pregnancy logging?? tips, tricks and no-nos.

Options
I found out yesterday im pregnant. I plan on calling my dr first thing Monday morning. I wanna speak with him about logging, rather I continue or not since he sent me on this path anyways. But I want to hear from those who have done it. What do you suggest? Any tips, tricks or no-nos I should know about going into this. I would like to continue simply so I make sure baby gets what it needs and also so I don't ballon like I did last pregnancy.

Replies

• salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not sure what logging means-but wanted to respond. I am pregnant as well and at first I was gaining weight. After going out of state to visit family and gaining 20 pounds I decided to actively try to lose especially as I hadn't lose weight from my 9 month old when I got pregnant as was still nursing and figured I would just try when I 'had my body to myself again'. This past Tuesday I had lost 10 pounds in the 4 weeks since my last appointment and my doctor said it is not only fine but as long as I am eating meals and drinking plenty of water that it's safe for me to continue. I am sure this has a lot to do with my size and being morbidly obese @ 5'8" and 335 lbs. I do make sure to eat healthy meals and I write out my menu ahead of time so I can see I am eating enough protein and veggies. And baby seems to be growing just fine :)
  • salvationsdying
    Options
    I meant like calorie counting. Also to make sure I'm getting enough vitamins and such. My over all goal isn't ro keep losing really, I'm currently 223 so I've got some that can go. But I mostly want to make sure my pregnancy is healthy this time. I had a horrible one with my 2 1/2 year old and I don't want that again.
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I take prenatal (gummy) vitamins while pregnant and until done nursing. Doctor tried give me rx for prenatal pills but took regular pills for first pregnancy and they are terrible. Congrats on your pregnancy btw :)
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy!!!!! I am currently 8 months pregnant and have been logging my calorie intake for 1.5 yrs now, first to loose all the baby weight from my past 4 pregnancies and this time to make sure I didn't gain the 50+ pounds I did for the previous 4.

I have been keeping myself at 1500 calories a day. I make sure I log my 3 meals + healthy snacks and stay within my calorie allotment. BUT, due to being in the 3rd trimester and knowing I need to consume an additional 300 calories on top of my maintenance calories, I do tend to snack at night, trying my best to stay at 300. Some days I am under the additional 300, some days I am over 300. I fluctuate by 2 pounds, but have gained 24lbs so far.
    From my own research online, I am able to determine that all we need is an additional 300 calories OVER our maintenance calories, that's it. And that's more in the third trimester. When I originally spoke to my OB, she was next to useless when it came to knowing the amount of calories I should be consuming, and simply told me to eat the way I normally am. Like I said, next to useless. I would suggest doing all of your own research first before your doctors appointment, so that you can compare your own research with what your doctor tells you, then make your own informed decision.
  • salvationsdying
    Options
    I've seen as much as a additional 500 is needed the last trimester. but I am going to keep searching. I've had this dr since the day I delivered my toddler. He stood in for my dr. While my dr was nice and all this dr made me feel instantly better. And since then he's never let me down. So I switched soon after her birth. Even before I was technically his he came to check on me and my daughter between my regular drs visits. He's always had answers for me. So I'm really hoping this won't be the let down. Thanks ladies for your advice! And thanks for the congrats!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

I was overweight when I got pregnant, so my OB was very strict about me not gaining more than 25 lbs. I ate at maintenance the first two semesters, and ate a little bit more during the third when she started putting on the real weight and my appetite increased. I ended the pregnancy with only a 14 lb gain, which was gone within a week post-birth. OB was happy, I was ecstatic, and baby was happy+healthy. I would just listen to your body for now until your doctor can give you a more definite answer for you. Good luck with your pregnancy!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    First-congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am not now pregnant, but there will be SOME weight-gain. Not from eating--from the baby as he grows.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    First trimester you can continue to lose and a normal rate. 2nd is maintenance. 3rd increase by 250 and 4th by 500.

Find healthy alternatives to your cravings. It's not the baby craving it.. it's your excuse to eat.

After baby I had 10 lbs extra weight to lose.
  • salvationsdying
    Options
    First-congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am not now pregnant, but there will be SOME weight-gain. Not from eating--from the baby as he grows.

I fully expect some, but not the 50+ like last time.

For now I haven't went over my calorie goal yet. I'm still eating much the same. But if I'm still starving I'm going to eat rather over or not. But I'm going to try to get a healthy snack/meal instead of junk. I been craving things like pickles "0" calories. Just a lot of sodium. So ill have to watch that.
  • kbh1218
    kbh1218 Posts: 7
    Options
    I did not track during my pregnancy, but I did continue to watch what I ate and made sure to eat whenever I was hungry despite what I may have already eaten that day. I basically did exactly as my doc told me. Even though I was obese during my pregnancy she said she wanted to see me gain about 20 lbs. I gained 25. I actually lost all 25 lbs in the first few weeks when I was nursing but gained it all back when I stopped.

Congrats on the pregnancy btw! I guess in a nutshell I would say I tried not to focus too much on calories and just worried about the actual food choices. I let my weigh ins at the doc's office each month/week tell me how I was doing :) but of course how you do it is completely up to you! Good luck!