I was wondering if anyone else is trying to lose weight and

Redbella
Redbella Posts: 58 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Due to an tornado that hit my house I have been in a wheelchair for two years. I was overweight then and being paralyzed from the waistdown didnt help matters. Even "lazy" people or people with office jobs walk some that u just take for granted and now I no longer can, Also my husband was trying so desparately to put a smile on my face cause he hated me being depressed from the accident and the easiest way for him to do that would be to bring me all the foods I like. So I gained another 50 lbs. It has taken me a long time to heal and I am still in the chair but I can move my legs now. I have managed to lose almost all the 50 lbs I have gained and Im working on the weight I had before. I was just wondering if anyone else had physical challenges and what exercises you do to lose weight. I get in the pool alot. That is where I had to do my physical therapy. But its cold outside and I get sick of being cold. I was on the elliptical bike for awhile but its making my groin hurt, I think I am not healed enough for it. So any tips would be great.

Replies

• lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    maybe do some exercises with your arms?
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Sorry I dont have any tips for you but I would like to say that you are a great inspiration to me. People like you make everyday people see that they are just making excuses for not exercising!! Thanks for the post and I hope someone has some great tips for you!!
  • chelamg12
    chelamg12 Posts: 28 Member
    On the biggest looser the other day, one of the contestants has really bad knees and he was doing tons of upper body workouts...punches, jabs etc., add some weights... Look into this...and definitely continue with the pool...this will be really good for you...If you can swim...use a pull buoy between your legs and just use your arms...to create more drag swim with a shirt on. I hope this has been helpful and may you always show the strength you show now. The best of luck and thanks for showing me my excuses are lame!!!!!!!
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    I have a friend on facebook that may be able to give you some advice. He was over 600 lbs at one point. In a wheelchair. Not able to walk. He nearly lost his life and decided it was time for change. He has lost OVER 400 lbs and is out of the wheelchair and teaching other people about making healthy choices for themselves.

Wayne VandenLangenberg

I know he would be very happy to tell you what he can about how he got started in the beginning. I know one of the things he did was he lifted soup cans as wieghts to gain strength in his arms and upper body...

Good Luck to you and God Bless you for finding yourself again!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    I can offer no advice for workouts, but I would like to pass on my admiration to you for not giving up and trying to overcome what life has dealt you.

You are a true inspiration.

All the best on your healthiness journey.

Karen
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I would think just rolling yourself in a wheelchair would burn tons of cals. More than a walk even? So is it possible, terraine wise, to go for 'walks' but in your chair?

Just a thought :flowerforyou:
  • Redbella
    Redbella Posts: 58 Member
    Thank you all for the kind words and the advice! You have given me alot to think about. It gets kinda depressing when your mind is ready to go and ur body just cant keep up. But I am still making forward progress and that is whats important. I really like getting on the elliptical because I know I am burning fat and cal (sweating) but I guess its going to have to wait a little longer. At least I still have the pool and weights like everyone suggested. Thank you for the support and best wishes to all of you on ur own journeys!
This discussion has been closed.