need some input on my diet please

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is a good description of what is happening to me. My body refuses to burn fat...wants to eat muscle first..
    If our bodies wanted to eat muscle first, why don't we store excess calories as muscle instead of fat? Why don't we see people who've lost a lot of weight that are jiggly piles of fat and bone in a heap on the floor? What competitive advantage would a species that burned up its muscle before its fat stores have in the evolutionary jungle?
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Im 44, yo , 5' 8", 160 lbs, from 190 a year ago. Yes I have lost weight but I still have a lot of belly fat, and lost about half of my muscle. Lean everywhere but my belly. 20% bodyfat is my guess. Here is what I have been doing:

1500 calories a day, 75 grams of carbs, 140 grams protein and 60 grams fat. Eggs/oatmeal breakfast, salad/protein lunch, protein/more veges dinner. Protein bars, cheese, and nuts in between. No sugar, no fruit, or refined starches. 10 glasses water/day.

30 minutes jog-on the slowish side- 6/days week, 9 sets of weights different body part 4 times/week. Weights have been a struggle; often feel winded/light-headed quickly. Slow recovery the next day too.

I do eat back about half my exercise cals. Myfitnesspal is advising me 1230 net calories now, which seem too low.

Am I just getting old? Any insights would be appreciate it.

Any reason why your carbs are so low? Especially when you are doing weights and jogging. At your activity level I would reccomend atleast 100 carbs a day. You need the energy! It would be different if you were sedentary, or had an allergy/intolerance/disease, but as far as I can tell, your body is craving the immediate energy (hence the winded/lightheaded feelings). Don't be afraid of the healthy carbs! Fruits, veggies, whole wheat/grains, and sprouted breads etc!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I may get some static, but reassess your workout routine. Also look at the role of cortisol in weight loss. You are trying to do much with too little intake. Running six days per week and working out four? Your body will make decisions based on your activities. One of the decisions it makes is "how do I fuel the energy needs of this activity" and " what tissue can I get rid of to make running easier." Both can lead the body to increase the loss of lean mass. Sometimes "less is more".
  • yanick356
    yanick356 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great point/advice people. I am going to increase calories and carbs too.
    Cortisol? I wonder if my diet has something to do with the stress/anxiety I have been feeling too?