So I'm introducing myself?

Options
Hello wonderful people!
My name is Hayley. And here is a little about me.

I was quite young when I noticed that I was heavier than the other kids. (around 9) and back then I had no real choice of what I ate except for when I begged for the happy meal or candy etc. But I didn't know the importance of weight/nutrition so I didn't think I needed to lose any. Then middle school came around and the kids were awful to me. They literally moo'd at me in the halls and sometimes even in class and the teachers didn't even say or do anything. By then I was fully depressed and clinically diagnosed with severe depression which didn't help me at all for it caused me to eat more to cover the pain because food makes you feel good right? Anyway, by the time I hit high school I was "obese" I weighed around 290 and was about 5'8. I never got to finish school because the kids in school were so cruel I couldn't emotionally handle it.. so I dropped out. "Yo-yo" dieting ever since. That is until this summer I had finally had enough of feeling horrible about myself. I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and weighed in at 340 and 5'11. I'm at 294 now. I'm quite proud of this weight loss because it is the most weight I've ever lost. But I may not be doing it exactly the way a professional would have me. I am not the best at planning a diet. I just buy fruits, veggies and other healthy-ish things and I usually only get around 800-1000 calories per day (sometimes less) I know I know that's low and I do exercise every other day. I do squats, dips, planks, walk, lift small dumbbells and yoga. (I'm a beginner at yoga and I'm sure I'm doing it wrong and most people would laugh at me but I still try!)

And that brings you up to date. I know I talked a lot about things that are not diet related exactly but I don't like people making the assumptions that I'm just a lazy over eater or a slob etc.

If you have any tips they are very welcome, thank you. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Replies

• srd_23
    srd_23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi there, my name is Sarah. I also grew up chubby and had to deal with a lot of ridicule from the other kids. I handled it by getting into a lot of fights... People stopped mocking me to my face but I didn't have a lot of friends. I know its hard to deal with. It had to be worse for you, having a medical condition working against you!

I am surprised you are able to only eat 800-1000 calories per day! I originally set my goal to 2 pounds per week and it set me at 1200 as my calorie limit... I was starving!!! I changed it after only 2 days to .5 pounds per week, and I am WAY happier with the 1700 limit. It may take a little longer, but I'm making a permanent lifestyle change, and this is something I can maintain. I'll admit, I'm not an expert at all! But it seems like if you are exercising you probably need more calories than that. But, like I said, there are others on MFP that have way more expertise than I do.

By the way, congrats on the yoga! I started doing yoga a few weeks ago, and it is WAY harder than it looks! Its also amazing that you have lost so much weight already, you should be proud. Stay strong!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    hello Hayley :) you've made the first step and thats telling everyone, i can sympathise on the rough childhoold weight and emotional issues, we are very similar in that respect i was always fat to obese as long as i can remember, the only times i wasnt was when i finished high school i took up karate 7 nights a week and after 6 months i also decided to go on a strict no red meat diet, still ate chicken and fish and 3 days a week strictly vegetarian or fruitarian. that got me down to a very low weight after a few years and i kept that up for 6yrs before i lost interest in Karate due to politics and depression due to constant marijuana use amongst other reasons.

for the next almost 16yrs i was constantly depressed and cutting myself off from society as much as possible until my 40th birthday, when i had an apiffany and decded i was sick of being that person joined a gym, cut out all junk foods and junk drinks and cut back my calories by a third atleast.. in tbe past 15+ months i've gone from 112Kgs and over 40% body fat with critical blood pressure to currently 74.5-75Kgs and about 15-17% body fat. I never want to go back to that person.

You can friend me if you like, my diary is open to anyone, i'm on very often (532 day streak and counting). I'm no professional but as i see it the keys are keep moving, eat atleast 1400 calories and work out what best works for your body, which will be different to my body or anyone else's. My TDEE atm is about 2300 calories on an average day excluding intentional exercise. i do atleast 12000 steps a day including a moderately active job.

at 294 lbs i'd think you have a TDEE around 2800 on a lightly active day + your exercise on top, what do you do on non exercise days? anyway if that was the case you could eat around 1800 calories + exercuse calories just aslong as your deficit for the day is around 1000 cals you'd stand to lose 1Kg a week give or take, the body will do it's own thing so theres no magic number. with that much weight (no offense meant) you can undereat and be ok you have alot of reserve for the body to feed off of and you are doing resistance training in some form so you are unlikely to lose lean muscle in the process. I eat 5 meals a day roughly 3hrs apart, i have 2-3 600ml Whey protein shakes a day on average.
    you macro's ratio's a good starting point is 40/30/30. thats a nice even balance. Carbs/Proteins/Fats. you need fats just not saturated fats so try to limit those and keep sodium below 2500 unless you are sweating

Now if you have been eating 800-1000 calories for along time your body will have slowed down most likely to conserve as much energy as possible, it's not starvation mode just a slow down to become more efficient either way you dont want to just rush into eating 1800+ again. creap it up to 1200 for a week then 1600+ give the body a bit of time to adjust. and you may be suprised the weight might start falling off again. you can still eat low periodically just not recommended all the time.

Lastly fluids are a key atleast 8x250mls preferably 10 amounts of fluids a day, preferably not sugar drinks, water, tea, or in the form of the protein shakes are the best bet. and if you plateau mix it up eat more or less for a few weeks then go back to your usual.

Dont take any of that as gospel it's just what has worked for me.
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I sent you a friend request. I was in the 4th grade when it was pointed out, by a teacher, that I was heavier than the other kids. It explains a lot of my issues with authority and my body image issues. I have 2 kids who I hope I raised to love themselves no matter what size they were or didn't compare themselves to other kids but getting through childhood is fraught with challenges. They probably have phobias about going to the frig and finding soy milk instead of whole milk.

I've been back on here in earnest since may and have been losing 10 pounds a month. I started at 286 and figure to lose 130. I'm 5'6.

So, please accept my friend request and anyone else reading this - send me a friend request.
  • hayleykayshh
    hayleykayshh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Sarah, firstly I am sorry that people were mean to you too. It's unfortunate and doesn't help anybody.

It certainly didn't help to have a medical condition against me. But we get the hand we're dealt and have to make the best of it.

I did feel like I was starving at first but after a while my stomach shrunk I guess and it got easier.. still I do feel hungry between meals at times so I remind myself it will be worth it in the end, drink a glass of water and I occupy my mind with something else. I agree though that I probably need more calories but it's hard for me because I've been reading about food so much that I've gotten into the whole "GMO" thing and that just scares me so that limits a lot of what I can eat. But I do my best to eat healthy. And at the end of the day as long as I'm not feeling any negative repercussions, I'm okay with it.

Thank you! I quite enjoy yoga now. It is a lot harder than it looks! I've never had good balance so it's a bit tricky but I'm getting better. I feel great having lost the weight that I have in so many ways.. emotionally I feel proud and I feel the love that I have for myself instead of hatred and physically everything is easier now.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I got called baby elephant when I was around 5 years old, it's one of my first school memories, I also learnt to use my fists so nobody ridiculed me to my face, it wasn't a good or healthy way to live my younger years but sounds like I had it really good compared to you :cry:
    I spent my late teenage years and all my twenties pretending that I was happy and healthy (was around 200 lbs and secretly miserable/comfort eating) I didn't get the wake up call till 2009 (age 33) I was taking my youngest son to bed, and had to lay down for 5 mins to get my breath after climbing just 13 steps! I decided to start dieting January 1st 2010, I'd been burying my head in the sand for that long I didn't realise I'd hit morbidly obese, Sod's law I found out I was pregnant 3 weeks into my new diet, so I didn't diet while pregnant, just cut the rubbish out and portion sizes down, I actually lost 24lbs whilst pregnant.
    I started my real diet January 1st 2011, but like so many ate way too few calories, and yes I lost about 50lbs but also about half my hair, I'd started to slip back into my old ways as I had hit a plateau, I discovered this site through a friend and started to do it properly.
    I eat around 1800 calories a day and lose at a steady rate, the only exercise I do consistently is walking, my ticker doesn't show it as I've recently re set it but I've lost 97lbs, yes it's taken a long time, but I go periods where I'm just sick of counting and try to maintain for a while, I re set my ticker because I was getting a bit complacent after losing so much (hoping it gives me a kick up the backside lol)
    My advice........
    Eat more calories, it's better for you in the long run
    If you fall off the dieting wagon one day, don't beat yourself up about it, just start the next day as a new day
    If you walk use an app like endomondo, it's great for tracking how far you've gone and gives you a sense of achievement when you see the miles clocking up
    Don't cut out food you love, just eat them in moderation, I still eat chocolate almost everyday
    You have to learn how to eat properly, try to weigh your food, you'll be surprised how many calories you can be out by just eyeballing it
    I weigh less now than I did at 14, it is doable, but is going to take time, don't look for quick fixes (I've tried most they don't work)
    Hope some of this has helped x
  • hayleykayshh
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!

Paul, I kick started my diet with first becoming vegan. That was hard. I only did that for about 2 weeks then added in some chicken and fish. But I do still stay away from dairy as much as I can since I have an intolerance to it.

On non exercise days I mostly rest or do leisurely activities such as playing with my dog in the yard or gardening. Diet on those days are pretty much the same as any other day.

I don't feel much fatigue out of the ordinary but fatigue comes with my medical condition so it's hard to judge what is causing it. But I still have enough energy to do my exercising afterwards I'm completely exhausted though and takes a while to recover.

As for liquids I try to get the right amount everyday. I don't drink pop at all anymore and rarely have juice when I do I water it down, half water half juice.

Gloria, I have accepted your friend request (I think) :bigsmile:
  • hayleykayshh
    Options
    Lucyluosmummy, it is hard for me to eat more because it seems counter intuitive. Also because the family members I live with (my mom grandma and two older brothers) eat very unhealthy I try not to eat any of their food and just stick to what I know is good for me. My biggest problem is I just don't know what to eat.. I've tried those healthy low calorie recipes you find online but have never found one that I even remotely liked. If it doesn't taste good I won't eat it. So I find myself eating the same things day in and day out.. being fruit smoothies for breakfast, big salad for lunch sometimes with strips of chicken and then for dinner another smaller salad or sometimes a bowl of low sodium soup. And as a treat/snack a bowl of healthy cereal with dark chocolate almond milk.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm ashamed to say but I absolutely hate salad, the only salad vegetables I will eat are cucumber and onion lol, I agree though most low calorie recipes aren't good, have you ever heard of the hairy bikers? They did a show called the hairy dieters most of the recipes I have tried of theirs are lovely, especially the chicken korma recipe, do you eat eggs at all? Good source of protein and around 90ish cals each, do you cook? I got loads of soup recipes from food.com and a weight watchers soup book (soup is my go to thing I've got recipes from 86 cals to over 500) some of the higher soups I have tweeted to replace or leave out anything I don't want to be eating
    I do sympathise though my husband and 4 kids regularly have what I consider junk, and I appreciate that he wants to (occasionally) cook for me, but he just wants to feed me like he did years ago not realising I don't actually want to eat that much anymore it's very hard work when your the only one in the house doing it x
  • hayleykayshh
    Options
    I can only eat salad if I am dressing it with ranch (one of the few dairy products I eat now.) I have not heard of the hairy bikers, I'll look that show up. And I eat eggs on occasion like when my mom cooks for us all, I feel bad turning down her food so I just eat small amounts. I prefer hard boiled eggs though because greasy food upsets my stomach and my mind. I don't cook much but if I have a recipe to follow it usually turns out alright :tongue:
  • srd_23
    Options
    I totally feel you about eating food you don't like. As I am lazy and don't cook much I tend to keep it simple. Grilled chicken or fish with lots of spices. Baked salmon with orange yogurt and green onions (yumm!) is so easy to make. You just put salmon in some tin foil, add orange yogurt (or other flavors) and some chopped green onions. Close the foil and bake and voila! I also eat mixed nuts, light cheese sticks, bananas, light and fit vanilla yogurt with blue berries on top. I eat grapes mixed with feta cheese as a treat, kashi go lean cookies (yes COOKIES!), smartfood white cheddar popcorn, california rolls. I recently made a penne primavera with unsweetened almond milk, lemon juice, garlic, and a tiny bit of butter and flower. Mixed in a bunch of steamed veggies and it was sooooo good. I even made stuffed mushrooms, just went light on the cream cheese, added a little bit of plain light yogurt, canned salmon, chopped green onions, garlic, and lemon juice. It was amazingly tasty and wasn't too bad on the calories.

You could totally add calories and still be eating healthy. Its definitely a challenge when you live with people who eat unhealthy. Depending on your family, maybe they would be willing to support you by changing their eating habits? I am a single mom who lives with family to save money. They used to cook really bad (but yummy) food. I spoke with them and they were willing to move more towards a healthy diet. Its somewhere in the middle, but I find it much easier now that there isn't loaded 5 cheese mac n cheese with meatloaf for dinner! They cook food I can eat, and there is a trend towards healthier food in the house. Yeah, there is still the odd bagel and cookie, but for the most part my life is way easier!
  • hayleykayshh
    Options
    All that sounds yummy! I'll save those ideas.

I've talked to my family about it.. some are more welcoming of the idea than the others. My grandma wouldn't mind at all, she will eat whatever you cook since she can't anymore. My mom just yells incoherent things about "do it yourself" "I don't have time to think about healthy food" blah blah blah. She didn't even listen to what I had to say. but anyway.. my brothers are against it completely. They drink 6+ soda/pops a day. everyday. There's always all kinds of candy, chips, cookies, frozen pizzas and other things I consider to be junk. So, it's really just me and grandma eating healthy so I cook for us and I make enough for everybody in case the others want some too. I felt a bit guilty last night, I ate pizza with them but only had 1 and a half slices instead of what I used to do is eat 5-6 pieces.

Most of the fish I eat I catch out of the creek behind my cabin. Super fresh trout. Plus just going fishing burns calories.. it seems like a leisure activity but I tell you what just walking to the good fishing hole is a beast of a workout :laugh:
  • srd_23
    Options
    That's awesome! I've never had the patience to fish, but I love to eat a fresh catch! Its too bad your family isn't more open to the idea of a healthy diet. And between you and me, its ok to fall off the wagon every now and then as long as it doesn't turn into a binge. I give myself one cheat day per week. That way I have something to look forward to. It makes dieting a lot easier the rest of the week. Or, if I want to eat more I just work out so I can get some extra calories back!
  • demontank76
    Options
    hello Hayley & to the other people on this post. my name is Frank! i am similar in the way that i too grew up a cubbyish kind of a person. no one ever really made fun of me to my face but they always said some things when they thought i would be out of ear shot. the reason behind that is i think the kids were also scared of my height lol in a way it was hard to be the tallest as well as the heaviest kid in grade school. fast forward to high school i stayed a regularly activeish lifestyle. played football, wrestling, & track and field. but i was still one of the biggest guys around weighing in at 290lbs end of senior yr. that was close to 8yrs ago & now i weigh in at 373lbs

i joined MFP about a year ago at the request of my Doctor. for the first 2 months when i actally stuck to this i did pretty good lost about 20lbs. but slowly lost motivation to continue. i started this thing again little more then 2wks ago & so far lost close to 7lbs.

i don't know if i should add you or you add me but i would love to add of you people as friends on here in hope of staying motivated to get to my goal of 260lbs!! lol