Question on lifting weights

Options
I started lifting 50 pound (the lowest weight said the machine has) to work my triceps and they are on fire or so it feels. This is only day 2. It was a little soar today but not uncomfortable. I know my arms are not going to heal in a day so do I skip a day between lifts? I try to go to the gym 5 days a week so that's 3 days of lifting. Or just rest on my days I'm not going.

I suck at the terminology so I lift 5 times in a row, count to ten and do it again 4 more times. So I guess that's 5 reps and 5 sets or what whatever it's called

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    always take a day off between working the same muscle group

reps (repititions) the number of times you do a certain exercise before taking a rest.
    sets = the number of times you do the exercise + rest.

so 5*5 = 5 sets of 5 reps
    3*8 = 3 sets of 8 reps, etc

also i'm just being nosey here, why are you counting to 10?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    in the beginning you might need a few days.
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options

reps (repititions) the number of times you do a certain exercise before taking a rest.

It just hurts is all. I can do four just fine but that 5th one it really starts to kick in. So I break for a second or 10 in this case and go again.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

It just hurts is all. I can do four just fine but that 5th one it really starts to kick in. So I break for a second or 10 in this case and go again.

ahh ok, i thought you meant you hold it's rep for 10 seconds.

but yeah that's fine. proudly enjoy your t-rex arms tomorrow :laugh:
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to be really sore after your first few resistance training sessions - especially when they have you starting out on a such a relatively high weight for a beginning lifter.

Although routines can vary widely for weight lifting, starting out with a routine in which you lift 3 days a week and take a day off between each is a good place to start. I would probably recommend doing cardio (s on those 2 days in between.

I know there are some excellent resources for women who are beginning to do resistance training, and I'm sure one of the other commenters will be happy to provide links to some of them. It sounds like one or more of them would be useful to you.

Happy lifting!
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to be really sore after your first few resistance training sessions - especially when they have you starting out on a such a relatively high weight for a beginning lifter.

Although routines can vary widely for weight lifting, starting out with a routine in which you lift 3 days a week and take a day off between each is a good place to start. I would probably recommend doing cardio (s on those 2 days in between.

I know there are some excellent resources for women who are beginning to do resistance training, and I'm sure one of the other commenters will be happy to provide links to some of them. It sounds like one or more of them would be useful to you.

Happy lifting!

I o cardio before the workout. 1/2 mile marathon training on the treadmill then elliptical for 15 minutes. Finally I finish of with weights. I'm all for cardio, didn't want to even do weights until I lost 30 pounds and now that time has come :(
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

Happy lifting!

I o cardio before the workout. 1/2 mile marathon training on the treadmill then elliptical for 15 minutes. Finally I finish of with weights. I'm all for cardio, didn't want to even do weights until I lost 30 pounds and now that time has come :(

wow you must be working out for like 2-3 hours then
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options

Happy lifting!

wow you must be working out for like 2-3 hours then

No it's the 1/2 mile marathon trainer app by fitkit it starts you off 1 minute running 90 seconds walking, totals 25 minutes. Then the elliptical so about 43 minutes including the time it takes me to do weights. I have 2 jobs now so been doing the 1/2 marathon trainer for only 15 minutes. If I ever complete it yes, it will total 60 minutes by week 9 of training but that's far off and I will never have the time at this rate.