1600 calorie meal plan?!?!!

Options
scorl
scorl Posts: 51 Member
Hey there - been a long time since I've used MFP and I need to get back to it. I've been consistently going to a 'bootcamp' (like Tabata style - 30 sec workout, 10 sec rest and switch) for about 8 weeks and seeing results, but need to boost things up a notch. I was told by my trainer, based on 'my numbers' and my activity level that I should eat 1600 calories a day. Say what?!?!!! Not really sure how much I'm eating, but that seems like so much for me to pack into one day. (PS-I do realize ppl eat more than this but this is my situation and a new way of thinking) Can someone help me with a meal plan?

Typically I've been eating a little scrambled egg that I bake in a muffin tin (make ahead of time on Sundays so I have them all wk) Either a ham egg cup or I'll use bacon. Then Bootcamp, then protein shake when I get home. Snack is like almonds or some granola-ish bar. Lunch is kinda where I'm stuck - started working again and need stuff made ahead of time. Then Dinner has been a lean meat and veggies or something.

I think I just need some help outlining a day and I can do it. Just tell me what to eat and I'll do it!!! THANKS in advance!

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Can you make a sandwich to take to work the night before? Like a regular deli meat sandwich or PB&J with some fresh veggies and a piece of fruit? Or maybe a pot of yogurt and a granola bar?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Add some more veggies/meat alongside your breakfast.

Packed salads shouldn't be too bad for lunch (salad in a jar from Pinterest) but if you're looking to bump up your calories a little more, you might even try a green smoothie some days? Or just add some coconut oil to your day.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I typically eat around 1600, and my diary is open if you'd like to check it out (although I have been eating weird this past week or so). A typical day for me is...
    Oatmeal with fruit and honey or a smoothie with protein.
    Snack of Greek yogurt and almonds or fruit
    Lunch of soup and crackers, salad or yesterday's leftovers
    Small snack after work - an apple or something.
    Dinner of some sort of grain, protein and veggies. Tonight I am making a big pot of beans and cornbread, tomorrow is chicken, rice and broccoli.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1600 is hardly loads... I eat 1700 and struggle to stay under without adding exercise cals!
  • scorl
    Options
    Thanks yall.. if I custom set my goals - what should I make the protein, fat, carbs percentages?!

Don't get the whole 'eat back exercise calories' thing... any explanation there?
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I'm on a 1560 C a day run and I'm lucky to to get to 1100 C. And I'm starting to exercise too and I always get the under 1200 C warning.
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories are just replacing the energy you used to workout.
    You're just basically giving yourself more "free" calories to work with in a day. Burn 300 calories on a 40 minute bike ride? You get another 300 calories in your daily goal and end up with the same "net" calories.

The reason some people DONT eat back exercise calories: keeping in mind that MFP tends to overestimate how many calories you burn by a significant amount, and most people underestimate at least a little of how much they're eating, I don't think it's good to eat back ALL of the calories unless you're really sure about the accuracy of your numbers. Some people are also in the mindset that you shouldn't be eating as much as possible if you're trying to lose weight, or whatever. I say, if you're hungry, eat!

My go-to rule is that I eat back up to half my exercise calories IF i feel super hungry, which I often do after burning so much!
    My goal is set to 1800 calories (custom, I just couldn't keep up with the 1600 MFP told me) and I often eat about 2000 because of exercise. My macros are set to 40 C, 30 F, 30 P, which has been working pretty well for me.

Different ratios work better for some people, find what you like the best.
  • Sie_Con
    Options
    Also if you're having trouble meeting calories (which I don't understand because I struggle to keep mine UNDER haha) some healthy ways to add calories and nutrition: cook vegetables in olive oil, spread peanut butter on toast or in a smoothie, use full fat cheese and dairy (fat is not the enemy!!!), add things like coconut oil or milk to a smoothie or coffee, snack on a serving of cashews.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    You'll know if you gain or lose weight, if it's the right amount of calories or not.

People are different, my husband needs to stay away from fats (cholesterol), I don't have that problem. I need to stay away from starches (cravings), he doesn't have that problem. He can't put on weight, I just have to look at it to gain. We're opposites.

But here's what works for me:

- 60-90 gm protein daily minimum
    - 8 glasses of water daily minimum
    - 2 multivitamins daily
    - 2-3 Citrical
    - Use nuts, olive (oil), avocado, seeds, etc. to get enough fats to process vitamins (peanut butter, guacamole, olive-oil mayo, Lite olive-oil to cook with) - careful lots of calories here :wink: (avoid saturated fats)
    - Vegetables daily
    - Fresh fruits (num num - this can be better than candy!)
    - Less-processed carbs preferably, and higher-fiber (oats, rice, whole wheat, quinoa, corn, bean, etc.)

For lots of flavor with less calories: tomato sauces, salsa, hummus.
    For lots of protein: lean meats, fish, poultry, almond milk or dairy (milk cheese yogurt etc), protein shakes, eggs, beans, nuts, soy.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am on 1620 a day and here is a typical day for me during the week

breakfast, cereal or toast, fruit and a latte
    Snack: malt loaf
    Lunch: sandwich with lean meat, cheese, spinach, banana, packet crisps, banana
    snack: cereal bar or fruit bar
    Dinner, chicken or fish, noodles/polenta/potatoes, lots of veg
    snack: yoghurt

On excersise days I will have another bowl of cereal or toast pre workout, and maybe another banana.
    I find that it is enough food for me, I couldn't eat much less and keep up my activity levels.

Hope that helps
  • scorl
    Options
  • scorl
    Options
  • scorl
    Options
    So if I should have 1600 calories a day and workout and burn 500... then I should eat 2100?
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    That's pretty close to what I eat when I'm staying on track. Here's what a good day for me would look like.

Breakfast
    2 Eggs (140 calories)
    1/2 c rolled oats (150 cals)
    a banana (100 calories)
    =390 Calories

Lunch:
    1 Can tuna (150 cals)
    1 T Olive oil Mayo (40 cals)
    Relish onion etc.
    2 slices Wheat Bread (120 cals)
    Apple (70 cals)
    = 380 Calories

Snack:
    1 Cup fat free plain Greek Yogurt (130 cals)
    Sweetener of Choice (I use Splenda)
    1/2 tsp Vanilla extract (10 cals)
    10 Almonds (70 cals)
    Strawberries (70 cals)

Dinner:
    6 ounces Chicken Breast (187 cals)
    Small Sweet Potato (150 cals)
    2 cups roasted Broccoli (60 cals)
    1T olive oil
    =517 calories
  • Sie_Con
    Options
    Yeah if you're super positive about how much you're eating and that you're burning that much for real (not the MFP estimate), then sure. If it was me then I would eat about 1850 on a day like that, but only if I wasn't feeling satisfied enough on 1600 calories. This is totally up to the individual!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So if I should have 1600 calories a day and workout and burn 500... then I should eat 2100?

if you used MFP to get your calorie goal, then yes.
  • scorl
    Options
    yeah I've worn my heart rate monitor and I burn atleast 450-500+ calories
  • HealthierFoodie
    HealthierFoodie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1600 calories a day right now. Here's what my menu looks like for today:

Breakfast: Ezekiel toast with 1/2 an avocado and a couple of tomato slices and 1/2 c low fat cottage cheese - 300 cal
    Snack: Protein bar (Think Thin) - 230 cal
    Lunch: Gardein Szechuan "beef" with 1 c broccoli, 1/2 c green beans, 1/4 c mushrooms, 1/2 c edamame, and 1/2 c brown rice - 485 cal
    Snack: Greek salad with 1 mini cucumber, 10 grape tomatoes, 2 tablespoons fat free feta, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 tablespoon chopped shallots and some lemon juice - 125 cal
    Dinner: Asparagus and mushroom quinoa "risotto" (40g asparagus, 2 oz mushrooms, 1/4 c dry quinoa, 1 c chicken broth, 1 tablespoon parmesan, 1 tablespoon shallots, garlic) with 3 oz shrimp - 300 cal
    Snack: Raw almonds - 160 cal

Yours will of course vary due to personal needs/preferences, macros, etc.

Feel free to check out my diary for ideas - it's open! (Don't judge, I'm not perfect) :flowerforyou: