Hungry

Options
I have been tracking on here for one week now and notice that unless I exercise I get really hungry on the alloted cal intake. And even though I have stayed within the max kcals every day my weight is at a stand still. I know I need to give it more time - but does anyone else notice the same?

3820646.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• mollyt37
    mollyt37 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make sure your diet has plenty of protein and water. This will help you feel full longer.
  • tokays72
    Options
    If your getting enough nutrition your body will not have cravings. Protein will absolutely fill you up and keep you feeling full longer. I eat lots of lean meats and tuna fish. I also drink Shakeology which provides me with pro-biotics, enzymes and nutrients that I just couldnt get unless I grazed on broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc all day. Im too busy to do that. Plus it comes in chocolate so no more craving sweets.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Are you watching your carbs intake? I was under my calories but way over in carbs. Carbs turn into sugar quickly and then into fat if its in abundance. Also, I've learned that my two biggest meals should be breakfast and dinner. Especially dinner, so I don't start having cravings suddenly. I try to fill up on whole grains and veggies before the main en tree. Hoped this helped, good luck!
  • tracylynn729
    Options
    Hang in there!! It is tough. As the post above said, be sure to use your calories with filling calories - lots of protein and water. I drink about 1.5 litres every day. That is more than 8 glasses. Also, if you are hungry, up the vegetables. Celery is a great filler, and you can pair it with Laughing Cow Cheese (Light), which adds very little calories. Small changes can allow you to eat more and feel fuller.

Losing weight is also a math game. One pound equals 3000 calories. In order to lose one pound a week, you need to cut 3000 calories. For example, an average weight/height person needs 2200 calories per day. To cut that down, plus burning more calories with exercise, you can burn/cut 3000 each week. It is also recommended that you don't expect daily weightloss, instead, weekly or biweekly. Our bodies naturally fluctuate in the amount of water we retain. For example, maybe you had too much salt one night, which will retain water, and seem like you are heavier on the scale. (Weight loss at home typically isn't like the Biggest Loser - you aren't burning 3000 calories a day through intense exercise and dieting!)

Finally, it takes some time to see weight changes, especially if you are building muscle in your workouts (which you should be! Its not just about cardio!). Strength training will continue to burn calories AFTER your workout! So as you build muscle, you will also notice no weight change as you turn fat to muscle. The fat will start to decrease and you might even notice changes in inches rather than weight first. (If I use the Biggest Loser as a reference, its like their 2nd week at the ranch where they typically don't lose a lot of weight - because they are building muscle too).

Need help motivating yourself? Try measuring different parts of your body and then come back to it every other week, or once a month. Measure the middle of your bicep, flexed, measure your shoulders, neck, chest, waist, hips, legs, and calves.

These are all the things I have learned in my weight loss journey.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I felt hungry A LOT. I think it's natural because your body is used to being fed so much more. It was honestly pretty miserable, but iIt makes you really want to get the most fullness out of every calorie you consume.

Lentils have been a life saver. They are packed full of fiber and protein which both help you stay full longer. Fiber can get a bad rap sometimes but it's really a key to weight loss. Fiber fiber fiber!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! It is tough. As the post above said, be sure to use your calories with filling calories - lots of protein and water. I drink about 1.5 litres every day. That is more than 8 glasses. Also, if you are hungry, up the vegetables. Celery is a great filler, and you can pair it with Laughing Cow Cheese (Light), which adds very little calories. Small changes can allow you to eat more and feel fuller.

Losing weight is also a math game. One pound equals 3000 calories. In order to lose one pound a week, you need to cut 3000 calories. For example, an average weight/height person needs 2200 calories per day. To cut that down, plus burning more calories with exercise, you can burn/cut 3000 each week. It is also recommended that you don't expect daily weightloss, instead, weekly or biweekly. Our bodies naturally fluctuate in the amount of water we retain. For example, maybe you had too much salt one night, which will retain water, and seem like you are heavier on the scale. (Weight loss at home typically isn't like the Biggest Loser - you aren't burning 3000 calories a day through intense exercise and dieting!)

Finally, it takes some time to see weight changes, especially if you are building muscle in your workouts (which you should be! Its not just about cardio!). Strength training will continue to burn calories AFTER your workout! So as you build muscle, you will also notice no weight change as you turn fat to muscle. The fat will start to decrease and you might even notice changes in inches rather than weight first. (If I use the Biggest Loser as a reference, its like their 2nd week at the ranch where they typically don't lose a lot of weight - because they are building muscle too).

Need help motivating yourself? Try measuring different parts of your body and then come back to it every other week, or once a month. Measure the middle of your bicep, flexed, measure your shoulders, neck, chest, waist, hips, legs, and calves.

These are all the things I have learned in my weight loss journey.

Sorry but I have to make corrections. One pound equals 3500 calories. And fat doesn't turn into muscle - you might not have meant exactly that. You lose fat but gain muscle and muscle is denser but takes up less space. But I do agree with not relying on the scale numbers. Go by how your clothes it and how you feel. :smile:

Give your body time to adjust to all the changes. Make sure your Carb/Pro/Fat is balanced, eat at least 1200 per day and exercise. Put in some longer, lower intensity workouts - good for fat burning, high intensity workouts (still burning plenty of fat but more calories overall!) and strength training. You'll see it happen.