Anyone esle like Fantasy and Sci-Fi books?

Options
2»

Replies

• LauraDerp
    LauraDerp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Some of my favourite Fantasy/Sci-Fi related books are The Hunger Games trilogy, the Uglies series by Scot Westerfield, and of course, the Harry Potter series. I'm just now reading the Divergent series (just finished the first book this morning) and have a few more series to come after, like the Legend trilogy, The Infernal Devices trilogy, and the Matched trilogy. Oh, I also have to read The Dome by Stephen King. I'd love to make some friends that are readers :)
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm a librarian and surrounded by books every day (which is fabulous!) I've read mostly children's and YA fantasy-- Harry Potter series, Hunger Games series, Divergent, Madeline L'Engle (A Wrinkle in Time series), etc., etc. As for adult lit, I went through an Anne Rice and Douglas Adams phase in college and recently finished all the Sookie Stackhouse books. I'm OBSESSED with the Game of Thrones TV series and have considered reading the books to get my fix while waiting for the next season to start. For those who have read them and watched the series, how do they compare?
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned which I also like;
    Enders Game is really good and can stand alone - the others in the series are ok, but not quite as good.
    Wheel of Time - Great! if you like epic fantasy - books 6-10 drag but the final 3 are great again.
    Sword of Truth - First is one of my all time fav but if you can't stop part way through a series not sure if I would recommend it as books 4 (and particularly 6) and on to the final are increasingly very preachy/repetitive.
    Dark Tower
    Kingkiller chronicle

Also:
    Mistborn
    Stormlight Archive
    The Deed of Paksenarrion
    Lord of the Rings - always a good classic.

New reads that were good:
    Blood Song
    Thinblade

That is just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
  • cutecattail
    cutecattail Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love reading, one of my favourites is the 'memory, sorrow and thorn' series by Tad Williams, it took a few chapters to get into but then I couldn't put it down, so much so that once I had finished the first book had to go out and by the next 3 to read! I have just finished 'The blade itself' by Joe Abercrombie and have started on the second book, very good read :)
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm not big into sci-fi, but I have been obsessed with fantasy books since I discovered Lord of the Rings at age 10. :laugh:

I've read too many to list, but my favorite authors:

J R R Tolkien (Lord of the Rings, etc)
    Raymond E Feist (any of his Midkemia based books - Riftwar Saga, etc)
    David Eddings (The Belgariad, The Malloreon, The Elenium series)
    Terry Brooks (Shannara)
    G R R Martin (A Song of Fire and Ice - aka Game of Thrones)
    Timothy Zahn (all of his Star Wars books, especially the Thrawn trilogy)
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter, of course)
    Susan Cooper (Dark is Rising Sequence)

Feel free to add! :drinker:
  • snapdragon1231
    snapdragon1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Love Sci-Fi and Fantasy. The Wheel of Time is my favorite fantasy book series, and I'm re-reading it for probably the tenth time right now. As far as Sci-Fi, my favorite is Dune, and if you haven't read it, shame on you.
    Loved The Wheel of Yime books!
  • snapdragon1231
    snapdragon1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not big into sci-fi, but I have been obsessed with fantasy books since I discovered Lord of the Rings at age 10. :laugh:

Terry Brooks (Shannara)

I could of written this post!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Terry Brooks (Shannara)

I could of written this post!

Cheers! :drinker:

I enjoyed the first six or seven in Wheel of Time, but my attention wandered after that. :laugh: (same thing happened with Goodkind's Sword of Truth unfortunately) I'm glad they have someone else continuing the series though for those that enjoy it!
  • bodytoblood
    Options
    If you like Hunger Games and GOT, then I suggest you read A Great and Terrible Beauty series, it's quite good. It would fall under the YA category but It has enough depth for adults to enjoy.
  • kris197477
    kris197477 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a librarian and surrounded by books every day (which is fabulous!) I've read mostly children's and YA fantasy-- Harry Potter series, Hunger Games series, Divergent, Madeline L'Engle (A Wrinkle in Time series), etc., etc. As for adult lit, I went through an Anne Rice and Douglas Adams phase in college and recently finished all the Sookie Stackhouse books. I'm OBSESSED with the Game of Thrones TV series and have considered reading the books to get my fix while waiting for the next season to start. For those who have read them and watched the series, how do they compare?

No comparison. The books are better. TV series can't include all the details.
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    for fantasy i've read a lot of the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Books. I'm currently reading Forge of Darkness which is pretty good. As far as sci fi i've read a lot of what my dad grew up on and enjoyed reading (douglas addams, asimov, frank herbert, orson scott card stuff like that I read doctor who books every once in a while...Shada was VERY good in my opinion but some of them are kinda iffy lol
  • kris197477
    Options

Sword of Truth - First is one of my all time fav but if you can't stop part way through a series not sure if I would recommend it as books 4 (and particularly 6) and on to the final are increasingly very preachy/repetitive.
    I like Richard and Kaklan. Zed is a great character.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I don't read much new scifi or fantasy as it just seems bland to me but i'm big on the older stuff. I learned to read as a kid thanks to dad getting a kid friendly copy of War of the Worlds from the library (I actually found a copy of it on ebay). I love the 80s cold war post apocalyptic novels, modern fantasy like some of Mercedes Lackey's stuff, Laurel K Hamilton's stuff (thought it got to be all the same after a while). I big on old pulp and early scifi like the early Asimov and such. Also big on the ignored genre of cyberpunk.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's the only genre I like.
    Currently reading Blade Itself. Supposedly the next best thing to A Song of Ice and Fire.
    Can't wait!
  • kris197477
    Options
    The Asylum Tales by Jocelyne Drake is very good. It is a twist on fantasy books. Present day with warlocks, witches, elves, and trolls.
  • kris197477
    Options
    I don't read much new scifi or fantasy as it just seems bland to me but i'm big on the older stuff. I learned to read as a kid thanks to dad getting a kid friendly copy of War of the Worlds from the library (I actually found a copy of it on ebay). I love the 80s cold war post apocalyptic novels, modern fantasy like some of Mercedes Lackey's stuff, Laurel K Hamilton's stuff (thought it got to be all the same after a while). I big on old pulp and early scifi like the early Asimov and such. Also big on the ignored genre of cyberpunk.

I loved Starship Troopers. (Nothing like the movie)
  • amirakabira
    amirakabira Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love all Heinlein, Card, and Clarke. Just read Metal World and enjoyed it. Fae Fever series was great. I am a major Dresden fan and am reading the most recent now. I enjoyed Harry Potter and Hunger Games. I was afraid to start reading GOT because I really enjoy the series and didn't want to compare, I may start reading them now and stop before the next season. I tend to "discover" different authors by walking through the aisles in the library and picking up books with the sci-fi sticker on the spine. I do this with fantasy and mystery as well. works for me.
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    never actually read any cyberpunk but my dad always had William Gibson books lying around at home
  • lordvaderofcheam
    Options
    Am a great fan of Zelazny, PKD, Gibson, Clarke and Asimov. My first SFF books were the Foundation series and 2001. Of the more recent authors, huge fan of Gaiman, Neal Stephenson and Stross. Love reading up on anthologies from time to time(rewired, the slipstream anthology, wastelands, the infinity trilogy among others)

Hit me up on mail and we can connect more.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The last two scifi books I read where:
    The Forever War
    The Postman

Both really good. Read the Lord of the Rings a bunch of times.