How to buy clothes for my new body!

Options
Hey everyone! Right now my clothes are falling off my body & Im in desperate need of some new ones. The problem is I have about 35 more lbs to go before I reach my goal, so I don't want to spend a bunch on clothes that I will (hopefully!) be to small for in a couple months. Any tips?

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Buy a few basic pieces that can go with anything. Like a pair of jeans, pair of black pants. Tops are often more forgiving. You could hide the fact that they are big by adding a scarf or belt. Also, look at Goodwill for a few pieces to see you through.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm all about second hand shopping!!!
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I second the Goodwill shopping. Often times you can find really great stuff there. I plan on doing most of my transitional shopping at Goodwill.
  • june_warner
    june_warner Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight I went to Good Will and bought jeans there. I didn't have a ton of money to waste of jeans that I knew I was only gonna wear for a month or two. I bought name brand (Express) for $4 each and they were brand new (tags still on them)
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Same thing here! Congrats!
    I've been shopping at 2nd hand shops or Goodwill....get some thing that make you feel good, but they're cheap so when you get rid of them later you don't feel bad for buy all of it! Plus, you don't want to get to comfortable in them cause they'll be gone soon! Keep up the good work!
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I first went and bought clothes after I lost a bunch of weight I bought them a hair too tight so it would motivate me to lose more weight and would last that hair longer. Also belt the pants that are too big, i keep threatening to buy suspenders. I have lost 72 lbs and just got rid of my jeans that I was wearing when I was at my heaviest. So I know the feeling of them falling off. Or like the other ladies said his Goodwill, or catch online sales a Walmart if you know what size you are going to be.

Congrats and keep loosing :)
  • krd82
    krd82 Posts: 53
    Options
    I buy my temp clothes at a resale shop and when they don't fit anymore I take them back to a resale shop that buys clothes and get some money for them and buy more!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We have a store here called Burkes Outlet (also Bealls Outlet) and they have sales on pants a LOT of the time.. They have a "dot" system and the certain dots on the tags are a certain percent off. they are all new clothes. Anyhow, a few weeks ago, they had a special that ALL clearance was 70% off so I got 3 new with tag pairs of jeans for $3 each!!
  • soyjoy
    soyjoy Posts: 12
    Options
    I am at that point as well...I am going second hand :)
  • JenniferO1982
    JenniferO1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought clothes as cheap as possible, and then as I shrank, and as they got too big, I sold them either on Kijiji or in a consignment shop. It was easy, because I was able to advertise everything as barely worn. It doesn't certainly make you back every dollar you spend, or make you break-even, but it is better than nothing:) I also had fun buying clothes as my body changed using sites like Kijiji.

Another idea, a coworker and I started a clothing exchange. She was finding herself a bit bigger after battling an illness, while I was shrinking. We traded clothes in the interim while both of us were working toward our goals—it worked great!

Lastly, many kind people gave me hand-me-downs and "these-used-to-fit-me-but-now-they-don't-but-they'll-fit-you-so-here-you-go" clothes. It was a GREAT way to work through the transition!

Good luck! Aren't new clothes just the BEST motivation?!?! :)
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sale Racks are my best friend,also we have a place her called Plato Closet that buy used clothes so I sell the one that are to big and buy new ones. I also have a few pair of pants that I kept from when I was smaller that are my transition size.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have that problem, all my clothes are big and I dont want to buy new until I get to my goal...I usually use my leggings eventhough they still fit lose in the waist but hug my thighs. I want to get some yoga pants, they stretch and you can dress them down or up...:)
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    clearance racks and consignment shops are great places to get clothes that you won't be wearing for too long BUT i also recommend going out and buying a few brand-new things that fit really well, make you look & feel GREAT and are in a size (or a store!) that you've never been able to wear before! I also recommend getting new fitness gear as you shrink :) ---- I have to admit: i am addicted to my workout clothes! Don't spend a ton of money, but go ahead and buy a few things if you have money in the budget to do so! :)
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I second the Goodwill shopping. Often times you can find really great stuff there. I plan on doing most of my transitional shopping at Goodwill.

Exactly what I did! Found cheap clothes that were name brand, but knew I wouldn't feel bad about parting with when I got down to the next size!
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We have a store here called Burkes Outlet (also Bealls Outlet) and they have sales on pants a LOT of the time.. They have a "dot" system and the certain dots on the tags are a certain percent off. they are all new clothes. Anyhow, a few weeks ago, they had a special that ALL clearance was 70% off so I got 3 new with tag pairs of jeans for $3 each!!

We have Bealls Outlet-- love that place. I always find greats deals!! Good idea.