Brocolli has calories

Options
Hey, Can anyone help. I am bit confused.I entered Brocolli and it said it cost 33 Calories from my day. I though all veg was free? Its nearly forcing me not to eat Vegtables or am I reading this right? :frown:

Replies

• BlutAura
    Options
    Everything has calories, 0 or negative calories are urban myth.
  • BlessedMystique
    BlessedMystique Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand ur question....Every food has calories. Anything you put in your mouth, chew and swallow has calories.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Nothing in life is free!
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat has calories. Brocolli is better for you to eat-but it still has calories. 33 isn't a lot-so it isn't telling you not to eat it. Now, if you were in Weight Watchers before-yup, we were told they were free:)
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    All foods have calories so when you're counting calories, nothing is free. Things like brocolli, celery, green beans are very low in calories and are so good for you and the calories I get from these things, are not what made me overweight in the first place. :smile:
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty much everything has calories in it, even lettuce. However, vegetables are not high in calories and are packed full of nutrients. What do you mean it's forcing you to not eat vegetables? When I changed my diet I replaced any starch sides (potatoes, noodles, mac n cheese, chips, etc.) with lots of extra vegetables. I would be much more concerned with removing the 200 calorie sides that are packed full of fats and high in calories.
  • pilipok73
    pilipok73 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vegetables such as broccoli is free to eat at any time since it is recommended to cut fat in bodybuilders and other athletes even before the competitions. If you cook broccoli without any additives such as butter you can eat it and not feel guilty.
    Check out any fitness articles on the internet and it will tell you that broccoli is good for you during dieting stage.
    If I may make a suggestion I would recommend do no obsess over calorie counting so much. Just make healthy choices and eliminate process carbs such as white past and such, and stick with unprocessed foods. Pile up on veggies but limit potatoes in you daily regimen.

In my opinion anyone who is eating clean is already a winner.
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Brocolli has calories, but it also has a lot of nutrients that our bodies need, including, Vitamin A & C, Calcium, and iron. And it's very low calorie for all that it gives you. I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor, but if everything has calories, it's reasonable to focus on the benefits per calorie.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Broccoli does have calories, but it's low in calories and it's good for you. It's better to use your calories on healthy stuff like veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean proteins. Your body needs calories to function, they aren't bad for you.
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    It's true. The only thing with (truly) zero calories is pure water. Even the "zero" calorie I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and PAM has calories if you spritz more than the recommended serving (which is 1 spray or 1/3 of a second or something similar...FDA allows marketing to say no calorie or zero calorie if it is less than 5 calories per serving, and the servings may not be what the average person uses). Anywho, aside from my mini rant about zero calorie foods, veggies have calories. If you follow Weight Watchers, some may not have had any points if the calories are low enough and the fiber is high enough (but this may have been on the previous points program and not the new one they have now).
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat has calories. Brocolli is better for you to eat-but it still has calories. 33 isn't a lot-so it isn't telling you not to eat it. Now, if you were in Weight Watchers before-yup, we were told they were free:)

Exactly-- "free" in Weight Watchers points is not necessarily free in calories. WW points are roughly based on calorie counts, but are weighted to reward choosing high-fiber foods (particularly from vegetable sources--hence the "free" veggies) and to penalize choosing high fat foods.

Here, there's no weighting-- just calorie counting. But a cup of broccoli at 33 calories is a heck of a lot better than a cup of loaded baked potato soup at 323 calories!
  • jbars11
    jbars11 Posts: 71
    Options
    I think you might be thinking of weight watchers....where veggies are zero points. I really recommed veggie steamers, I bring them for my lunch and I have half the bag with a small chicken breast and I am satisfied.

Don't give up on the veggies!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that you can consume vegetables? That was just a weird comment. You need them period. No question.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Filling up on veggies will make you too full to eat the things that are much higher in calories. If you tried to each your daily allotment of calories just from fruits and veggies, you'd probably explode! A little goes a long way! :smile:
  • barberella
    Options
    No, no, no. Do not stop eating your veggies. Broccoli, of course, had calories, but it's wonderful for you. It has a lot of benefits more than just low calories. It provides a lot of protein and vitamins and minerals as well. So stick with it despite it has some calories.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Like most everyone else has said... everything you eat has calories. You just have to choose which foods are worth spending your calories on! If you tried to eat 0 calories all day, you would starve to death! Your body needs calories to survive. Just not a TON of calories or the calories that come from "bad" foods! So eat your broccoli, and all other veggies for that matter!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Brocolli has calories, but it also has a lot of nutrients that our bodies need, including, Vitamin A & C, Calcium, and iron. And it's very low calorie for all that it gives you. I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor, but if everything has calories, it's reasonable to focus on the benefits per calorie.

Ditto :bigsmile:
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    in this case calories = energy.

When I entered my regular cup of coffee this AM, I found out that coffee has 5 calories! I thought it was 0 (it is just coffee grinds and water, not one of those speciality coffees from a shop)

Guess that is why you have to enter EVERYTHING you put into your mouth.
  • edunne1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was just so use to the weight watchers.,That all veg is 0 POINTS? Again My mind frame is changing and this web site is brilliant for that and the forum is brilliant. Loads of help and support thank you. When I know how to use this site correctly I hope I can help other people.
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fruits and Vegetables both have natural sugars so yes, they do have calories. However, in comparison to a cookie that contains processed sugars, natural sugars are much easier and faster to break-down and process in the body.

Thus, for a diabetic, it's better to drink orange juice than eat a cookie.