Throwing away my crappy scale

Options
So I weigh everyday. I know, that's a little obsessive, but whatever. This morning my crappy scale told me 6 different weights. I was so mad. So when my mom woke up I borrowed her good scale and saw I had lost a pound since yesterday. Granted yesterday I worked my butt off exercising. I am thinking about getting one of those old fashioned scales, not a digital one. But I want some feedback as to what scale you all are using and if it's reliable,

Thanks!

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My digital scale gave crappy readings, too. Turns out I'm supposed to recalibrate it every time I move it

Place the scale on a flat, hard surface. Anything with any kind of padding is not a good choice. Step on the scale for a quick second with one foot, enough to get the numbers moving. Then step off, let the scale zero out and wait for all the numbers and lights to go out. Now step back on and weigh yourself
  • N0VV
    N0VV Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just got a Withings smart scale, I am OBSESSED. I never even bothered to own a scale before this one.

It does your weight, and automatically updates that to MFP and other apps that you use
    It does your fat %, however accurate that number may be I do not know
    HR, which I have found to be accurate
    C02 levels in your room, measuring air quality

It cost about $150, but worth it.
  • ang030867
    Options
    have you measured your self you may have loss inches in stead of weight if you have been working out hard
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    So when my mom woke up I borrowed her good scale and saw I had lost a pound since yesterday.

You only lost a pound IF you used your moms scales yesterday too!!
  • rachelr0875
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I tried to reset my scale but its so dumb! I cant afford a super expensive scale right now. I am willing to spend $50.00. (I don't know what that will buy me, lol)

No,
    I have not measured at all, even since the first start date. I am sure I have lost inches and my face looks smaller.
  • rachelr0875
    Options
    So when my mom woke up I borrowed her good scale and saw I had lost a pound since yesterday.

You only lost a pound IF you used your moms scales yesterday too!!

What do you mean? My scale was working yesterday. Today it broke. So I used hers.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The problem is the home scales aren't dead accurate (and yours were on the last legs by the sound of it) - so they rarely give the same reading as each other ... so you 'could' have lost a pound ... or more ,,, or less .. there's no way of knowing for sure.

Which is why I only record my weight using the same scales and on the same surface (carpet - tends to make them read differently too) ...... It's a nightmare this weigh loss stuff
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    scales read differently they aren't all calibrated the same that's obvious, i had 3 a really old set the non digital type, a Weight Watchers Digital Bio Scale and most recently a Fitbit Aria. all three gave different readings in the same flat position of my room.

The weight watchers one was the one that went up and down the most and the body fat was always higher or lower then my Aria which is more consistant the two never had the same weight readings I've passed on the weight watchers scale to a friend that cant afford one and hers broke, so atleast it's gone to a good home haha only thing i miss is knowing roughly my water weight and the fact it doesn't wifi sync everytime you step on it which the Aria does so you can't just do a quick check without it updating your profile.

The old non digital scale seemed in line with the Aria but given it's manual adjustment everytime you step off the scale needs to be manually adjusted back to zero with the nob or it goes out by a fraction of a lb each time...

Weight isn't everything tho, clothing fit, fitness and well being is a far better judge of what's going on. Water weight and muscle/muscle repair will mess with you if you go by weight alone.

Just get a set of scales you trust plop it on a hard even surface leave it there forever and weigh yourself first thing after you wake up after a toilet break too preferably and with no clothing or just underwear, that will be your lowest weight throughout out the day guarenteed If the surface has a slight slant or you stand differently each time it will throw the numbers off. and lastly if it's a bioscale it's a good idea to dampen the feet before stepping on them and definately dont wear socks
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was goint to buy one for home but think I'll stick with the calibrated digital scale at work (always between 0.1kg when I weigh twice for averaging).
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a bowflex digital which not only weighs you, but measures body fat%, water%, and muscle%.

I have a doctor's appointment every month, and get weighed there, as well, and the scale always agrees with my home scale.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just throw that crap away. I don't own one - never have, never will.

It only paints one small part of the picture. If your clothes are fitting fine, and you like what you see in the mirror, it's pointless to let 6 different numbers in the span of one weigh-in dictate how you feel about yourself. I just don't get the point of weighing every day.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Oddly, perhaps, I don't own scales. I weigh myself whenever I happen to be in a hospital (dad had cancer, mum had problems). The weigh (honk!) I judge things is by looking in the mirror and how well my clothes fit.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    So I weigh everyday. I know, that's a little obsessive, but whatever.

Actually I wouldn't think so, unless you're weighing yourself multiple times a day. Daily is good I find, as it lets me understand the rhythm of my body and weight a little, as opposed to just seeing it as black magic when the number goes down, lol.

Can't help with the scales suggestion I'm afraid. I use an old manual one that seems to be consistent as I've used it for the last three years or so now. The consistency surprised me actually, as its one of the models that was obviously so cheap that my feet just about fit on it, lol.

I would like to have one of those ones where you move the weights/ slider manually until it balances and you have your reading, but they seem are both expensive and bulky enough, so I don't see one of those in my immediate future, lol.
  • clarkindee
    clarkindee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just throw that crap away. I don't own one - never have, never will.

It only paints one small part of the picture. If your clothes are fitting fine, and you like what you see in the mirror, it's pointless to let 6 different numbers in the span of one weigh-in dictate how you feel about yourself. I just don't get the point of weighing every day.

:flowerforyou: Love this, Essjay!
  • mchlsmit
    mchlsmit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you need to weigh every day then just use your mother's scales...

1. Use a tape measure
    2. Use body fat callipers
    3. Take before/after pictures
    4. Now and again use a good scale at the doctors/hospital/pharmacy, etc.

You will see some fluctuation day by day from water weight, etc. so daily weighing isn't that accurate.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    We have both a medical type scale (cardinal) and a fitbit Aria. When we first got the Aria we would obsessively weigh ourselves in our old scale after weighing in the Aria because we did not trust it and found that it was pretty spot on. So now the old scale is in the attic.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have an Eat Smart that I got from amazon. It got good reviews and it has been consistent for me. I keep it on the bathroom floor and weight 1X a week 1st thing in the morning. I wanted the fitbit scale (I have a fitbit), but didn't want to spend the money.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032TNPOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    We have a Thinner digital scale from BB&B that we purchased 5 years ago for about 40 dollars.
    It works great and very consistent. It also measures body fat (don't know if that's accurate), bone mass and hydration.
    I'm not sure how accurate all that is, but for weight, it's fine.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My digital scale gave crappy readings, too. Turns out I'm supposed to recalibrate it every time I move it

Place the scale on a flat, hard surface. Anything with any kind of padding is not a good choice. Step on the scale for a quick second with one foot, enough to get the numbers moving. Then step off, let the scale zero out and wait for all the numbers and lights to go out. Now step back on and weigh yourself

But, but, but... how else could you use some scales??
  • rachelr0875
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. All I know is my starting weight and what the scale read today. I know weight isn't everything, but I really want to be out of the Obese BMI. The only way of knowing my progress towards that is by weighing myself. I am an anxious person so weighing 1x a week would send me over the edge. I know weight fluctuates daily as well. I am just trying to get a number and go with it. If its off by a pound or two either lost or gained, so be it. But what matters to me is that I see a number that is consistent every time I step on the scale (obviously within seconds not hours as you put on weight throughout the day from food and such). I doubt I have gained any weight. My doctor has me on a strict diet and I exercise 1-2x a day. I don't eat my exercise calories. It's hard for me to even make it to my goal calorie intake. I will be off to the store to purchase a new scale today. Hopefully it reads close to what my mom's read. The reason I don't want to share is I wake up before her and I like to weigh right away and I cant go in her room to her bathroom to weigh. I just like having my own scale.