Throwing away food.

Options
What do you guys think? Is it okay to throw away food?
Usually I try to use up vegetables, meat, eggs, etc. quickly and try not to waste food.
But what happens if you receive some high calorie food as a gift? Or impulse buy some "binge" food?
I got some chocolates as a gift today, and I feel that if I don't throw them away I'll eat them all (500 calories!) in a day. I know it's a waste when so many people in the world are without food. But if I eat the chocolates I'll feel guilty and will have less calories to afford on healthy and nutritious food...

Replies

• red2dot
    red2dot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would give them away! No wasting guilt, no over-calorie guilt. Let someone else enjoy.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Give them to a neighbor or co-worker, tell them you're watching your waistline or something but you thought they'd enjoy the treat.
  • hellicia
    hellicia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you have an elderly neighbor that lives near ya? Maybe not even an elderly person, but someone who doesnt have many people living in the household might like. For example... I love a single cookie....but I have to buy the whole box.... and since I am the only one in my household who eats cookies... I am tempted to eat more of them.... maybe someone else near you doesnt want a whole box either. Buy it, take your portion, and offer the rest to someone else. :) Plus an elderly person living by themselves may really appreciate the visit of you dropping something off for them! (might really make their day and also help you stay under your limit!)

If you receive high calorie gifts that are packaged foods, you could also try dropping them off at a local food pantry.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I go through this. I live in Brooklyn and am not close to my neighbors and work is just me and another friend using MFP too. So...Sometimes I throw away. Doesn't feel great but it cannot sit in the house just staring at me like that. No judging please.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just open the box and leave them in the break room at work. They'll be gone by lunch.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you were to sit the box of chocolate in a breakroom or common area, it will be gone in no time....coworkers serve a purpose
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think? Is it okay to throw away food?
    Usually I try to use up vegetables, meat, eggs, etc. quickly and try not to waste food.
    But what happens if you receive some high calorie food as a gift? Or impulse buy some "binge" food?
    I got some chocolates as a gift today, and I feel that if I don't throw them away I'll eat them all (500 calories!) in a day. I know it's a waste when so many people in the world are without food. But if I eat the chocolates I'll feel guilty and will have less calories to afford on healthy and nutritious food...

I like all the other ideas too, but I'll frequently eat the portion I want and throw the rest in the trash. 500 cals can't be a lot of chocolaty goodness anyway!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Most chocolates freeze well. I'd be freezing those suckers and doling them out one at a time.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    They last ages in the fridge too. Just have one a week. Chocolate is good for you.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I will give away food if I know I'll never finish it before it goes bad (or gets stale). If I overbuy, thinking I will finish it, but it ends up sitting there long enough… then I may throw it away, even if it's not really bad (just old). Personally, having "junk food" around doesn't bother me. I think I like knowing it's there. That way, I know I can have it. If I didn't have anything around, then I would crave it more.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I dont really use the "other people are starving" as an excuse to eat food just so it is not wasted. It will either become waste or put on your waist...if I can not give it away, I throw it out.

The entire mentality of "clean your plate" is also what contributed to me being obese. It is a saying that basically came from the 30's, when food was not the easiest to afford due to the depression. If I feel full, Ill throw that food out with pride knowing I can control my eating, and not let others guilt me to eat more than my body needs.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I dont really use the "other people are starving" as an excuse to eat food just so it is not wasted. It will either become waste or put on your waist...if I can not give it away, I throw it out.

The entire mentality of "clean your plate" is also what contributed to me being obese. It is a saying that basically came from the 30's, when food was not the easiest to afford due to the depression. If I feel full, Ill throw that food out with pride knowing I can control my eating, and not let others guilt me to eat more than my body needs.

I desperately need to learn this mindset and ruthlessly throw out food if I can't give it away. I had a couple hundred calories of food last night that I wasn't hungry for anymore (it's a minor miracle already when I notice hey, I'm full!) and I kept on eating it, with part of me looking on and thinking yep, this is my subconscious determination to not waste food with a world full of starving people and to clean my damn plate.

If I had more income, I'd put a dollar to a relief organization every time I left a crumb and feel good about not clearing my plate every meal, but I don't. Maybe I should try a quarter? I'll call it the dirty plate fund. You know, that isn't a bad idea.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    People are saying to put them in the fridge or the freezer and ration yourself to one a day. But why? She's already just said she can't do that.

OP, Get rid of them as soon and as safely as you can. Give them to someone if you can. Otherwise there's no need to feel guilty for chucking any junk food in the bin. Its all garbage anyway and is not going to actually help anyone. To some people it might provide some harmless pleasure to others its just as harmful to them as to you. So don't feel guilty. Bin it.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I threw away a baked potato yesterday after I remembered I revised my meals due to excess carbs yesterday, I regularly throw away an ounce or 2 of salmon or chicken if it doesn't fit my macros. I stopped buying a weeks worth of chicken and salmon because I am to stupid to remember to thaw it, or it stays in the fridge too long and it becomes questionable whether it is safe to eat or not. I now stop on the way home every day and pick up what I will be eating for dinner.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You will feel empowered and in control if you walk over to the trash and throw it in. This is all about you and what you need.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Why throw it out? If you can not resist the temptation, bring it to work (things go in a flash at my office) or give it to another friend or neighbor.

BTW, I eat a piece of chocolate every day. I have just disciplined myself to know that 1 piece is my limit and I fit it in to my calories for the day.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no excuse for throwing away a box of chocolates. Nobody is saying you should eat them, but throwing away good food is immoral.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Do you have an elderly neighbor that lives near ya? Maybe not even an elderly person, but someone who doesnt have many people living in the household might like. For example... I love a single cookie....but I have to buy the whole box.... and since I am the only one in my household who eats cookies... I am tempted to eat more of them.... maybe someone else near you doesnt want a whole box either. Buy it, take your portion, and offer the rest to someone else. :) Plus an elderly person living by themselves may really appreciate the visit of you dropping something off for them! (might really make their day and also help you stay under your limit!)

If you receive high calorie gifts that are packaged foods, you could also try dropping them off at a local food pantry.

Yes, being a teacher I usually receive several 'gifts' of chocolates, sweets, etc., at holiday time or end of year. I have done this the past several years...I'll 'rewrap' in a nice bag and 'secretly' place the item outside my neighbors door - I live in a condo and I am somewhat aware of who lives on my floor. I'll put a little note inside explaining - hopefully, it adds to their day:)

Either give them away or throw them out - I personally don't consider chocolates 'food' anyways.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I threw away a baked potato yesterday after I remembered I revised my meals due to excess carbs yesterday, I regularly throw away an ounce or 2 of salmon or chicken if it doesn't fit my macros. I stopped buying a weeks worth of chicken and salmon because I am to stupid to remember to thaw it, or it stays in the fridge too long and it becomes questionable whether it is safe to eat or not. I now stop on the way home every day and pick up what I will be eating for dinner.

I thaw my frozen food in the microwave using the defrost or vegetable function minutes before cooking it. I used to have lots of vegetables go bad before doing this, and cooked meat infrequently due to everything you mentioned.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    x2
    If you were to sit the box of chocolate in a breakroom or common area, it will be gone in no time....coworkers serve a purpose