Hummus vs. Mayo

Options
I think Hummus has become the God given alternative to mayonnaise for me.

It is so stinkin' good on sandwiches!

Anyone else? Or does anyone have another alternative that is not as calorie dense as mayo?

I mean, I love mayo, but it's not worth the calories when well seasoned hummus is so good.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Yummy, both!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I like hummus. It goes very well with hard boiled eggs too as a snack.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like hummus. It goes very well with hard boiled eggs too as a snack.

That's a new one to me. That sounds really good.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love both.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hummus is hummus and mayo is mayo.

i eat both ..

oh once made a delicious lamb burger and put it inside a pita that had hummus, feta cheese and spinach...

mmmm i might need to make that again
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    For me, hummus is great on my sandwiches because it also takes the place of cheese. I also use avocado sometimes, as an additional creamy sandwich topper.

If you're ever missing mayo, however, there are some great options with only 35 calories per serving.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    For me, hummus is great on my sandwiches because it also takes the place of cheese. I also use avocado sometimes, as an additional creamy sandwich topper.

If you're ever missing mayo, however, there are some great options with only 35 calories per serving.
    I still use mayo, so I won't be missing it. I enjoy mixing a little real mayo with Dijon country mustard on my sandwich with bread and butter pickles! Yum!
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Can you, (or anyone else,) recommend a good low calorie mayo that is comparable in flavor to good old Best Foods Real Mayo?
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I've also used really ripe, mashed avocado with some added spices, and sometimes something sour or tangy, instead of mayo or hummus. Quite nice, really.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    trader joe's reduced fat mayo doesn't taste quite like the real thing, but it is very tasty. i, too, like avocado on sandwiches. and sometimes galeo's ginger wasabe dressing mixed with a little sour cream is delish on almost anything!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I love hummus on sandwiches too! especially with some chopped kalamata olives, oregano, and tomato.

I also like avocado with mustard. If I have to have mayo, I use Vegenaise with grapeseed oil.

My favorite hummus is Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine. It's the lowest calorie and lowest fat hummus I've found, and I actually prefer the taste and texture to any other hummus.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    French's has a product called this:

Sooo Creamy & LIght Mild Mustard Blend with 20 calories for two teaspoons
    I have nto tasted it yet.

This is from French's:
    >>It combines the subtle tang of FRENCH's® Classic Yellow® Mustard with the creaminess of mayonnaise but with only 33% the calories and 5% the fat. Unlike mayonnaise, FRENCH's® Sooo Creamy & Light™ contains no egg-based or oil-based ingredients.
    Hold the mayo and try FRENCH's® Sooo Creamy & Light™; your tuna sandwiches and chicken salads will never be the same.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hummus on sandwiches. And on veggies, and on the spoon.. and on my fingers.. Really the vehicle that brings the hummus to my lips is completely irrelevant.

I also really love Mayo and I still eat it, just not as often as I used to and only if I made it myself. I am a bit of a food snob about some things and mayo is one of those things. I only like mayo if it's made with lemon juice AND vinegar... I also like only certain oils used to make it.

As much as I love Mayo and hummus, I also sometimes substitute avocado for mayo.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Mustard. I have a small collection of various flavored mustards and mustard sauces.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    For sandwiches I like to use tzatziki, baba ghanoush, Greek yogurt dip, mashed up avocado, mashed up beans (mix a little salsa for added flavor), mashed up roasted sweet potato, deli style mustard, hummus, mayo/ketchup mixed, or just plain old mayo. I don't like the nonfat mayos, but I do like Best Foods Light.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Can you, (or anyone else,) recommend a good low calorie mayo that is comparable in flavor to good old Best Foods Real Mayo?

I'm not familiar with that brand, but I use Hellman's Light and think it tastes pretty much exactly the same as the regular.

Oh hey - I looked it up, and "Best Foods" and Hellman's are actually the same thing! It's just called "Best Foods" west of the Rocky's and Hellman's east of the Rocky's. You learn something new every day!
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've used half and half mashed avocado + yogurt in tuna or chicken salad before. I've never been big on mayo, but tuna salad needs something to glue it together.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Mayo is the devil. Hummus is the best thing ever!!!!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I do keep some organic mayo in my kitchen because some recipes wouldn't be ideal to swap. However, roasted red pepper hummus is a great alternative. I also really love avocado as an alternative to mayo or butter. I've used plain yogurts in the past as well if it's not a sandwich and would be a suitable sub.
  • plumbucket
    Options
    Hummus is amazing in tuna salad! I tried it for fun, and I think I like it way better than may, to be honest.