Finally found a breakfast that actually fills me up...

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
And it only took me 1.5 year!

I've tried eggs, oatmeal with toppings or pb2, protein pancakes, shakes, Greek yogurt with fruit or nut butter... nothing ever worked and unless I ate 600+ calories, I was hungry 3 hours later.

Then one day I bought some hazelnut butter, after someone posted about it here, and tried it with oatmeal (the instant kind)... and I was full for 5 hours. Tried something else the next day... hungry again 2 hours later. Switched back to oatmeal and nut butter... full again for 5 hours. And it's only 300-350 calories.

So much for the 'protein keeps you fuller' thing. It only gives me 7g of protein. I guess the combination of fiber from whole grains and fat is what works for me.

Now to find a way to stop it from being boring... I alternate nut butters (pecan, peanut/chocolate and hazelnut) but still.

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm not a big oatmeal fan, but I can do steel cut oats and multi-grain oats since they don't get mushy. The hazelnut butter sounds great, I've never tried it (other than Nutella). Last week I made scrambled tofu with soy chorizo, onions & peppers (I'm vegetarian) and had it in a whole wheat wrap. That kept me full until lunch time with protein, fiber & fat as well.

I like to make smoothies for weekday breakfast (mine are about 200-225 calories each) because I can sip them at my desk for a few hours & that keeps me from getting hungry and wanting a snack before lunch.
  • MichaelDByers
    Options
    I know fast-food is typically blasphemy on this site, but I've been eating McDonalds Egg-White Delights. They're only 250 calories each and keep me going to lunch. :)
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Wait until you get your hands on Biscoff cookie butter :love: :heart:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me going for more than a few hours is about 800 calories of full English breakfast!

But then I don't see how being hungry 3 hours after you eat something is bad anyway?
  • Francl27
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me going for more than a few hours is about 800 calories of full English breakfast!

But then I don't see how being hungry 3 hours after you eat something is bad anyway?

3 hours is on a good day, lol. Often it's 2... and when I have breakfast at 6.30am it sucks to be hungry again at 9am.

I've been avoiding the cookie butter, but I might have to try it out...
  • Aguacia33
    Options
    Mix everything up the night before with milk or almond milk and put it in the fridge. The oatmeal is so creamy and delicious! You can find a lot o great recipes for refrigerator oats on pinterest.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Beware - the cookie butter is addictive!

You may want to consider adding your nut butters to other items - such as a topping for your protein pancakes or just on a slice of bread. You may be on to something...I know for an afternoon snack I often have an apple with a bit of peanut butter and it keeps me full until dinner.

Thanks for the post!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Fat keeps me full better than protein... I only had a portion of cheese, nuts, and a tortilla for lunch one day and that kept me satisfied for a good 6 hours until dinner. Same idea for breakfast.
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal always keeps me super full, sometimes to the point that it actually upsets my tummy though :( But I think it just expands inside of you basically haha. Oatmeal is a great choice for optimal weight loss, from what I hear!
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I know fast-food is typically blasphemy on this site, but I've been eating McDonalds Egg-White Delights. They're only 250 calories each and keep me going to lunch. :)

There are some decent choices at fast food chains. I used to work at McDonald's as a manager so sometimes I'd have 2 meals there a day and that was during the time when I lost like 15 to 20 pounds without even noticing to be honest.

Gosh I wish that would happen again, however, I don't want the fast food haha
  • Francl27
    Options
    Mix everything up the night before with milk or almond milk and put it in the fridge. The oatmeal is so creamy and delicious! You can find a lot o great recipes for refrigerator oats on pinterest.

I wish I liked the stuff, but I don't :(
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I dunno where you got that idea....

And what is it with throwing egg yokes away?