Potatos!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Ok so I eat a lot fo potatos maybe 3 to 4 times a week. especially lately since I am trying to lose weight. but I have been reading that they are bad for you and cause weight gain? is this true? I mean i literally wash them and cut them into french frie shapes put them in the oven with no oils and bake them then eat them like baked french fries.

but now I am worried it is hindering my diet or bad for me?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not bad. No food is bad, barring allergies. If they fit into your caloric count then eat them.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Other than being high In carbs they are fine, and I work them into my macro allowance for the day. I eat potatoes at least 4 or 5 times a week, usually in the form of home made chips and still lose weight (I stay under on calories)
  • science24
    science24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What about the starch? I don't have no diabetic issues but the starch thing is where I am reading its bad.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    How are you making oven fries without oils??
    The oil helps them crisp up and not stick to the pan...
  • ldonahue74
    ldonahue74 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i stayed away from potatoes for a long time. mostly because i dont like them. but i've added them into my diet, cooked exactly how you do it, because i can tolerate them that way. i'm not a fan of oils, so i also leave it off, as well. i read that the studies that claim potatoes cause weight gain also included deep fried french fries and potato chips as "potatoes". they're full of vitamins b6, and c. and have a good amount of potassium (which is helpful in keeping blood pressure under control, this is why i started working towards having potatoes in my diet, even though i'm not fond of them). also, if you're leaving the skin on, that's a good source of fiber. i think, as long as you have the calories for them, then eat them :-)
  • science24
    Options
    lol they do stick to the pan well some of them do but some of them don't. i do it that way because I don't want them to be loaded with anything I have to add to my diary lol
  • ldonahue74
    ldonahue74 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    you just have to flip them more often without oil. and mine arent "crunchy", but they arent soggy either. soggy fries taste like potatoes *shudders* lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    lol they do stick to the pan well some of them do but some of them don't. i do it that way because I don't want them to be loaded with anything I have to add to my diary lol

Fat is essential.
    Olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed, etc are good in moderation.
  • science24
    Options
    Ahhh I am going to try to flip them more then. it is weird because sometimes 1 or 2 will stick. other times 5 or 10 will stick lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    i stayed away from potatoes for a long time. mostly because i dont like them. but i've added them into my diet, cooked exactly how you do it, because i can tolerate them that way. i'm not a fan of oils, so i also leave it off, as well. i read that the studies that claim potatoes cause weight gain also included deep fried french fries and potato chips as "potatoes". they're full of vitamins b6, and c. and have a good amount of potassium (which is helpful in keeping blood pressure under control, this is why i started working towards having potatoes in my diet, even though i'm not fond of them). also, if you're leaving the skin on, that's a good source of fiber. i think, as long as you have the calories for them, then eat them :-)

There are other sources of potassium out there.
    If you don't like potatoes, don't eat them. Regardless if some faceless someone told you they're good for you or not. Life's better eating the foods you enjoy.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    They cause me no issues. I'm going to switch to sweet potatoes after I use the regular ones up this week, though. Because sweet potatoes have vitamin A and nothing else I like seems to contain it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Lost over 300 lbs. eating potatoes several times a week, so I am going to say No they don't cause weight gain, no more so than any other food that would put you in a calorie surplus would cause you to gain weight..... Best of Luck
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    They cause me no issues. I'm going to switch to sweet potatoes after I use the regular ones up this week, though. Because sweet potatoes have vitamin A and nothing else I like seems to contain it.

If you make fries with em, use coconut oil. Tastes way better than with olive oil
  • Meerataila
    Options

If you make fries with em, use coconut oil. Tastes way better than with olive oil

Thanks! When I'm in the mood for frying anything that is definitely what I use. I read it's safer to cook with anyway because it requires a higher temperature to produce something or other that is harmful that you get from cooked oil. I'm too lazy to look it up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    potatoes are great. when i was coming up a baked potato was considered a superfood. the only real question is: wHaT dO yoU USe to SEAZon ThEM wiTH?
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Sweet pertaterz?
  • Meerataila
    Options
    potatoes are great. when i was coming up a baked potato was considered a superfood. the only real question is: wHaT dO yoU USe to SEAZon ThEM wiTH?

Chipotle chili powder, turmeric, salt, garlic, and cayenne, of course!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    We eat potatoes 3-4 nights a week as well. I either bake, boil, mash or occasionally fry them. My favorite is baked "fries" tossed with a tbsp of oil, tsp garlic powder, bit of salt, tsp onion powder, tbsp of mrs dash, pepper and a bit of dried basil. They are delicious!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat potato almost every evening as part of my main meal.
    Does not seem to have done me any harm.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes and eat them quite often, usually roasted with some olive oil and salt. Good with some dill and Fage no fat yogurt in place of sour cream too. (Sweet potatoes are also good.). I see no reason why they would be bad for weight loss and they haven't been for me.