Shirataki Noodles questions!? Ahh Help!

Options
Hi there so I've recently discovered shirataki noodles in the grocery store and decided to give them a try. I really REALLY liked them (angle hair kind) now i've done a little reading on them and it seams that people love them or HATE them. Not because of the taste as much as the unhealthiness (sp?) of them. I am just very confused because of such a short ingredient list they have and obviously because they are extremely low in calorie and other nutrients I don't use them as my "main" dish rather than a side....Is it really that bad? I am looking for people with stone cold facts to answer because I am tending to see a lot of opinions about the topic and would love to get a straight forward answer! also feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I believe shirataki noodles are made from a type of yam, so I'm not sure what would be "unhealthy" about them.
    The only real negative I could see is that if you're using them to make up a large part of your normal diet, you'd end up lacking in fuel and nutrients. If you like them and want to use them as an occasional meal, I don't see a problem. Just make sure you're meeting your body's caloric and nutritional requirements overall.
  • Shanshoo
    Shanshoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've never read anything about them being unhealthy. I mean, if you only eat that all day, clearly this is going to be an unhealthy diet, but combined with other nutrients with correct macros, I don't see anything bad about them. Unless you have intestinal issues, as they are made of a soluble fiber. The only complains I ever read about them was that a lot of people can't go past their texture, or they can get pretty expensive depending where you buy them.

They're really filling, I use them a lot in my stir fry, use them instead of pastas most of the time, in my soups, etc. And I've been eating them for a while now, both the tofu kind or the true konjac ones (plain or those with seawood powder for added iron and calcium).

There is a lengthy post here about them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles
  • perrymick
    perrymick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Shirataki is made from a flower of a mountain yam. I've never heard of it being unhealthy. It has negligible calories and a small amount of fiber.

When cooking it, parboil or microwave and then drain it. That helps it absorb the flavor of whatever sauce or broth you put it in.

And to noriny, I've used that brand before and it's good. You can also use black shirataki which taste 100% the same.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have some in the fridge and just went to look at the ingredient list. They have water, yam flour and calcium hydroxide. I just googled the last ingredient and found a bunch of articles. They are not sounding so appetizing now....I have also been known to indulge in oreos and their ingredient list is much longer and scarier.

Choose your battles.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I eat shirataki noodles regularly for lunch. I havent read anything negative about them apart from the smell they have before you dry fry them. I started eating them when i was losing weight, i still eat them even though im trying to gain.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Once you rinse them out to get rid of the smell, there is nothing wrong with them.