OK, Do we or don't we eat back the calories we worked off?

The first three weeks I was losing weight before I started exercising. Then, I started working out and would eat the deficit that I exercised. Now I seem to be gaining weight instead of losing. I'm only trying for one pound a week. What's going on?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Everyone does it differently. You have to do what works for you.

I think MFP way overestimate the calories burned doing this or that.

If you feel hungry, eat a little extra. That's MHO. :)
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    I eat back my calories and lose weight.

It's likely that you are inaccurate in either the amount of calories you are consuming (underestimating), or they amount you are burning (overestimating).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Aside from including an explanation about exercise calories, the above link is going to be a great source of info for you overall.

MFP is designed for its users to eat their calories back, but if you aren't weighing out your food and logging consistently, then you could easily be eating more than you think.

Also, it's important to remember weight loss isn't linear and you'll have days where you'll stall or even gain a little. And any change to your intake or exercise routine can cause additional fluctuations and it's best to give your body 3-4 weeks to adjust before making any other changes (if needed).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Aside from including info about exercise calories, the above link is going to be a great source of info for you overall.

MFP is designed for its users to eat their calories back, but if you aren't weighing out your food and logging consistently, then you could easily be eating more than you think.

Also, it's important to remember weight loss isn't linear and you'll have days where you'll stall or even gain a little. And any change to your intake or exercise routine can cause additional fluctuations and it's best to give your body 3-4 weeks to adjust before making any other changes (if needed).
    This.

I suggest eating back only a portion of your exercise calories if you use MFP, gym machine, or internet resources to obtain calorie burns, as they can be overestimated.
  • SLLRunner
    I eat back my calories and lose weight.

It's likely that you are inaccurate in either the amount of calories you are consuming (underestimating), or they amount you are burning (overestimating).
    And this.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Simple terms "you eat to have a deficit" how big that deficit is and how you come about getting to that each week is upto you. 7000 calories = roughly 1kg of weight. Given calories burned and eaten are not an exact science you want to leave some room for margin of error. Pika also said it's not linear too so just cause you ate and exercised to a 1000 calorie deficit on a given day doesn't mean you've lost 1000 calories worth of weight it could take days to see the benefits of that day and what you are burning at the gym is what you've just eaten it works backward the last thing in is gonna be the first thing out.

Then you have fluids, muscle repair and mood added ontop that will affect weight whether you eat those calories or not
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/eating-back-calories-burned/

See above. I eat at least half of them back, if not more. I have reached goal weight by doing this. I measure my calorie expenditure with a heart rate monitor.
    Works for me.
    Stef.
  • Thanks you guys. I was starting to get discouraged
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I eat back about 1/2 of mine unless I am really hungry, then I eat back most.
  • Its pry both lol. Im gonna stick to staying under my deficit n see how that works
  • SLLRunner
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/eating-back-calories-burned/

See above. I eat at least half of them back, if not more. I have reached goal weight by doing this. I measure my calorie expenditure with a heart rate monitor.
    Works for me.
    Stef.
    Excellent read, thank you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    The first three weeks I was losing weight before I started exercising. Then, I started working out and would eat the deficit that I exercised. Now I seem to be gaining weight instead of losing. I'm only trying for one pound a week. What's going on?

Your muscles could also be retaining water due to the exercise. This will eventually even out (takes 1-3 weeks, depending on the person). Start by eating back 1/2 of the exercise calories for a couple of weeks and see where you are, then adjust if needed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    If you weigh your food, eat them back (although maybe just 3/4 of them if you use MFP estimates).
    If you estimate your food, don't. It will make up for the estimation errors.
  • Bogditzy
    Bogditzy Posts: 110 Member
    If it's cardio/HIIT - I eat back around 80%-90% - I use a HRM to track calories burned.
    If it's Weightlifting - I don't eat back the calories.