Metformin for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Metformin can be very helpful for weight loss because it is known to cause severe bouts of constant diarrhea. It is a drug for diabetes and is very harmful to your kidneys. Take it if you must for control of diabetes (or "insulin resistance"), but get your weight under control through diet and exercise and get rid of that drug.

Metformin is one of the safest anti-diabetic drugs on the market. It CAN affect the kidneys but that side effect is not common and does not affect everyone.
  • sarahbai1
    Options
    Don't mess with your thyroid unless you have too. Once you mess with it, it's a life long issue
  • meliapple
    meliapple Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a insulin level of 76 when the normal range is 0-25.

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and hypoglycemia last year and prescribed Metformin. I took 1000 mg of the regular version and it worked wonderfully. I was no longer having to eat every hour to keep my blood sugar up. However, after a couple months I began experiencing very bad diarrhea and nausea after taking the medication. I switched to the extended release version and have had no problems. I do not feel it is as strong as the regular version so some have to take a higher dose on the ER in order to get any benefit.

*Note: Diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea are common side effects of Metformin although they typically go away after 1-2 weeks.*

Losing weight with insulin resistance is very difficult. Most are unsuccessful losing weight without a medication (although it really depends on how bad your IR is). For some, Metformin helps them lose weight. For others (like me), it hasn't helped me lose weight at all.

When insulin resistance is left untreated, it can turn into diabetes. So either way, you are going to need to change your diet drastically whether you take Metformin or not.

My insulin level is double what is considered "healthy" I don't have the number in front of me unfortunately.

I may skip it for now. I'm concerned about the GI issues.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly concerned because (TMI) I have had other symptoms related to PCOS so I wanted to consult my Ob/Gyn about it.

I'm not so much concerned about the weight loss as I am about whether or not it's worth the side effects to treat the problem at hand.

She also mentioned that my thyroid level is slightly elevated but that's a lifetime commitment and I don't know if I'm ready for that, or if it's worth it.

My TSH is high but I do not take medication for it because I don't want to. So you don't need to unless your doctor tells you do absolutely need to.

If you are worried about the side effects of Metformin, ask your OB/GYN to prescribe the extended release version. Around 32% of people taking the regular version experience gastrointestinal side effects. And only 7% experience it on the extended release version.
  • meliapple
    meliapple Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with your thyroid unless you have too. Once you mess with it, it's a life long issue

My thyroid is only slightly elevated, so I don't know if it's worth it.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

My thyroid is only slightly elevated, so I don't know if it's worth it.

My daughter was started on metformin because of fibroids and was told it is given to help shrink them and her thyroid is also slightly elevated the dr told her it can also help with weight loss. I've been on metformin for 9 yrs and did did help with weightloss in the beginning but not now.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Metformin is prescribed "off label" for weight loss and it works by keeping your insulin & blood glucose more steady.
  • crystalblair2355
    crystalblair2355 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    MY doctor told me that its primarily used for diabetes type issues but ALSO can be used for other things like chronic constipation weight loss and the others mentioned above!! i took it for about a couple of months and decided against it and she then put me on something else to help with problem
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I take metformin as an appetite suppressant because my antidepressants caused an insane hunger. It's an off label use but psychiatrists do it all the time. It's been a lifesaver. I've gone from putting on weight to losing a kilo a week.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    Metformin is used for diabetes and also pre diabetes, which OP has. Insulin resistance is pre diabetes.
    Metformin can help such patients lose weight by keeping glucose and insulin levels more steady.

This drug has been around fir a long time and used for this purpose for a long time - of course, there is a risk of side effects,as with any drug, but Metformin has a long track record and most people taking it have no side effects - kidney function side effects are not common at all.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I have mild PCOS and I took it to help get pregnant because my hormones were out of wack. At the time I was actively trying to lose weight (Dr said that would likely help me conceive) and I noticed the Metformin greatly reduced my appetite which made losing weight much easier. I can't tell if it directly caused weight loss since I was eating right and exercising anyway but definitely noticed I wasn't as hungry.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I do have PCOS and was also diagnosed as pre-diabetic in 2009.
    I lost 67 lbs in 9 months ( from 243 lbs to 176 lbs) taking metformin and watching my carbs/sugar intake ( eating healthier in general) No longer pre-diabetic. Of course then I became pregnant at 39. LOL.
    Now I started using this app my start weight was 215 lbs. Lost 19 already. Trying to lower my cholesterol and start taking care of myself.
    In my case I stopped taking care of myself in order to take care of everyone else ( husband, teenage son, and infant daughter) which is why I re-gained some.
    Hope this helps.

*** Just so you know I've never experienced any side effects other than some constipation which could be from my previous IBS issues. Metformin is a low priced option. Usually around $4 from our Kroger/Walmart pharmacy. So why not try it. Especially if you are pre-diabetic or showing signs.
  • jetpinkjess
    Options
    I take Metformin for diabetes, however, it is recognized as an effective weight loss drug. I know 3 people who have been prescribed Metformin for weight loss. It is safe and effective. It also helps hormone regulation. It is also prescribed for PCOS. I have been taking it for a month now and have lost a few pounds.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Make sure you know your HgbA1c number. This is a 90 day picture of your sugar levels. 5.4 or less is normal, 5.5 -6.3 insulin resistance. 6.4 frank diabetes. Most people are started on metformin around 6.0 or higher because at 6.4 your risk for a cardiovascular event approaches 20%. Whatever you do, extended release metformin, proper diet severely limiting high glycemic carbs, regular exercise, all of which I am sure your physician recommended in combination. Just make sure you address it.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I was prescribe Metformin to treat my type 2 diabetes. I was on it for quite a few years. Recent lab work came back showing that I was close to having kidney failure. My Dr. took me off of the Metformin immediately, and had me commit to drinking more water. This restored my kidney function back to normal.

That being said, I would not recommend using a diabetes drug for anything other than its intended purpose. Also understand that all these medications have side affects. Your overall health is not worth the risk. Also, I would not recommend taking anything for any reason other than its intended purpose. Each of these medications has side effects. So be careful.
  • JaniceStocks
    JaniceStocks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. I was put on metformin to help my fertility. As a result of the polycystic ovaries I had developed insulin resistance. When I was on metformin I found it easier to control my eating. I had far less cravings and felt more satisfied.

I went back on metformin about 4 months ago as an off licence prescription (now recommended for known sufferers of polycystic ovaries if it helps). I have lost 13Kg. My weight loss it slower than I would like but I also have underactive thyroid and a tendency to be sedentary.

I have found it has helped with my energy levels as well.
    I hope it helps you if you decide to take it.
    Jan
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've taken it and I did lose weight that being said I lost weight because it makes me too nauseous to eat anything. And I can control my blood sugar just as well without it by cutting out sugary drinks and cutting back on the Reese's cups.

This is what I was going to say... Taking Metformin made me so insanely nauseous that I couldn't eat for 6-8 hours after taking it.
  • stacysjourney
    stacysjourney Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been on Metformin for Type 2 diabetes, its not for weight loss. I have been diagnosed with PCOS- ovarian syndrome and haven't been on medicine for that. I don't even know how that would be treated with medicine. I would honestly start making serious dietary changes and start exercise. That is one way to get your sugars back in check.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Metformin isn't specifically for weight loss, but it can result in weight loss if you have insulin resistance -- that's why it's prescribed for diabetes, PCOS, etc. (they have insulin resistance as part of the package).

So, if you're one of those IR people, metformin may help you manage your glucose metabolism -- so you'll operate like a "normal" person. Many with IR also look to cut down on carbs -- I personally keep mine at 100 g/day or less. You've still got to put in the hard work of diet and exercise, but for those it works for with IR issues, the result can be weight loss --- just like it would be for someone without IR eating well and exercising.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It is for diabetes. It's supposed to increase your sensitivity to insulin. For the first week or so, it will be hard on your gut. Imagine you are the space shuttle, and the toilet is the launch pad and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect. You should adjust, though. Better still, while you are on this learn to eat so your insulin doesn't spike so much. It really matters what you eat, now more than ever. Wishing you the best in your journey!