so swim in pools a lot. It was totalling my colour and hair condition. My hairdresser told me to buy the cheapest white colour conditioner and smother my hair in it before a swim. Works like a charm. She also told me people should use shampoo way less, as in once or twice a week just to get any product out. The rest of the time she said water is fine, and a little vinegar if the water is hard.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I use Biolage clarifying shampoo & conditioner. Saves my hair....as a redhead I tend to go green fast & this has stopped the discolor - all the breakage.