do you workout before

Options
eatting in the morning to make it easier to count calories or after?

just wondering cause im having quite a difficult time eating back my calories i have lost during exercise =(

Replies

• jlc2002
    jlc2002 Posts: 20
    Options
    I do my exercise in the evening, after I usually stop eating for the day. What I do is just go over my caloric intake by about 100. cuz on average my evening exercise burns around 200.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I eat a light snack before. I don't want my stomach to start growling in the middle of my workout.

I am a breakfast person though so I don't know if that helps. I never could understand people who say they forgot to eat breakfast. It doesn't make sense to me.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Danaaa ... if I read your ticker right, and you have more than a few pounds to lose, then you don't need to eat your calories back. For a more thorough explanation, you might want to read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012

As for me, I typically run in the morning, after a light breakfast and I always refuel within 20 minutes with something high in protein, some carbs and a touch of fat.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I usually work out first thing in the morning and then have a high protein breakfast immediately after. If I can't work out in the morning, I generally try to give myself plenty of time after a meal before I do. I tend to get nauseated and groggy if I work out with a full or full-ish stomach. Staying hydrated is key for me, when I am dehydrated I also get the same nauseated/groggy feeling.

I tend to eat back less than 1/2 of my exercise calories. Mostly because exercising makes me hungrier more frequently, so I will add an extra snack or extra calories to one meal in the day. I try to keep my net calories up between 1000-1200.
  • Cardinal
    Options
    I workout in the morning to two reasons: to get my metabolic rate up and to get it done. The demands of the day and evening can get in the way and most times I won't work out in the evening. I also eat two snacks (morning and afternoon) to ensure I am consuming enough calories in order to lose weight. Lastly, I try and eat more calories in the morning, less at lunch and fewer at dinner and that has worked for me. I would consider a "good problem" to have, in that you need to eat more versus eatting less. Maybe you should reduce the level and intensity of your workout, to burn less.

I hope this helps and I wish you continued success!
  • JeanK56
    JeanK56 Posts: 76
    Options
    When I swim, it's always in the morning (6:30 AM) and I do not eat prior to that. I have had something small, some grapes, part of a protein bar sometimes prior to swimming. If I ride the bike during the week in the morning, again very early, 6 ish, I don't eat prior. Yesterday I did 65 minutes on the bike and then immediately fixed myself what I consider a big breakfast, 2 eggs scrambled, canadian bacon (4 pieces) and Arnold sandwich roll and chocolate milk. Boy did I feel too full after that breakfast and maybe next time will make it, wrap it up and eat it on my way to work or when I get here, no as soon as I finish working out. So far I haven't had any problems when working out in the morning and not having fueled my body enough, but I do worry about that.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I get up around 6 and get the kids ready for school/pre-school. I work out after that. I like to think my body is using stored fat/energy to work than use the foods I would have had for breakfast. Then after the work out I eat (normally an egg burrito or some Special K cereal).
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Danaaa ... if I read your ticker right, and you have more than a few pounds to lose, then you don't need to eat your calories back. For a more thorough explanation, you might want to read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012

As for me, I typically run in the morning, after a light breakfast and I always refuel within 20 minutes with something high in protein, some carbs and a touch of fat.

That's my view too. I exercise in the evening though. I enjoy my sleep and with Fibromyalgia good sleep is important for me. Sometimes I'm a little hungry and sometimes I'm not. But dinner is my largest meal - I can have anywhere between 800-1000 calories left for it. I eat it not long after exercise. If I go a couple of days and end up under 1250 (my daily calorie goal) then I make sure and eat a little more on the next day. I don't know if it makes up for the previous days but I feel better doing it.