WOMEN ONLY PLEASE! Metformin question

Options
I'm not sure who else to ask so hopefully some of the women on here taking metformin might be able to help. I started metformin on thursday, after being sick with the flu the day before. This morning I started spotting. I'm not due to start until next saturday. Well actually, anytime between thurday the 14th and Sunday the 17th since my cycle always varies between 25 and 28 days. I'm not a spotter. It just doesn't happen. I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Could this be a result of the new med? That quick?? I don't ovulate. Haven't since early 2006 and that was with a LOT of fertility drugs. My GP and my midwife argue over whether I'm in Menopause (my male GP) or have PCOS (my female midwife who has seen my ultrasounds). I believe the midwife though since I know I've had cysts on my ovaries since I was at least 18.

Other things that might help. I'm 36. 5'10 259 pounds. I've lost 13 pounds since 6/28. Not on any form of birth control. It cost us 36 grand to have our youngest so I despise the idea of paying anything for birth control.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have taken Metformin before and it never seemed to affect my TOM, but it could be that being sick might have thrown your body off. I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you are overly worried, consult your doctor. They'd be able to help you, I'm sure.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to take metformin and it definitely did things to my cycle.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Edited: Didn't see your portion of the post above about not being on birthcontrol. My mistake. Sorry....

If you vomited up your birth control meds, or haven't taken it on schedule from being sick, that could certainly lead to some spotting. Same thing happened to me this month. Missed a day, started spotting.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    PCOS seems to be very under diagnosed the past few years and I honestly thing that medical staffs are just starting to understand and diagnose it based on how many people coming through our healthy pregnancy and diabetes classes have asked about it the past few months.
  • epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been on Metformin for 4 years (since 19 years old) and it's never affected my time of the month. I'd say it has more to do with your birth control and vomiting... hope you get it sorted soon! Stay well :) x
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. Luckily it stopped and didn't go full blown. I'm going to hold off calling my midwife for now but if my TOM shows early, I'll probably call to get her opinion.

Stuart, I'd have to agree. The gynecologist (incidentally, the same Dr. that was scheduled to deliver me when I was born) that originally discovered the cyst when I was 18 just blew it off as monthly hormonal changes despite the fact that I had other symptoms I now know where signs of PCOS.
  • arrey24
    arrey24 Posts: 7
    Options
    Edited: I have now seen your reply that I "think" is you stating that you do have PCOS. I also had a cyst when I was in my teens (31 now) and dr's did not diagnose it as PCOS until 28 years old. Also when I was in my early twenties I would sometimes just not have periods. I thought I was pregnant, but my dr at the time just told me it was because I was fat.

I think it would be helpful to know the reason your DR put you on the metformin. This is a diabetes drug, or also used for treatment of PCOS (the reason I use it.) PCOS causes spotting, irregular periods, and difficulty getting pregnant, among many other symptoms. Maybe your DR suspects PCOS and that is the reason for putting you on it? That might also be your reason for having difficulty getting pregnant. PCOS is 100% reversible with weight-loss. That's why I am working hard to lose weight, so I won't have difficulty having children in the future. Also, as much as you don't like the idea of birth control, and for a good reason, it goes along way towards keeping your hormones and periods balanced. If you aren't planning on having children in the near future (less than a year) there is no reason to be off it. As long as you go off the meds long enough before you want to conceive, that shouldn't add difficulty. Birth control doesn't stay in your system longer just because you have issues getting pregnant, does that make sense? Anyway, give us more information and maybe we can be of more assistance.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm on Metformin but for diabetes reasons. Never had any issues with the TOM but have struggled with the GI side effects - Immodium AD has been a lifesaver. Have been told my the ob/gyn that I have large cysts but didn't have issues with crazy periods, only hair on the chin and struggles to lose weight.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Edited: I have now seen your reply that I "think" is you stating that you do have PCOS. I also had a cyst when I was in my teens (31 now) and dr's did not diagnose it as PCOS until 28 years old. Also when I was in my early twenties I would sometimes just not have periods. I thought I was pregnant, but my dr at the time just told me it was because I was fat.

I think it would be helpful to know the reason your DR put you on the metformin. This is a diabetes drug, or also used for treatment of PCOS (the reason I use it.) PCOS causes spotting, irregular periods, and difficulty getting pregnant, among many other symptoms. Maybe your DR suspects PCOS and that is the reason for putting you on it? That might also be your reason for having difficulty getting pregnant. PCOS is 100% reversible with weight-loss. That's why I am working hard to lose weight, so I won't have difficulty having children in the future. Also, as much as you don't like the idea of birth control, and for a good reason, it goes along way towards keeping your hormones and periods balanced. If you aren't planning on having children in the near future (less than a year) there is no reason to be off it. As long as you go off the meds long enough before you want to conceive, that shouldn't add difficulty. Birth control doesn't stay in your system longer just because you have issues getting pregnant, does that make sense? Anyway, give us more information and maybe we can be of more assistance.

My midwife originally prescribed it for the PCOS and because of my fasting blood work. I stupidly let my GP talk me out of taking it for a few months, he didn't think my insulin and blood sugar levels were far enough out of the normal range to take it. He finally agreed this past week that I needed to take it since despite dieting, my blood sugar is still elevated. He's still ignoring the midwife saying I have PCOS. Other than this argument, I really like my doctor. I'm starting to think he doesn't want to accept the diagnosis because he's a "real licensed doctor" and she's "just a midwife." He was cc'd on the bloodwork but not on the ultrasound.

It's not so much that we're trying to get pregnant, or even planning to, it's the fact that we shelled out so much money in order to get pregnant that we don't want to to pay for something that is going to intentionally prevent the chance that something could happen. Yeah, I know I don't ovulate but that little niggle of hope still hasn't gone away.

It looks like I'm going to have to call my midwife on monday and break my birth control ban. The spotting quit for a few hours and then I had an hour or so where I thought TOM had shown up full blown but then nothing. I have no clue what's going on but this is SO not like me. I have a few cycles a year where I'm a couple of weeks late but nothing where I've had spotting or had it show up early.
  • nataliestone
    nataliestone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would say you had a cyst burst, that can cause spotting or even ovulating can cause it. Yes, MET can affect your cycle but not that fast. For me it helped regulate my cycle. Went from 35 days to a perfect 28 day.