Alternative for bread ?

Options
menojy
menojy Posts: 92 Member
I need something that I can pack and take to work, eat while drinking some tea .. I thought potatoes would be healthier but I found some articles about it's little nutritional value

Is there anything I could make at home ?

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think you should check out some other potato articles. They have a ton of potassium and vitamin C, among other plentiful nutrients and antioxidants. Do you need to avoid bread due to allergies or medical conditions? If not, then just eat bread! Your body needs some carbs and bread won't make you any fatter than any other food eaten in excess. If you MUST avoid bread due to an allergy or medical condition, consider wrapping a sandwich in large leaves of lettuce. My boyfriend's mother is diabetic so she uses lettuce leaves instead of bread for burgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, fajitas, etc.

Potato Nutrition Info:

Amount Per 1 Potato medium (2-1/4" to 3-1/4" dia) (213 g)
    Calories 163
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.2 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 13 mg 0%
    Potassium 897 mg 25%
    Total Carbohydrate 37 g 12%
    Dietary fiber 4.7 g 18%
    Sugar 1.7 g
    Protein 4.3 g 8%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 70%
    Calcium 2% Iron 9%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 30%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 12%
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    ^^Yep, all of this. Potatoes are a fantastic source of nutrients. I eat them almost daily. You sound like you like them, too, and now you know the wonderful nutrients they provide. By all means, eat them if you like. Oh, and bread, too. There's really no "substitute" for bread, other than a nice bread that you like best. Just eat an amount that fits in your calorie goal.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BREAD MAY NOT BE THE BEST, HOWEVER NATURES OWN MAKES A WHEAT BREAD THAT ONLY HAS 40 CALORIES PER SLICE, I TAKE A SANDWICH TO WORK WITH ME EVERYDAY AND I DON'T SEE IT MESSING WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS.
  • dforey88
    dforey88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There's an atkins recipe for a low carb substitute if your interested. It's called cloud bread or oopsie bread. I've been looking for bread substitutes lately too bc it's one of my weeknesses. I haven't tried it yet but reviews from some ppl say it has a croissant type of airyness ans somewhat flakiness to it. All it Consists of is egg, cream of tarter, cream cheese and a sweetener. You'll be able to easily find it on youtube as well. I just need a mixer and I will definitely be handling that to see if it's worthy lol looks promising to me
  • megmarie81
    megmarie81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like the Wasa light rye crackers. They only have 30 calories each and they have 3 grams of fiber. You can top them with pretty much anything. Deli meat, laughing cow cheese, cottage cheese, tuna salads, hummus, peanut butter, chicken salads.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't know if these are better than bread (I LOVE BREAD) but crackers, pita bread, rice cakes, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, 100% whole wheat pasta just make sure you check out which ones work within your calories and you can also research ways to make some of these things on your own if you like. Everything in moderation.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    What's the reason for avoiding bread? That would affect my answer.

Bananas... don't require refrigeration, also a carb. If your goal is to eat less carbs- beef jerky, roasted almonds, roasted sunflower seeds.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    All depends on why you want to avoid bread, and what your food goals are.
    (In the sense of "I want a sandwich-type thing" or "I want different carbs".)

For a sandwich, I discovered a mini-tortilla that only has 50 calories & 10g carbs (as opposed to 90 cal per slice and 17g for my favorite Brownberry natural wheat bread, which I still eat).
    They're called La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious Soft Wraps - Mini - Multi-Bran in the food database here.
    I'd guess they're maybe 7" across?
    I've been using 1 of those with 2-3 slices of turkey lunch meat, a slice of cheese, 1/2 T of mayo, & a sprinkle of bacon pieces for a turkey club rollup that's about 240 cal & 13g carbs.
    Even having 2 of those would be better than 1 regular 2-slice sandwich in terms of carbs.

Other people have given you some good ideas for different starches.
    Consider a sweet potato? It has even better nutrition.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine for you as long as you're not lathering it in too much butter or salt. A very small amount of olive oil on a baked potato is amazing, it has more nutritional value than butter and less calories in one serving(really you dont need alot).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bread? Are you allergic?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yeah nothing wrong with Potatoes or Bread... Both have there place in any diet as long as you have no medical reason not to consume them... I actually prefer potato bread over white or wheat...... I eat baked potatoes several times a week as well.... Best of Luck
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I second the Wasa Light Rye crackers.

I don't care for bread and these work perfect for anything you would put on a sandwich.
    Added bonus, crunchy. I like crunchy things.
  • menojy
    Options
    There's an atkins recipe for a low carb substitute if your interested. It's called cloud bread or oopsie bread. I've been looking for bread substitutes lately too bc it's one of my weeknesses. I haven't tried it yet but reviews from some ppl say it has a croissant type of airyness ans somewhat flakiness to it. All it Consists of is egg, cream of tarter, cream cheese and a sweetener. You'll be able to easily find it on youtube as well. I just need a mixer and I will definitely be handling that to see if it's worthy lol looks promising to me

I just tried it !
    http://www.food.com/recipe/carb-free-cloud-bread-411501?mode=us&scaleto=10.0&st=null

so easy and delicious, it actually feels like bread only flatter
  • menojy
    Options
    I need a replacement for a sandwich yes,something healthier, no medical issues what so ever ..
    it seems that potatoes are not as bad as those articles show .. hmm
    I really appreciate all the great ideas, thanks a lot