Pasta Alternatives

Options
My husband is pre-diabetic so we've been trying to find some better alternatives to the carbs/starches we normally eat.
The other day we found two "pastas" under the brand name :heart: Tolerant. One is made with 100% red lentils and the other with 100% black beans. They don't exacly taste like pasta but I like the taste better than Whole Wheat or Quinoa pasta.
The Red Lentil pasta is mild enough in flavor it can work in most any standard pasta recipe... the black bean though has a black bean taste, so works great with mexican flavors (i mix chicken and red enchilda sauce with the pasta for an "enchilda" flavored dish - YUM).
The calories are just a little higher, but I think it's well worth it for the additional fiber, protien and lower glycemic index. If you see the "pasta" at the store, I would recommend giving it a try.

Another one we found is:heart: "Explore Asian" and it comes in Adzuki bean, Black bean, Soybean and Mung bean - it's also 100% bean (no wheat or rice). High protein, high fiber, low card.... and filling.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Just less pasta works for me :)

Not diabetic though but I'd imagine if the ratio of pasta to meat is favourable then there shouldn't be any ill effects.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    nice suggestions! love trying new things.
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love "zoodles" and even my picky kids love them. I bought a julienne peeler and just peel zucchini into strips. I saute in butter and garlic for a few minutes (keep al dente), and then add whatever sauce. Sometimes it's just butter and herbs. Very, very tasty and satisfying, with just the right texture.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    We do either Miracle Noodles (basically calorie free) or Black Bean Pasta you mentioned (made 100% from black beans, nothing else). I also have some kelp noodle pasta in the fridge I haven't tried.

It's never going to taste as good as the real thing. But if it bridges you and allows you to keep up a healthy lower calorie diet, it's worth it.

For me, eating things like real pasta sets off extreme mental hunger for hours. Just not worth it.
  • Levibrayk
    Options
    I have a diabetic SO. Trying to find alternatives as well, as he is a pasta fiend. I don't really care much for pasta except during those special times of the month. You know what I mean.

Zoodles is going to definitely be my meal for tonight. Thanks!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    also I've bought a spiralizer and make zucchini noodles for vegan spaghetti. the receipe I have is actually better than traditional spaghetti, especially in the summer. (cool not hot and doesn't make you tired)

img32c.jpg

rawbolognese2.jpg
  • mylossisgain
    Options
    I thought the shiritake noodles had a weird smell and texture no matter what I did. I reallly like seakelp noodles, (I think they are called Sea Tangle brand)? The are crunchy, and you can eat them cold. When you heat sauce & stir them in, they get a bit softer. I really liked them....no smell, no flavor at all, and almost no carb.
  • micheal_2014
    Options
    Zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash. Try miracle noodles if you like, but I found them to be absurdly unsatisfying, due to their texture and flavor (nothing like a really crappy pasta dish to make you crave a really good pasta dish).
  • FitRoberta
    FitRoberta Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also have a spiralizer as posted above in photos, and I find zucchini noodles filling and satisfying, though they are definitely different than a starchy plate of pasta. I usually microwave the zucchini noodles for a couple of minutes, so they are warm and they get softer.

Also, spaghetti squash is fun and sort of like magic! You roast the squash halves and scoop out the insides, which are noodle-y, and have a neutral flavor so they take different sauces very well.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    also I've bought a spiralizer and make zucchini noodles for vegan spaghetti. the receipe I have is actually better than traditional spaghetti, especially in the summer. (cool not hot and doesn't make you tired)

img32c.jpg

rawbolognese2.jpg

:love:
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Explore Asian has black bean spaghetti that's really good. The ingredients are black beans and water.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like the zucchini noodles also, and I'm not a big veggie lover so I love tricks to get more in
  • TheUnjaded
    TheUnjaded Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How about cauliflower rice? I hated cauliflower before, now I can't get enough. Grate or pulse cauliflower florets in a blender (until it looks like rice), put in a microwavable boil covered, and cook for around 7-8 mins (or until cooked) and viola!
    Add some herbs or spices for a little more flavour, I used onion powder and turmeric last night and it was heavenly.
    I know this isn't pasta, but it's still soooo good :love:
  • ricochette55
    ricochette55 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Beware the Shirataki noodles. They smell like fish and no amount of rinsing would ever completely get rid of it for me. I also got sick from them twice so I'm done with them. I prefer spaghetti squash, it has much more nutritional value anyway!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    agree with those suggesting spaghetti squash.. i love it! can't wait to make it now that the weather is cooling off.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic too and eat kelp noodles, only 1g carb per serving, and better than shirataki noodles (IMO). Here's a low carb meal that I made recently:

kelp.jpg

meal3.jpg
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunch is zucchini noodles uncooked with lemon juices and olive oil. Then I cut up a grilled chicken breast and toss it in.
    It's also good with a spiralized cucumber added.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I'm also diabetic, but when I eat pasta, I keep it to a small amount, and load up on the protein and veggies I add to it. Stretches it out.

You could try Dreamfields, but I wouldn't recommend eating more than the suggested serving...