Just diagnosed with Pre-diabetes

Options
I have been gaining weight and some other crazy things with my body over the last 8 months or so. Going to the doctor and getting some blood work to see what is going on with me, it determined my A1c was in the pre-diabetic range.

I know I am over weight now because like I said I was gaining weight. But before all this weight gain I have experienced I wasn't crazy over weight. I had started Myfitnesspal and lost 20 lbs. Then I was put on Celexa and I feel like that made me gain 15 lbs. The other 25 lbs came over the last 8 months. That is a lot of weight to gain in just a short period. Over the summer I am not going to lie I have not been so active, but over the school year I am super active. And I feel like I wasn't eating too bad.

So what is doing on in my head is I was diagnosed with this because I am so FAT. That is my insecure head talking to me.

So now I want to nip this almost diabetes diagnoses in the bud. With a family history of diabetes in the family I am also afraid that even working at losing this weight and getting healthy, I will still get this scarey disease.

Well I am asking anyone who wants to help and may be in the same boat as me, how do I get started. I feel like I already have the tools in my head to know what is good for me and what I should eat to lose weight; but I don't know what I should eat and not eat with this pre-diabetes diagnoses.

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I gained 111 lbs on antidepressants so I feel your pain.

I'm not pre-diabetic or diabetic but I have insulin resistance and hypoglycemia and follow a diet similar to those with diabetes.

-No simple carbohydrates (cereal, cookies, cake, cheesecake, candy, juices, etc.)
    -Complex carbohydrates only (oatmeal, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits, brown rice, whole grain pasta/bread)
    -Never eat carbs alone- ALWAYS pair with protein and fat
    -Do not eat more than 30 grams of carbs per meal; no more than 15 grams of carbs per snack
    -Nuts/seeds and cheese sticks are great for snacks. If you want an apple for a snack, pair it with peanut butter. If you want a banana (I'm a banana addict), buy the smaller bananas (less carbs/sugar) and pair with PB.
    -Protein, protein, and more protein!!! (eggs, chicken, turkey, salmon, tilapia, tuna, red meat in moderation)
    -Legumes are a great source of protein and fiber for the days you don't want to eat meat
    -Pay close attention to your carb/sugar intake. You should aim to keep your carb intake at/less than 130-150 grams a day
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Weight loss or health?

If it's both, try making some lifestyle changes. Add healthy foods to your diet. Slowly replace the less healthy things with more healthy ones. You can eat a LOT more food if it's fruits and veggies!

If you adopt healthier habits, they'll stay with you. It's a little difficult at first, but you'd be surprised how fast you get used to it and how good you feel!!

When you're done losing weight, you won't have to be checking calories all the time or weighing food. You will be able to eat a good amount of healthy food and not have to deal with all that work.

Talk to your doctor about your diet, for sure. Get your recommendations there.

Don't freak out, but do make changes. :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    And I feel like I wasn't eating too bad.

I feel like I already have the tools in my head to know what is good for me and what I should eat to lose weight
    Do you actually count calories or do you simply feel that your eating enough or too much?

Maintaining a calorie deficit will help you lose weight. Losing weight can help stop the progression of pre-diabetes to full blown diabetes.
    I don't know what I should eat and not eat with this pre-diabetes diagnoses.
    Cutting down on carbs is a good starting point given your diagnosis. Counting cals on MFP also gives you the tools to track your carb intake.

Here's a site with more info regarding diabetes: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you have to do to avoid diabetes. Do not procrastinate or fool around with impending diabetes!

Don't rely on support from ANYONE. Make a decision to do this yourself and do it.

Get a nutritionist to work with you if you can afford it.

If a nutritionist is not in your budget and/or not covered by your insurance, then make an appointment with an ENDOCRINOLOGIST. Not a PCP or general internist.

Ask the endocrinologist to give you a food plan and/or detailed nutritional advice. Ask that it be printed out for you.

Buy a scale and weigh your food.

If you don't cook, learn how. There are plenty of diabetic cook books on the market.

Make up your mind and don't drop the ball. Don't get diabetes!

^ This so very important. I beat this thing myself with out meds because I got scared and jumped on it right away. Getting into eating correctly for the issue, Getting some exercise ( and just walking 30 min. a day will help) I also used the test strips all the time till I got a handle on it. These will help tell you if what you are doing and what you are eating is helping so you can adjust to keep it working. You would be surprised at what different foods do to spike your blood sugars up , sometimes very pleasant surprises also.

Get on the ADA Web site will also help to explain what is happening to you and some good tips on how to correct it.

Now is your chance take it and WIN. :drinker:
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    read the works of neal barnard and john mcdougall. Carbs aren't the bad guy.
  • Tigg_er
    Options

No but I think the wrongs used incorrectly can be departmental to controlling blood sugar spikes.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have been gaining weight and some other crazy things with my body over the last 8 months or so. Going to the doctor and getting some blood work to see what is going on with me, it determined my A1c was in the pre-diabetic range.
    (snipped)

So now I want to nip this almost diabetes diagnoses in the bud. With a family history of diabetes in the family I am also afraid that even working at losing this weight and getting healthy, I will still get this scarey disease.

Well I am asking anyone who wants to help and may be in the same boat as me, how do I get started. I feel like I already have the tools in my head to know what is good for me and what I should eat to lose weight; but I don't know what I should eat and not eat with this pre-diabetes diagnoses.
    Mstarr;

I'm not, technically, "in the same boat" as you (re pre DM) but was warned by my Doc that I was "getting close".

As type 2 runs in our families as well, those words scared the you know what out of me as I'm sure it did you as well.

Being of the geeky persuasion that I am, I proceeded directly to the googlemachine in search of every piece of "science" I could find on what to do about it.

First, the "good" news - Type 2 (T2D) does NOT mean an "automatic" progression to Type 1 is your destiny. Indeed, a very small percentage of those with full blown T2D EVER subsequently "progress" to T1D.

They (T2D and T1D) are totally different conditions and if your diagnosis was "pre DM" it's highly likely it means "pre" T2 - your Docs would know if it was T1 and have put you on insulin injection now.

The even "better" news is that T2D is manageable (diet being a major contributor to management), and indeed, in some cases it's reversible - even for those past the "pre" stage.

The KEY is diet.
    Not cals (per se), and not exercise (although exercise is beneficial for other reasons).

I'm not a proponent of the advice to "get yourself a dietitian" simply because way too many of them have be trained in the low cal / low fat hocus pocus that has proven to be so disasterous over the span of most of their lives. (One need only look at the results of that advice over the last 40 years - obesity, diabetes, and a host of other maladies have skyrocketed at unprecedented rates).

If, by chance, you are able to find one willing to depart from the "conventional wisdom" great - but the odds are against it and I'd suggest that the information is out there for the taking if you are willing to invest the time and effort. It's YOUR body, your health, and your decision.

Cliff notes version of what I've learned;

It's all about your body's (natural) ability to produce insulin - everything else flows from, and depends on that - blood sugar levels, fat production (or reduction), and whether or not your "condition" will progress to the point where the body simply "requires" an external source of insulin (as in pills or shots).

The human body is an incredible machine and if properly fueled, AND the organs allowed to do what they are designed to do, it functions just fine. Just like you don't have to have the "willpower" to tell your body when to breathe, neither must you tell it what to do to produce the proper levels of insulin. Feed it the right nutrients and it will produce the desired results almost 'magically".

There are limits though, and like any "machine", if you exceed those limits (improper balance of fats, carbs, proteins, and assorted other nutrients) - something will fail - it's "incredible", NOT "invincible".

You have already received some good advice (and some, not-so-good) and I hope I'm not repeating what a previous poster might have offered, but here's where I would start if I were you.

First, head to the kindle store (even if you don't have one, you can download a "free" reader and read on your box) and get this book (it's a pretty good mix between the "science" and language us normal "folk" can comprehend)
    http://tinyurl.com/mt8ctas
    It's under 10 bucks, a fairly easy "read" and will give you a good base on which to proceed, and "why".

Next, head over to this website. The author is an MD, has spent years researching nutrition and the effects on the human body, and as far as I know, isn't 'selling" anything.
    http://tinyurl.com/btcr73o

For under 10 bucks and a few (well maybe more than a "few") hours of your time, you'll likely be better informed on what actually matters to YOU, than at least 8 out of 10 "dietitians", "personal trainers", or other "experts", on how the body works, how to minimize (or maybe even reverse) your current situation.

Armed with that knowledge, you'll be in a much better position when others (including your doc, maybe) suggest what you "should do".

Not saying that you shouldn't listen to your doc (absolutely you should) but unless I missed it, other than his/her admonition to "lose weight" I didn't see where you received any other specific dietary advice.

Losing weight IS an important factor, BUT, it's more important HOW you do it, and HOW you modify your diet - both for long term success and for the impending DM "issues".

The answer is NOT "count cals" and exercise.

It IS, "get the percentages right".

Best of luck on your journey.
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    (snipped)

Mstarr;

I'm not, technically, "in the same boat" as you (re pre DM) but was warned by my Doc that I was "getting close".

As type 2 runs in our families as well, those words scared the you know what out of me as I'm sure it did you as well.

Being of the geeky persuasion that I am, I proceeded directly to the googlemachine in search of every piece of "science" I could find on what to do about it.

First, the "good" news - Type 2 (T2D) does NOT mean an "automatic" progression to Type 1 is your destiny. Indeed, a very small percentage of those with full blown T2D EVER subsequently "progress" to T1D.

They (T2D and T1D) are totally different conditions and if your diagnosis was "pre DM" it's highly likely it means "pre" T2 - your Docs would know if it was T1 and have put you on insulin injection now.

The even "better" news is that T2D is manageable (diet being a major contributor to management), and indeed, in some cases it's reversible - even for those past the "pre" stage.

The KEY is diet.
    Not cals (per se), and not exercise (although exercise is beneficial for other reasons).

I'm not a proponent of the advice to "get yourself a dietitian" simply because way too many of them have be trained in the low cal / low fat hocus pocus that has proven to be so disasterous over the span of most of their lives. (One need only look at the results of that advice over the last 40 years - obesity, diabetes, and a host of other maladies have skyrocketed at unprecedented rates).

If, by chance, you are able to find one willing to depart from the "conventional wisdom" great - but the odds are against it and I'd suggest that the information is out there for the taking if you are willing to invest the time and effort. It's YOUR body, your health, and your decision.

Cliff notes version of what I've learned;

It's all about your body's (natural) ability to produce insulin - everything else flows from, and depends on that - blood sugar levels, fat production (or reduction), and whether or not your "condition" will progress to the point where the body simply "requires" an external source of insulin (as in pills or shots).

The human body is an incredible machine and if properly fueled, AND the organs allowed to do what they are designed to do, it functions just fine. Just like you don't have to have the "willpower" to tell your body when to breathe, neither must you tell it what to do to produce the proper levels of insulin. Feed it the right nutrients and it will produce the desired results almost 'magically".

There are limits though, and like any "machine", if you exceed those limits (improper balance of fats, carbs, proteins, and assorted other nutrients) - something will fail - it's "incredible", NOT "invincible".

You have already received some good advice (and some, not-so-good) and I hope I'm not repeating what a previous poster might have offered, but here's where I would start if I were you.

First, head to the kindle store (even if you don't have one, you can download a "free" reader and read on your box) and get this book (it's a pretty good mix between the "science" and language us normal "folk" can comprehend)
    http://tinyurl.com/mt8ctas
    It's under 10 bucks, a fairly easy "read" and will give you a good base on which to proceed, and "why".

Next, head over to this website. The author is an MD, has spent years researching nutrition and the effects on the human body, and as far as I know, isn't 'selling" anything.
    http://tinyurl.com/btcr73o

For under 10 bucks and a few (well maybe more than a "few") hours of your time, you'll likely be better informed on what actually matters to YOU, than at least 8 out of 10 "dietitians", "personal trainers", or other "experts", on how the body works, how to minimize (or maybe even reverse) your current situation.

Armed with that knowledge, you'll be in a much better position when others (including your doc, maybe) suggest what you "should do".

Not saying that you shouldn't listen to your doc (absolutely you should) but unless I missed it, other than his/her admonition to "lose weight" I didn't see where you received any other specific dietary advice.

Losing weight IS an important factor, BUT, it's more important HOW you do it, and HOW you modify your diet - both for long term success and for the impending DM "issues".

I believe you are correct in the % thing but I disagree with the exercise issue. I'm saying just simply moving more and getting some type of cardio will help with the total health picture. Again just walking helps. After taking blood samples before cardio and 1/2 hour after cardio my (notice I say my blood sugars dropped)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

So fat is the bad guy???

Doc barnard thinks all diabetics should be on a low fat vegan diet. No thanks.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/medicine-is-hard-and-should-be-practiced-with-caution/
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Neal Barnard is a quack of the first water, a member of the PCRM (read: PeTA patsy organization), and an animal rights/vegan nutjob. He has ZERO credibility.
  • danicaone_101
    danicaone_101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,

I know exactly how you are feeling. Knowing that you got diagnosed with a terrifying disease sucks big time. But you know what, give yourself credit for getting checked out. Give yourself credit for going to the doctors and getting blood test done. Give yourself credit for taking the initiative to live a healthier life. Please do not let your insecure thoughts get in the way of your goal. Your mind and body are powerful things. Weight could have been a factor but there are other factors that influence your sugar level as well. You want to kick diabetes butt then tell yourself "I CAN DO IT AND I WILL DO IT"

That is great that you know what you need to do to kick diabetes butt. Now you need to put that plan into action. There are some helpful websites that break down healthy meals to control your sugar level. Exercise and proper nutrition are key. Maybe see a nutritionist for more advice.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I gained 111 lbs on antidepressants so I feel your pain.

I'm not pre-diabetic or diabetic but I have insulin resistance and hypoglycemia and follow a diet similar to those with diabetes.

-No simple carbohydrates (cereal, cookies, cake, cheesecake, candy, juices, etc.)
    -Complex carbohydrates only (oatmeal, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits, brown rice, whole grain pasta/bread)
    -Never eat carbs alone- ALWAYS pair with protein and fat
    -Do not eat more than 30 grams of carbs per meal; no more than 15 grams of carbs per snack
    -Nuts/seeds and cheese sticks are great for snacks. If you want an apple for a snack, pair it with peanut butter. If you want a banana (I'm a banana addict), buy the smaller bananas (less carbs/sugar) and pair with PB.
    -Protein, protein, and more protein!!! (eggs, chicken, turkey, salmon, tilapia, tuna, red meat in moderation)
    -Legumes are a great source of protein and fiber for the days you don't want to eat meat
    -Pay close attention to your carb/sugar intake. You should aim to keep your carb intake at/less than 130-150 grams a day
    This is pretty much what a nutritionist told me. If you can do it, ask to sit down with a nutritionist to talk about your specific needs.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend that you get with a qualified dietitian who have experience working with diabetic patients as opposed to taking advice from the internet. No one on the internet knows your health history better than the people who are overseeing your health. If you don't trust or have faith in your current team of health professionals then fire them and find new ones because not all doctors and specialists are bad and they know far more about medical conditions than anyone on the internet.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    ***I strongly recommend that you get with a qualified dietitian who have experience working with diabetic patients as opposed to taking advice from the internet. No one on the internet knows your health history better than the people who are overseeing your health. If you don't trust or have faith in your current team of health professionals then fire them and find new ones because not all doctors and specialists are bad and they know far more about medical conditions than anyone on the internet.***

I second this advice!
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend that you get with a qualified dietitian who have experience working with diabetic patients as opposed to taking advice from the internet. No one on the internet knows your health history better than the people who are overseeing your health. If you don't trust or have faith in your current team of health professionals then fire them and find new ones because not all doctors and specialists are bad and they know far more about medical conditions than anyone on the internet.

I also agree!!! There are too many armchair endocrinologists on the internet who have never actually treated a diabetic patient. Unfortunately the topic of diabetes gets hits and sells books and that drives people without much (or any) expertise to write about it.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    (snipped)

Mstarr;
    (snip)
    The KEY is diet.
    (snipped)

I believe you are correct in the % thing but I disagree with the exercise issue. I'm saying just simply moving more and getting some type of cardio will help with the total health picture. Again just walking helps. After taking blood samples before cardio and 1/2 hour after cardio my (notice I say my blood sugars dropped)
    Tigg;

i absolutely agree with you re: (moderate) exercise,

which is why I said, "(although exercise is beneficial for other reasons)"

Thanks for the "catch" though, if by not repeating it in the final sentences, you mistook my intent, others might as well and it's important that the message not be misrepresented.

Indeed, moderate exercise is ALWAYS a good idea and an integral component of long term, overall "wellness" for lots of reasons.

My concerns are with those that insist on things that either aren't relevant to the discussion or are just simply incorrect ("you MUST exercise x hours a week or you can't lose weight", eg) - NOT that exercise, per se, isn't advisable in all but those cases where some physical condition prevents it.
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    (snipped)

Mstarr;
    (snip)
    The KEY is diet.
    (snipped)

Tigg;

i absolutely agree with you re: (moderate) exercise,

which is why I said, "(although exercise is beneficial for other reasons)"

Thanks for the "catch" though, if by not repeating it in the final sentences, you mistook my intent, others might as well and it's important that the message not be misrepresented.

Indeed, moderate exercise is ALWAYS a good idea and an integral component of long term, overall "wellness" for lots of reasons.

My concerns are with those that insist on things that either aren't relevant to the discussion or are just simply incorrect ("you MUST exercise x hours a week or you can't lose weight", eg) - NOT that exercise, per se, isn't advisable in all but those cases where some physical condition prevents it.

Well maybe I need to read a bit closer also, thanks :drinker:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has just been diagonsed with pre-diabetes, she went & saw a diabetic educator, not sure if you have access to that where you are. I guess the thing that will help is educating yourself and the people closest to you. Good luck.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you have to do to avoid diabetes. Do not procrastinate or fool around with impending diabetes!

Don't rely on support from ANYONE. Make a decision to do this yourself and do it.

Get a nutritionist to work with you if you can afford it.

If a nutritionist is not in your budget and/or not covered by your insurance, then make an appointment with an ENDOCRINOLOGIST. Not a PCP or general internist.

Ask the endocrinologist to give you a food plan and/or detailed nutritional advice. Ask that it be printed out for you.

Buy a scale and weigh your food.

If you don't cook, learn how. There are plenty of diabetic cook books on the market.

Make up your mind and don't drop the ball. Don't get diabetes!

Great advice, time to become accountable and responsible for your health, best of luck.