I want fast food!! :-(

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Get it and work it into your calorie goal.

I think I may have had fast food nearly everyday this week.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Kids meal at any fast food is the correct serving size for ADULTS... so you can go with that... also remember you can normally sub out the fries for a side salad or fruit cup... I know you want fries but just be sure to plan ahead, they all have their calories online. I have looked at ones where we might go and gotten an idea of what I would or should pick other than the kids meals... but always when in doubt go kid meal or only eat 1/2 of the other meals. (there's 550 calories in a big mac)
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used to eat fast food 3-4 times a week so I know what u mean. Its definitely hard at first but after awhile I just didn't crave it anymore. If I want to eat out, I go to a real restaurant and have a good meal for a splurge. I figure its better for me than some processed nasty meat substitute from McDonalds. But if I'm really craving a good burger, I'll make my own. I usually use either ground sirloin or ground turkey, season the meat with some dry ranch mix ( adds great flavor!), with guacamole, onion, tomato, and lettuce on a toasted sandwich thin. Tastes like I'm indulging in a fat-laden bad for u burger but its really filling and half way healthy. To each his own, but that's how it works for me! Good luck on your journey :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Its not crap!!!! It helps so many people. I'm just sharing thank you.

It may or may not be crap, but it's still forbidden to promote products on the forums. #NowYouKnow
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You don't want fast food. You want fat, salt, and high fructose corn syrup because that's what your body and mind are used to.

I'm going to go against the many posts saying it's ok. It's NOT ok. That's enabling. The only way to get off fast food is to stop eating it. If you're craving those sensations, then follow what another poster said and make it yourself. You can make a burger healthier than what you'll get by going through the drive through. Wrap the burger in lettuce instead of a bun. Experiment but break the habit of thinking "it's ok just this once to have fast food". Your mind wants fast food because you're mind isn't satiated with the food you're eating now. Add a little extra olive oil to your salad, dash a little extra sea salt on your veggies but break the need for fast food.

I think it's dangerous advice to tell someone who's starting out on a road to wellness to work fast food into their daily calorie count. This is more than just calories. It's about bettering one's overall health.

But heck, if that doesn't work, just YouTube "pink slime" or "Jamie Oliver McDonalds" or watch any of the 100 food documentary's on Netflix.

You're right it is soooo dangerous.

eyeroll
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Eat it!!! I have it all the time! If it fits into your calorie goals ENJOY!!!! My daughter lost 65 pounds 6 years ago working AND eating at least one meal a day from McDonalds! She hasn't gained a pound back and still enjoys their food!
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Even the two very fit owners of the gym I go to, have a standing Friday evening take-out meal from the chip shop. They don't order huge amounts, and limit this to once a week. I am aiming for one day of cheating as well, still working on it though.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think it's dangerous advice to tell someone who's starting out on a road to wellness to work fast food into their daily calorie count. This is more than just calories. It's about bettering one's overall health.

If someone is carrying too much weight, losing weight is about bettering their health. Telling someone they have to eat X calories, balance it out with Y macros and only eat foods off Z list is overwhelming and unhelpful, particularly when they're used to eating whatever they want.

There are some foods I've given up - others I can't - but hey, as long as I maintain a healthy BMI, I'm a damn sight healthier than I was before. We need to compare our current state of health to our previous one - this is a personal journey. Maybe some people never eat fast food - and that's great - but if someone who used to eat fast food every day reduces to once a week, that's a great achievement and compromise.

Never compare your health to someone else's - we all start this journey in different places and we're only competing with ourselves.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I seemed to have ruffled feathers which was certainly not my intent. I tend to type in a succinct manner and I'm a passionate person. I'm definitely here to be supportive and not combative.

To the OP of the thread: I wanted to present an alternative way of approaching fast food cravings. I feel breaking bad habits is a key component to finding success. I also feel that the mental mind *kitten* many of us have with food is almost as important, if not more, to overcoming why we all ended up on a forum such as this. I stand behind my statement of letting go of fast food in favor of alternative meals to satiate you, However, I will always support you and your goals of becoming healthier. A dissenting opinion isn't always a bad thing. I'm only offering a different option of thought. :)

In general thought:
    Fast food in America has changed from a once in a blue moon treat (winning the little league championship, making the honor roll) to an accepted, or practiced, part of our weekly eating routine. I was guilty of it myself. I think that's where the notion of eliminating fast food is restrictive comes into play because it has become so ingrained into our society. From a caloric/ nutrition aspect I don't see how eliminating fast food is an ounce of restriction. There are thousands of options sitting in our supermarket to choose from.

I fully admit my mindset and changes in diet come from being diagnosed as a T2 diabetic. I realize not everyone on MFP falls into that category. However, I have yet to meet a cardiologist, endocrinologist, or registered dietitian who endorses supplementing a diet of fast food into their weekly goals of eating.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    All this thread has done is made me want to have Five Guys for lunch. So about to go change and go get some. Because it is awesome and it won't kill me or make me fat. Why? Because I watch what I eat otherwise.

And I am SO getting fries and eating every. single. one. Mmmmmmmmm
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Why not? I've eaten fast food twice this week and I still lost weight.
    Just check the calories before you order. Fast food is high in calories, but if you've eaten light prior there's no reason not to go.
    Eating healthy isn't necessary to lose weight. And if you're simply focused on being healthy then indulging once in a while instead of going cold turkey, especially in the initial phase, will help.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I seemed to have ruffled feathers which was certainly not my intent. I tend to type in a succinct manner and I'm a passionate person. I'm definitely here to be supportive and not combative.

To the OP of the thread: I wanted to present an alternative way of approaching fast food cravings. I feel breaking bad habits is a key component to finding success. I also feel that the mental mind *kitten* many of us have with food is almost as important, if not more, to overcoming why we all ended up on a forum such as this. I stand behind my statement of letting go of fast food in favor of alternative meals to satiate you, However, I will always support you and your goals of becoming healthier. A dissenting opinion isn't always a bad thing. I'm only offering a different option of thought. :)

In general thought:
    Fast food in America has changed from a once in a blue moon treat (winning the little league championship, making the honor roll) to an accepted, or practiced, part of our weekly eating routine. I was guilty of it myself. I think that's where the notion of eliminating fast food is restrictive comes into play because it has become so ingrained into our society. From a caloric/ nutrition aspect I don't see how eliminating fast food is an ounce of restriction. There are thousands of options sitting in our supermarket to choose from.

I fully admit my mindset and changes in diet come from being diagnosed as a T2 diabetic. I realize not everyone on MFP falls into that category. However, I have yet to meet a cardiologist, endocrinologist, or registered dietitian who endorses supplementing a diet of fast food into their weekly goals of eating.

No feathers are ruffled here. I cook the majority of my food, but I also enjoy eating out as well. And there is no reason to change that, in can be included within a very healthy diet.

My cardiologist, pulmonologist, and regular physician all agree that if it works into my day and helps me stay on target of reaching my goals then it's not an issue. I could go to McDonalds every day and still have good macros, it's about making choices that fit into my day.

Restriction comes in many forms, saying you can't eat this, don't do this, don't eat after 7pm on a full moon because it all turns to fat or whatever other stupid rule there is. If you keep this simple and sustainable to you then you have a better chance at success.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No feathers are ruffled here.

Restriction comes in many forms, saying you can't eat this, don't do this, don't eat after 7pm on a full moon because it all turns to fat or whatever other stupid rule there is. If you keep this simple and sustainable to you then you have a better chance at success.

This. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    14v39ld.jpg

Thinking about going to Mickey Doo's for dinner
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Get it and work it into your calorie goal.

I think I may have had fast food nearly everyday this week.

NO WAY!!! Really?! And you've lost all that weight even though you've eaten fast food? Ok, I won't feel bad when I have it once in a while then. :smile:
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    14v39ld.jpg

Dude... I'm like trying to stay away from this LOL! That's not helping :tongue:
    I'm so hella gonna go get some now. Thanks. :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How in the world are you people 'full' after eating a kid's meal? I don't even... I'd eat a regular meal and be starving two hours later...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    So go ahead and have some. If it fits into your calorie goals you won't gain weight.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You don't want fast food. You want fat, salt, and high fructose corn syrup because that's what your body and mind are used to.

I'm going to go against the many posts saying it's ok. It's NOT ok. That's enabling. The only way to get off fast food is to stop eating it. If you're craving those sensations, then follow what another poster said and make it yourself. You can make a burger healthier than what you'll get by going through the drive through. Wrap the burger in lettuce instead of a bun. Experiment but break the habit of thinking "it's ok just this once to have fast food". Your mind wants fast food because you're mind isn't satiated with the food you're eating now. Add a little extra olive oil to your salad, dash a little extra sea salt on your veggies but break the need for fast food.

But heck, if that doesn't work, just YouTube "pink slime" or "Jamie Oliver McDonalds" or watch any of the 100 food documentary's on Netflix.

:yawn:

Yeeeeah, I got my body eating plenty of fast food, and I've never had more energy or been stronger in my life. I don't think this poster know what he's talking about. It IS ok. As long as you know when to stop and don't make it an excessive habit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Eat 80% healthy, and 20% whatever you want. It's worked for me, and countless other people here. Just look up the IIFYMs group.

OP. practice moderation and the occasional treat, make it fit your goals like I said above, and enjoy.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    14v39ld.jpg

If only they looked this good in real life