I think I killed my metabolism somehow

Options
13»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your inputs. I'm going to see my doctor this week to get my blood drawn so hopefully I can get some more concrete answers regarding my metabolism. And btw, an hour of hot yoga burns WAY more calories than a 2 mile jog or even an intense weight lifting session at the gym. When I started doing it last summer, I dropped about 15 pounds in less than 2 months, going from 197 to 182. The only thing that was different was that I was pretty much starving myself and eating nothing but those lean cuisine frozen meals (about 2 per day) and drinking slim fast milkshakes. I felt like sh** all the time and couldn't sustain myself on that kind of diet, so hopefully I can find some kind of happy medium between my current sumo wrestler diet and last summer's Olson Twins' anorexic diet.

I nominate this member to rename ALL THE DIETS I've ever heard of on MFP.

Also I think the "happy medium" diet you are looking for is currently called "IIFYM" using scooby or fitnessfrog or any other TDEE calculator. But I'd LOVE TO hear what name YOU GIVE IT! :flowerforyou: :laugh: :smooched:
  • _IronDan_
    _IronDan_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Read this, it might have the answer to your problem

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When I started doing it last summer, I dropped about 15 pounds in less than 2 months, going from 197 to 182.

Wow.. hang on have you recalculated your stats based upon your lower weight? .. You've lost a Stone so your energy requirements are different now.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your inputs. I'm going to see my doctor this week to get my blood drawn so hopefully I can get some more concrete answers regarding my metabolism. And btw, an hour of hot yoga burns WAY more calories than a 2 mile jog or even an intense weight lifting session at the gym. When I started doing it last summer, I dropped about 15 pounds in less than 2 months, going from 197 to 182. The only thing that was different was that I was pretty much starving myself and eating nothing but those lean cuisine frozen meals (about 2 per day) and drinking slim fast milkshakes. I felt like sh** all the time and couldn't sustain myself on that kind of diet, so hopefully I can find some kind of happy medium between my current sumo wrestler diet and last summer's Olson Twins' anorexic diet.

I am a little confused by this post. So last year, you were eating very little and doing hot yoga and losing a pile of weight. This year you are eating way more food, and doing hot yoga, and not losing weight. This proves that the yoga is effective at burning a lot of calories.

Honestly OP, you have gotten a lot of great advice. From what I am reading of your posts, I would guess that you are over eating and overestimating your calorie burn by quite a bit. Perhaps come back and reread the advice given here after a day or two to think on it. At the end of the day, what you are doing is not working, so perhaps try something different.
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Read this, it might have the answer to your problem

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

*two thumbs up*
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Do you even log?

Once you take out the heat factor, what's really the difference between hot and regular yoga? If not a whole lot, maybe you should use your HRM during regular yoga and see what those numbers are for comparison purposes

Calories IN calories out. You lost weight like crazy because you weren't eating. Now you are, and your rate of loss is a bit more sensible. Honestly, you're being a bit dense here, buddy
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call 15lbs. in a little less than 2 months an anorexic diet. That's a healthy 2 lbs/week loss.