• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    found the vegan.

:laugh:
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is produced on mass farms where cattle are held in small cells and not allowed to move around freely. Basically their entire life is eating and creating milk. They develop sores and infections from their stationary life and are treated with strong antibiotics, but let's face it, the cows can not move around so their chances of fighting infection are very slim. The solution? More antibiotics, of course.

The Contents
    The actual contents of this "milk" will surprise you. Among many other things, GMOs, antibiotics, and body fluids can easily be located in skim milk. Because of the infections caused by their sedentary life style and sores caused by constant milking, the cows need antibiotics to heal and produce milk. Also, cows are meant to eat grass, and wild feed. When they are fed corn, which is used on many of these "farms" they become ill, and more antibiotics are needed.

Products from open sores are able to make their way into the milk easily. The FDA does regulate what goes into the milk, but via their rules, 750,000 puss cells are allowed to be in each quart of milk, and it is easy to amount to that when you have cows living in these conditions.

Also, the FDA guidelines restrict the type of injections that the cows get. They do not vent this on every carton of milk though. Their rules allow injections of recombinant bovine growth hormones, a known carcinogen that is banned in every country except the U.S. This is used to stimulate milk production, but at what cost?

^^^^
    And you reckon this is ONLY applicable to skimmed milk?? This is the first time I have ever heard that different cows are used for produsing different kinds of milk - and that the differences are related to how they ar 'Kept".

And just for info - a lot of family are/were farmers. :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Semi-skimmed for me. Sometimes I'll have skimmed with my cereal, but then equally, there are times where I go, "Sod it - I'm only saving 20 calories and skimmed milk is not nice!" If you drink milk in your tea, it does all add up. Well done for finding a calorie saving which works for you! :)