disabled 2 iraqi campaign combat vet...fat and need help.

Options
2»

Replies

• alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think you have been offered some wonderful advice here already, and I also empathize with the time it's taken to find your way to this point of change. I haven't been through what you've experienced, and can't even begin to imagine how difficult it has been. For that, you have my complete respect. Feel free to add me, I love to cheer on every step you take toward a more healthier life.

PS. I'm not even American, but I also want to thank you for your service to your country!
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :) It's okay to be a big baby *****, I'm pretty sure we all start there, at least I did. I was absolutely not a self starter at the fitness stuff but figured out how to really like working out. I think you do need a mental shift and even though diet is a huge chunk of it, exercise is like a huge natural anti-depressant, anti-anxiety… especially good for those of us that cope with food. If you have the cash, I'd say do a few joint sessions with a trainer with you and the wife. I think it's good for both the knowledge and the accountability at the beginning while you cement new habits. Also maybe not up your alley but I use Pinterest to collect a bunch of motivational sayings to look through when I slip back into mopey ***** mode;) I love the one about you can feel like **** b/c your fat or feel sore b/c you worked out, which one feels better?? My husband and I also downloaded Nike +run app(free if you have smartphone) and we compete in a fun way with each other for miles run/walked, like if I win, I get a foot rub, if he wins the week total, he wins……(not a foot rub). It makes it fun and we keep each other on track in a supportive way. Add fun things that you actually like to do…scenic hike, roller-skating, yard work, whatever it is that might keep you motivated. And remember, it takes a few weeks to start to feel and see the positive effects of working out and eating well so keep at it. I overate a few days ago and it was a good reminder of how much better my body feels and I digest when I don't overdo it.

And what matters s little things you do consistently so if you have a bad day, shake it off and start again, that is what seems to separate the success stories. Just keep going. No one who has lost weight and maintained it is any smarter or better than you. If they figured it out, so can you. Good luck!!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Wow. These last five posts look golden to me. Hope they help you.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I salute your service. Check out this guy - Ed - he is on MFP and also has a blog. He is an ex-vet. Inspiration++

Accepting you need to do something is the first step. Just take it a day at a time - this is for life

http://www.gettingfit4life.com/

:flowerforyou:
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You are a work in progress as we all are and have been given some awesome sauce advice here. I just want to say thank you for your service:smile:
  • pelaccioiniraq
    Options
    sweet jesus. i went out to the store for a few hours and came back to a bunch of stuff!. first off thank you for all of the good, and bad things said. i kinda agree with like 90% of it.

1. pity party. YES. i feel sorry for myself and for my wife for having to deal with my mopey ****.
    2. YES had drinking problem ad maybe didnt read the label right on all the bottles, but thats all in check now
    3. FOOD is so yummy. portions are gay, weighing out produce and meats and blah is gay, but thats the level i have to use to start. i cant eyeball **** because i am a pretty literal person by nature and have no ****ing clue how much 12oz watermelon is unless i bust out the thrift store analog food scale. yes it is on point, i tested it lol.
    4. i am still technically active duty in the army until my medical discharge goes through, so im at home with no resources or money. i work a REAL job like the rest of America. i have to drive like 150 miles round trip to go to the dr and cant afford to take the time to get off work and go. and its near san francisco, every movie you have ever seen about traffic...is real. **** that . ill be a pity party over it
    5. MY PROFILE check it out. im sorry if i offend you with it, but it is what it is. i keep it real. the negativity motivates me. just what it is. im wearing a t shirt right now that says "PARTY WITH VEGAS SLUTS" drenched in fake blood from Evil Dead the musical i saw in vegas for my birthday. i wore it with my wife with me the whole time lol. we have been together a long time. my first kiss. for our ten years i got a caricature TATTOOED on my thigh of our faces. thats how i ****ing roll *****es.
    6. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND UNDERSTANDING. and its always been weird when people thank me for my service. i dont mean that rudely, i greatly appreciate it, but i dont feel like i did anything special. i signed up for that job knowing what comes with it. too bad the civilian world doesnt need a tank mechanic huh? lol boo!
    7. my wife isnt really in it as much as i am. i would love for us to do things together on this, but we dont really work well together. always turns out ****ty. but i hope that can change and we can lose weight together. i gained a ton and she gained less than 20. kind of feel like she has the advantage hehe.
    8. FOLLOW MY BLOG...prob to no ones liking because i talk about my junk, and sex life and my job...but maybe you will get a good laugh out of it! and it would make me feel good knowing i have followers.
    9. I CANT BELIEVE JOE MACHI (spelling?) GOT BOOTED FROM LAST COMIC STANDING!!! GRR.
    10. i have a full house. 5 adults and 5 dogs and 2 cats. its hard to have dedication and independence in this environment. doing the best i can.
    11. sorry in advance for my poor worded, offensive posts to come on everyone's stuff... i like the bare truth lined with inspiration and hope...not just doing it to be a **** lol.
    12. im out *****es. thank you again for everything and all of the supportive people that befriended me. i will be posting hopefully daily, even if no one reads my ****. it will be there.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Your service is appreciated,
    I have 4 herniated discs at 38 and have been told it's very important to get the weight off. So in addition to all of the other reasons, not wanting my spine and body to be in further pain has been a big motivator to get to a healthy weight. The community here is wonderful. Join a mfp challenge, maybe with your wife too. Together you can change your life in a matter of months just by eating within your calories.
    Friend me if you'd like. I'm on every day and am here till I've made goal (and beyond) ????
    Welcome!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    honestly i am not a self starter in this area.

Well, that is a major issue. If you lack the initiative then there isn't much that a group of random posters on the internet can do.
    4. i am still technically active duty in the army until my medical discharge goes through, so im at home with no resources or money. i work a REAL job like the rest of America. i have to drive like 150 miles round trip to go to the dr and cant afford to take the time to get off work and go. and its near san francisco, every movie you have ever seen about traffic...is real. **** that . ill be a pity party over it

If you're still technically on active duty, why aren't you in a WTU?
  • pelaccioiniraq
    Options
    lol. where to begin. basically, i MEB and came back with a BS rating so i appealed. and then i got my VA up and not my service connected up. so i appealed. 2.5 years later, they send me home to wait because they are tired of paying me. WTU at ft Bliss was small, they only offered up to soldiers that were going to be healed and put back in the game. my original ETS was after 4 years, plus 6 months or whatever for training including AIT. long story short, next month on the 3rd is my 7 year mark on my original 4 year enlistment. woot.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    lol. where to begin. basically, i MEB and came back with a BS rating so i appealed. and then i got my VA up and not my service connected up. so i appealed. 2.5 years later, they send me home to wait because they are tired of paying me. WTU at ft Bliss was small, they only offered up to soldiers that were going to be healed and put back in the game. my original ETS was after 4 years, plus 6 months or whatever for training including AIT. long story short, next month on the 3rd is my 7 year mark on my original 4 year enlistment. woot.

If you're "technically on active duty" you are still technically receiving a check, assigned to a unit, and authorized full active duty benefits.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions or advice to offer you that hasn't already been said... but I just want to say THANK YOU for your services and for my freedom, and I wish you the best of luck. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

If you're "technically on active duty" you are still technically receiving a check, assigned to a unit, and authorized full active duty benefits.

This is what puzzled me too.
  • BuildaBetterBody4
    Options
    22 year retired Army Vet here also 100% disabled. I'm here to support a fellow comrade in arms. Sending a friend request.
  • pelaccioiniraq
    Options
    Yea...no

I don't get a check. 0.00 LES every month. Too much to explain and don't mean offense but everyone seems to think they understand and make assumptions that are not the facts. I'm active duty on permanent leave without pay until my appeal is over. On paper station is ft sill OK and I have never been there. Never seen it. I live in sacramento ca lol