Going over on my fat - but its healthy fat. A problem?

Options
Hi all,

I'm going over on my fat number. However I'm an overall healthy eater, I just noticed today's food I packed for work might not have been the best combination.

Almonds with greek yogurt for breakfast & a cup of almond milk in a latte, lunch salad has toasted sesame oil, avocado and peanuts over cabbage (a delicious salad! Add cilantro, rice vinegar and a few squeezes of lemon - its amazing…!).

And I'm about 20 grams over in a fat today. To me its all from good sources, is this going to be really bad for my weight loss / prevent any loss even if I stay under in calories? Guess I'm working out hard tonight!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit, you're fine.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I consider my fat and protein goals as minimums to hit rather than maximums to stay below. As long as your calories are still in the right range and you don't have any medical reasons to avoid fat, you're fine.
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats keep you fuller and satisfied, plus if you can fit them into your calories, you are fine!!! I eat peanut butter and avacados almost everyday, great for you :)
  • canadafats
    Options
    Agreed that healthy fats keep you full for a longer time. Especially avocado! I like to get the most amount of food for the calories so I limit my nut intake only because they are SO high in calories for such a small amount of food.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Depends on your over all macros and your body. I eat 80% of cals from fat.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I go over my fats almost every day - also from nuts, olive oil, avocados, etc. I don't worry about the fats at all since they are healthy fats and I'm still losing weight. I also go over my protein alot too. I just look at the calories and sodium :) Good luck!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Going over on healthy fats, like what's found in most nuts, avocados, peanut butter, fish, olive/canola oil is not a problem. Saturated fats and trans fats, however, are bad for you so you want to watch you intake of foods like butter, cream, cheese, beef, chocolate (sorry!), sausages, tropical oils, margarine, commercially baked cakes/cookies/pastries.

All fats, no matter what kind, are dense in calories. Just a 1/4 cup (36g) of almonds packs in around 180 calories.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    Yes and no. Going over on healthy fats, like what's found in most nuts, avocados, peanut butter, fish, olive/canola oil is not a problem. Saturated fats and trans fats, however, are bad for you so you want to watch you intake of foods like butter, cream, cheese, beef, chocolate (sorry!), sausages, tropical oils, margarine, commercially baked cakes/cookies/pastries.

All fats, no matter what kind, are dense in calories. Just a 1/4 cup (36g) of almonds packs in around 180 calories.

Saturated fat is not bad for you, that is a myth and has been disproven by many recent studies. The type of fat you want to avoid is trans fats or hydrogenated fats which are man made. Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat and is one of the healthiest fats you can put into your body. I would avoid sat fat from conventionally raised meats though as they are much higher in omega 6 fats than grass fed. Animals also store toxins in their fat so lean is best if you eat low quality meats.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats and trans fats, however, are bad for you so you want to watch you intake of foods like butter, cream, cheese, beef, sausages, tropical oils.

There is nothing wrong with those foods you listed. I eat ton of saturated fat.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting enough protein and meeting your calorie goals, then don't worry about going over on fat. It's not bad for you and is likely better than going over on carbs. Just avoid "trans fat."
  • MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks all this was helpful!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats and trans fats, however, are bad for you so you want to watch you intake of foods like butter, cream, cheese, beef, sausages, tropical oils.

The American Heart Association disagrees. Eating a lot of saturated fat is a risk factor for heart disease, along with diabetes, family history, smoking, hypertension, obesity, age, eating too many refined carbs, and not getting enough exercise. The more risk factors you have, the greater the chances you will eventually develop heart disease. That doesn't mean sat fat all by itself will make you sick. Often the risk factors are linked together. For me personally, saturated fat is very directly linked to high cholesterol. It wasn't always this way for me but as I've aged, the effect has gotten worse. Same thing with sodium and high blood pressure: didn't used to affect me at all. Now, I have to watch my sodium.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    As someone whose eating plan is all about the fats, I don't see it as an issue. Fats are satiating and yummy!
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options

The American Heart Association disagrees. Eating a lot of saturated fat is a risk factor for heart disease, along with diabetes, family history, smoking, hypertension, obesity, age, eating too many refined carbs, and not getting enough exercise. The more risk factors you have, the greater the chances you will eventually develop heart disease. That doesn't mean sat fat all by itself will make you sick. Often the risk factors are linked together. For me personally, saturated fat is very directly linked to high cholesterol. It wasn't always this way for me but as I've aged, the effect has gotten worse. Same thing with sodium and high blood pressure: didn't used to affect me at all. Now, I have to watch my sodium.

You need to do a bit more research. The AHA made their recommendations based on work done by Ancel Keys when he became one of their board members and prior to this they had no belief that there was any link between sat fat/cholesterol and heart disease. Since then, he has changed his tune and said he was wrong about the risk of sat fat. Here's an article you might want to read and do some further reading on the subject. The information on sat fat is outdated and recent studies have disproved it: http://chriskresser.com/cholesterol-doesnt-cause-heart-disease
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread; I go over my fats each day; I had to go low carb for awhile; I am always below in calories, though. The fats I consume come from raw, whole almonds, olive oil. sunflower or pumpkin seeds, stuff like that. I do enjoy fresh mozzarella cheese with my tomato at lunchtime, but for the most part, my fats come from healthy sources. I am interested to see more input on this topic.