What is your hidden netflix "gem"?

WombatHat42
WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
Everyone I know that has netflix has found one or two movies that they had never heard of(not many others had heard of) and it was one of those they didnt think they would like until they watched it. Usually they are an independent or foreign film, I have found a lot from Australia and New Zealand I have liked. Curious as to what is other people's gems?

I was going to say mine would have to be Monsters, Beneath Hill 60 or Bunkaru but then I recalled Black Sheep (not the Chris Farley one)

Replies

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    A French film called Mutants. Subtitles but you forget after awhile, also, Wrecked with Adrian Brody is Very good!!! :)
  • abcgfed
    abcgfed Posts: 26
    It's a tv show not a movie but "Bomb Girls." It was a CBC show that, unfortunately, was canceled after two seasons. A real shame - it was a really good show.
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    I actually like the documentary "Craigslist Joe". It's quite awesome :)
  • Tonakiga
    Tonakiga Posts: 10
    Anything by Joss Whedon! Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse.....
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Survivors - BBC The only negative is that the show was canceled so has no satisfying ending. Boo! :huh:
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    BBC - 'Luther' series...slurrrpppp
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I like anime, so two anime series, "Black Butler" (which is vaguely like Addams Family) and "Darker than Black" (spy thriller featuring sociopaths with superpowers). But Netflix rotates their anime stock frequently so I'm not sure they will still have these--I let my membership lapse a few months ago.
  • DWhy5
    DWhy5 Posts: 541 Member
    The Experiment... not sure it's still on there, but its crazy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I mostly watch horror and it takes a pretty bad movie for me to not watch it.

Let Me In - vampire girl (9-10 y/o) makes friends with a young boy
    Stake Land - zombie survival with vampires instead of zombies
    Night Watch (Russian with English subtitles) - loosely based on a book of the same name
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    BBC - 'Luther' series...slurrrpppp

Luther is my absolute favorite!! Season 3 is amazing!!! And Idris Elba is not too hard on the eyes. lol

I also love a French movie called Intouchables, its so good I didn't even notice the subtitles.

Big fan of UK series, Misfits, Being Human (UK not US) and The Wall.
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Sometimes I look at the "suggested" section, my 15 & 9 year old watch it so I get a wide range. Four I found I had never heard of:

Arranged - a Muslim and Jewish woman become friends through teaching at the same school
    Homeless - old one from 1989 - family becomes homeless from a fire and *kitten* family
    The Magic of Belle Island - Morgan Freeman & Virginia Madson - grumpy old drunk man learns to live and love again
    The Long Walk Home - Whoopi Goldberg & Sissy Spasek - takes places just after Rosa Parks and it's amazing!!
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Short Term 12. I saw it in theaters, but now that it's streaming on Netflix I recommend it to everybody. Best movie of 2013.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member

Night Watch (Russian with English subtitles) - loosely based on a book of the same name

There's actually a Night Watch sequel called Day Watch. They actually got a budget for it! The books were a series (I think 5?), but they've been talking about the third movie for years- I doubt it'll ever get made :(

Alphas, Persons Unknown and The Colony were all amazing shows I found on Netflix. Sadly, they were all less than two seasons. I also really enjoy bad disaster movies and dinosaur "documentaries", and there are TONS of those available :)
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Sympathy For Delicious
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    has to be orange is the new black on netflix .. and some of the box sets.. the good wife … charmed … supernatural etc etc
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Life is Beautiful ~ I rented the DVD from Netflix about 10 years ago and I've seen it many times since.... still cry every time
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Don Jon, Mud, Frozen Ground and Drinking Buddies are a few good ones that surprised me recently.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member

I tried so hard to find night watch when I was studying russian(and day watch) but could never now I find it everywhere but havent used russian in a year :D

Have they put up the last season of Luther? I wanna finish it :D

A couple of other french ones(since so many mentioned french) Vidocq(dark portals)- like sherlock, and eden log - creepy as hell but good.

So far the best Ive found come from France or Australia lol
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Salvage another good Horror film! British
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    God Is Not Dead

About a college student in a philosophy class and a bunch of people who are dealing with different issues whose lives intersect. It's based on the numerous legal cases won by Christians who were being discriminated against by universities for their faith. In the movie the college student takes up a challenge by his atheist professor to prove God exists.