I've just had it.......

Options

Replies

• Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh boy... You can do this, its all about the logging!!! How to manipulate your calories and still satisfy your cravings... When I want a meal that is very high in calories, I plan for it... I eat light throughout the day, work out hard to make room for that 1000 calorie+ meal I plan to have. I also have a food scale, so I weigh out my portions to ensure accuracy. You have to do it for yourself, you can't worry about what others think. But I love to lift, and being in the gym in general... The gym allows me to eat more...
    I totally agree with this. And it works. I'm living proof. The biggest thing I did to help me be successful was get a scale and weigh everything I ate. It became like a game to me to see how many grams that nectarine or piece of chicken weighed. Boy my idea of portion size was all screwed up....no wonder I gained weight. Now days I don't have to weigh everything as my eye is better at gauging portion sizes, but I still do for the most part as it keeps me confident. Days I go over my calorie goals, I log anyways so I can review later and adjust or just shake my head and continue on. I exercise for cardio and strength training and I'm not hungry. I found what works best for me. I hope you can do the same! Good luck! It's ALL YOU hon! Nobody else. ????????????????☀️????????
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Learn to love your body! Go to the gym! Working out makes you feel great! Not just physically but mentally! It helps with depression among many other things. Also a food scale is a must. I use it to weigh out my proteins, and snacks, like nuts and ice cream. The most important thing though is logging!! I know what's coming in. I have my days where I go way overboard lol. On Friday I had nearly 3000 calories worth of Chinese buffet in one sitting... It didn stop me from working out the next morning, and continue as if it never happened; I have even experienced weight loss in the days following such glutinous meals.
    Point is, this site is awesome, and a privilege, use it! Its a lifestyle change not dieting!
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

I hear that you are sick and tired of giving up and giving in! That you are ready to change! That you want to stop making excuses for not following through! That you want to establish a healthy pattern with food! YOU GO GIRL!! YOU CAN DO THIS!! :flowerforyou:
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you logging?? You can have your snacks, just reach your caloric goal.. Why is it so difficult? Do you train?
    its difficult because food is a drug and the addiction we have to it is more powerful than the will to lose weight. youre on mfp you should know this. I don't mean to come off as being rude but some people ask why is it so hard and they are on here for the same reasons that we are. or are they? anyway I know what this all feels like because I have done the same thing. always say tomorrow is the day and then the next day I eat like a pig and put it off for the following day. its not easy at all. its one thing to be honest and give it to people straight and another to just be rude and not understanding. maybe you were neither but that's how I took it

Its cool, didn't mean to be rude.. Its just that the site provides the tools needed for success, and I find It simple as long as you follow it. I understand that this is a sensitive topic for many, and I admit that's something I have to work on. The Op is a tuffy though lol, she wants it straight and to the point! I like that! I believe she's going to be successfully! Last word of advice from me, don't start tomorrow start right now damn it!!
  • fit4myfamily11
    fit4myfamily11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Caesar,

You have me figured out pretty good ;)

I am a toughie and I NEED TO hear it like it is.. I don't need sugar coating.... and I am not easily offended by someone telling me straight..... I think I need to hear this... I feel people have tip toed around me way to much and not to my benefit!!!!! I need someone to get all military on me!!! Stop telling me how good I look after having x amount of kids.. just because my cute tops cover all what is underneath and you think I couldn't possibly weigh as much as I am telling you... yes, i hide it well.... im tired of hiding it...... I think you get the point ;)

Yep, I'm ready for this....
    i will come to the boards when I have an urge or when I feel like im slipping, use you guys and my "Friends" on here to support me...... and I will do this same for you ;)

My motto.....#readytobesexymamaagain ;)
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Re: eating out of boredom. I second the advice to not keep food in the house if you know it is "food with no brakes" for you. I also second the advice to physically put the food where you cannot see it (out of sight, out of mind), and to distract yourself by doing something else to engage your body (like walk, or swim, or paint, or dance) or your mind (read a book, watch a TV show, do a sudoku or puzzle, play a card or video game). If you are not yet ready to stop eating for emotional reasons, substitute the food for lower calorie or healthier, more filling options. Or make it fit into your calorie goals for the day.

You mentioned eating large amounts of cookies, here's a question: are you eating them because they're there, eating them past fullness to distract yourself from some other emotion, or eating them because you're afraid you won't get to have any more for some reason in the future?

A practical tip in the meantime is to cut down dessert recipes to make just enough servings for one apiece. If there's no leftovers hanging around, there's nothing to overeat... ;)

For information on setting macros: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • fit4myfamily11
    fit4myfamily11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do think i eat of of boredom, or just because its there.. they food is there, so i eat it.........
    thank you for those tips!!!! I will use them for sure!!!!!
  • Snowdog999
    Snowdog999 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am just new to this site and am just starting my journey so don't really feel like I have any right to give anyone any advice but I think for me, I have to get myself into the mindset of "loving my body more than my mouth or my stomach". I find that if I can resist something long enough to forget about it, I am OK. I just need to find a distraction at that particular moment when I think I want something. Then a couple of hours go by and I think, oh, I forgot all about that cookie I wanted. Good for me!

But if you plan and log, you can sometimes have that cookie, you just have to make it work for your daily calorie count. Don't think that your life is going to be one of deprivation forever. You need to give yourself some treats, but do it when it works for your plan. You are in control and you can do it! Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had another thought since you mentioned eating out of boredom. Does the texture of your food matter to you a lot? I find that variety in texture (like, creamy and crunchy together) is very important to how satisfying a meal is to me. If I end up eating very "boring" meals that don't have that kind of textural or visual variety, suddenly I start craving a lot more sweet treats and salty snacks. But if I make sure to have a variety of colour on my plate, and variety of texture and taste (like sweet and sour, or savoury), suddenly my normal food is interesting enough that I don't even think about ice cream, cake, cookies, etc. Just an idea.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I like the "get mad" advice. You don't want it enough. You are full of excuses and allow yourself the "all or nothing" attitude. That never works because NOTHING is all good or all bad. This is a choice you get to make. Heck, you get to make a thousand choices every day. You don't have to let one choice dictate your other choices, but you do. And why? Because you simply don't want it enough right now.

Now, go ahead and get mad at me and USE it for yourself. Prove me an *kitten******. Tell the whole world that you matter enough to you to do what you need to do. A ton of people have given you some great advice. USE IT!!!
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think that until you decide for yourself that you are worth the time and effort to take care of yourself nothing anybody says and no trick anyone offers is going to stick for the long term. I am 44 years old and the past two years have been hell in my family which totally messed with my weight. I had every excuse in the book--I'm too tired to exercise, I'm still young enough to get on top of this (at some vague later time in the future), it's not that bad, a cup of tea and nine cookies are the only thing that makes me feel better right now, hard day with the husband, one donut isn't that big of a deal, kids were difficult, it's cloudy out--excuse after excuse. And you know what? Until I decided what my ENOUGH was, it didn't matter how tight my pants were (heck, I just bought new pants), it didn't matter that I had no energy, it didn't matter that I couldn't keep up with my kids at the beach. I wish I could say I had a big A-HA moment, but I didn't. On June 30 I signed up/logged in here and I have lost 10 pounds since then. I am off for the summer, so I have worked out every day, sometimes twice. I realize things may change when I go back to school in the fall (teacher), but it sure was nice to jump start this. I don't know what changed in my head, but something did. I am able to not have the nine cookies I used to have and only eat one. I have also quit buying stuff for my family that I shouldn't be eating--if it's unhealthy for me, why should they eat it? I am able to have one slice of pizza not four.
    I wish I could tell you what changed, but really I just got tired of being flabby. No one in my house has noticed the 10 pounds I've lost but I don't care--I didn't lose it for anyone else. I lost it for me.
    I wish I had some magic trick but I don't. You have to decide for yourself. No matter who you are or what kind of life you have, above all you deserve to feel well and healthy.
  • beckystropicalsmoothie
    Options
    you have said it all! Now just decide to do it. One day at a time, One meal at a time, one walk at a time.... It is up to you to make it happen.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Granted I only skimmed, so this may have been said already.

What got you to use MFP before? You said yourself you did MFP, got sexy, then let yourself go. Why? Got tired of logging everything? No friends?
  • MEPQ44
    MEPQ44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I have had many instances where I eat too much or simply make a horrible food choice, and I want to instantly give up and restart another day. However, when I do make a bad food choice, I just log the bad food choice into MFP diary. And when I look back at the bad stuff I have eaten it somehow motivates me to take initiative to try harder the next day. When I look at the numbers I rack up in a day on MFP it really helps me to see what I am putting into my body as well as develop ways to reduce some of the not-so- healthy things I like to eat. When the numbers in my diary turn red instead of blue, I know I have done something unhealthy for my body so I always try harder to fix it the next day. Don't just give up each day that you eat more then you should, or make the wrong choices, because its through those bad decisions/ choices that you eventually learn what the right choices are!
    It is very difficult to feed others around you and not be tempted to eat what they are eating. One of my tricks in trying to fix such a situation is to not order out food from a restaurant, but instead try to recreate the same food I order at a restaurant, in my own kitchen. This allows you to alter the recipes so that it fits your healthy lifestyle and can still be good for your family as well!

For instance: Instead of ordering out pizza, make pizza at home from scratch. You can still make the standard white crust pizza that your kids love, all while making pizza for yourself too. All you have to do is place the same pizza toppings on a whole wheat tortilla shell! This way you still get the taste of having pizza and you are eating no differently then your family. Using tortilla shells is a great substitute for pizza crust, its lighter and tastes even better. With time, your children may start to like your new way of cooking and decide they want to eat tortilla pizzas too!

You can make alterations to just about any favorite recipe! I urge you to give it a try, and then make sure to log your food intake no matter what food choice you make. It takes time, but you will eventually catch on and do great!
  • EnitanDreamer
    EnitanDreamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a confession, I know just how you feel,it has been like this for me for the last few weeks except I am training. I eat healthy then I smell delicious African cuisine or stop in the shop and buy crappy snacks or forget to drink water for the whole day like seriously. I went to the gym 2 weeks in a row 1 day on 1 day off, although I've recently been bereaved I still shouldn't sabotage the training for this....it was only on the day I felt the dread and gloom. So I know exactly how you feel, but I agree with other posters it really is a mind game.
  • dinaesia
    dinaesia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't give up so easy. Come on, you can do this. Just because you make one mistake doesn't ruin the whole day. Everyone of us has probably gone over our calorie limit at one point or another.
    I've been on MFP for two months. My first month, I only made my caloric goal FIVE days out of that first month. This second month, I made my caloric goal seventeen days out of the month. I still lost weight, because I'm eating less than I did before. I'm averaging 1.5 lb per week. I've hit plateaus and stayed on them for FOREVER before they broke. But they broke. I've binged and corrected my diet. And I will again, until I learn the pattern. Logging in at MFP helps me see the overall picture. Then I can make informed decisions about what I should eat. As I eat healthier, I find that my cravings aren't as strong.

Do some homework. Read the beginning posts about getting your sexy pants back and BMI/TDEE. Start with simple choices. Choose an apple over some cookies. Have a glass of water instead of soda. Try frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. Shaving calories can shave your waistline.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    you have said it all! Now just decide to do it. One day at a time, One meal at a time, one walk at a time.... It is up to you to make it happen.
    I resisted this saying for so long, but it really is true. You either do it or you don't do it. It's that simple. Yoda was right. "Do or don't do. There is no try." It's just that simple. Nike got it right, too. "Just do it." One day at a time is all any of us can do. One step at a time. One hour at a time. It's simple but no one is going to say it's easy.
    One thing that helped me break (most) of my "trigger foods" is to tell myself that, right now I won't eat it, but tomorrow I will allow myself to eat it. Sometimes I would then eat it the next day, but usually I didn't want it by the next day, or I forgot about it. But it did allow me to walk away from it at least for that moment. That still works for me. I still have trigger foods that actually make me start salivating when I smell or see them. So mostly I just don't eat them right now. It's easier to do without it than to eat one piece. If I could eat one piece of a trigger food, I would never have gotten so fat.
    It will get easier, I promise, once you can start stringing 2 or 3 successful days together in a row, and then a week, and then 2 weeks, and so on.
    For right now, just do it.
  • md523083
    md523083 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think there is something deeper at work here, and not 'self control'. I have the same issue. My blood sugar, insulin, anxiety, and vitamin levels were all over the place. This past week I've felt IMMENSELY better because I'm actually taking my vitamins. I'm also taking insulin sensitizing supplements like cinnamon, NAC, and ACV tablets. If I eat simple carbs like white pasta and bread (I have to... my stomach won't handle whole grains), I just double the veggies that go along with it. I think LOTS of fiber, like at least 40 grams per day, will level you out so you don't feel so out of control. It shouldn't be a painful experience. I was there, but I feel like I've finally turned it around this week by giving my body what it needs: vitamins, minerals, carbs, and fiber fiber fiber!!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You asked for us to be brutally honest, right???

Well... Stop making EXCUSES!!!

I made excuses YEARS! Still do at times. It's all mental. You have to decide within yourself to make the changes and then as Nike says Just Do It!!!!

I really don't care if you mess up & have pizza for lunch, you can still make good choices the rest of the day! You are sabotaging yourself. Again: stop making EXCUSES! :drinker:
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope you are done giving up for the day and saying you'll get back on it tomorrow. Guess what...tomorrow isn't a sure thing for any of us. Givin' you some tough love, girl, but if you mess up you face it straight on and tell it who's boss. Like another poster said, it's as much a mind-set change as it is a physical change.

You ate 5 oatmeal cookies? Own it and do the right thing. Go outside and walk for 10, 20, 30 minutes. None of of this "tomorrow" business. If you keep pinning your weight loss hopes on tomorrow and whining about your failures today, you'll never get your sexy back. Okay off my soap box. You said you wanted to hear it like it is.

You've done this before. Kick it into gear...now :drinker: