Cheesecake Factory, Anyone?

Options
It's my birthday next Tuesday, and my hubby asked me where I wanted to go. I decided on Cheesecake Factory. Now, before you all condemn me for that choice, lemme tell you why I chose it. My favorite dessert of all is chocolate cheesecake. Now instead of having a big ol cheesecake made and brought home or sitting on my counter all week, I figured I could go there, and eat a sensible dinner, and then share a piece of cheesecake w/ my hubby and not bring leftovers home, where I would be further tempted.
Keep in mind I have lost 113 lbs so far, and have eaten at the cheesecake factory twice during this process. It's just all about choices.
My issue is that I don't wanna eat lettuce for my birthday dinner, but I feel like the "healthy" option salad is the only thing that will let me enjoy my birthday cheesecake within my exercise calorie limits.

Ugh, and I struggle w/ this because I am OBSESSED (in a healthy way) with calorie counting and what goes past my lips.
I found a decent site that has calorie counts for CKF, b/c the actual restaurant site doesn't have anything listed.
Can I justify that it's my birthday, so it's ok to have half a entree that is 1150 cals, with a part of a cheesecake that has 800 cals? Is it worth it, just because it's my birthday? I need to make a plan and stick with it. So. this is where I'm reaching out asking you what you would do.... hey thanks friends, I appreciate any feedback you can give. Maybe it will help me decide what I'm going to do. ;o)

Replies

• loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you exercise and eat sensibly during the rest of the day you can indulge. It's also one day and that won't ruin too much. Keep the rest of that week sensible and be active!
  • Mission4Life
    Options
    Could you eat half of it on the day you go and save the rest for the next day? That way you enjoy all of it but split the difference and spread it out. I may be able to find time and come down to eat the other half if that helps.:wink:
  • Brittany_Kayy
    Brittany_Kayy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I say if you workout, go for it.

Don't go in there saying " Imma' eat everything in site", but have yourself a wonderful dinner and some cheesecake!

On my birthday I wanted drinks. blah and the kind I like are loaded with calories. I had one big one and a good dinner, but I made sure that morning I worked out.

&& 113 lbs lost, sweeite you deserve this! Enjoy your day :)
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's all about portion control! ...and it it IS your birthday!....so why don't you eat low calorie/filling things during the day so you have more calories at night, and then share a dish and dessert with hubbie ? You'll be having a nice dinner, you will be having your favorite dessert and you won't be eating an excesive amount of calories... If you could go for a walk or excercise for 30 minutes you'll have some extra so you won't need to worry too much!

You have already lost a lot so you know how to keep it under control! Happy birthday in advance1
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's your birthday and you know what your game plan is :) ...I don't think I could ever 'share' a cheesecake with my Husband or anyone LOL...But awesome idea...Happy soon to be Birthday - you deserve this :):flowerforyou:
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    their portions are huge so I don't see you having a problem with only eating half of an entree and half (or less) of a slice of cheesecake. if i were you, i'd eat super clean and low calorie for all of my other meals and snacks that day.
    eating like that once in a blue moon can actually help your metabolism (confuses it and revs it up) so once a year on your birthday, don't even sweat it!! just be smart and watch your portions!! what is all of this hard work and calorie counting for if you can never just enjoy yourself? it only becomes a problem if you are constantly finding special occasion excuses. once every 6 months on a special day... let loose girl!! and happy birthday :)
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    I would you have earned it. What I would suggest, is maybe you and your hubby can share an actual meal and still share the cheese cake. That way the calories in the meal, he helps you eat and you don't eat all 1150! But indulging for your b-day is a treat and you will never get that b-day back!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday, it's one day: you'll be fine. If you want to know that you'll be consuming around 1500 calories with an entree and splitting a dessert and you're not comfortable with that, then work out extra hard that morning.

One day will not derail your complete success.

HAVE FUN. Happy Birthday!! And congrats on your loss!
  • getNskinny2day
    Options
    First off, congrats on the weight loss! You have done excellent up to this point.

Personally, I love salads because they are healthy and filling to me.. But I do understand what you mean about not wanting one for your bday dinner. If you like fish I would go with one of their grilled fish entrees (the grilled salmon is great), and make sure your sides aren't rich mashed potatoes(try to sub for a baked potato if possible) or buttery sauteed veggies (try to sub for fresh steamed greens). If you have your heart set on a super unhealthy entree then eat half of it, don't take home the leftovers, and add an extra workout either the day of your bday, the day after, or both. :)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    It's you birthday enjoy. Eat the cheesecake, like you said your splitting with your husband. One day isn't going ruin everything.

Happy Birthday by the way!!!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! I know it would be extra driving... but what if you went somewhere else for dinner... Cheesecake factory is known to be pretty caloric, and then to cheesecake factory for dessert?
  • summadmak
    Options
    Well Happy Early Birthday!!!

Like everyone else has said, it is your birthday, you have had a tremendous weight loss already.
    Order the entree, and the cheesecake. You don't have to eat the entire entree, and like you said, you are splitting the cheesecake with your hubby.

Just go & enjoy a wonderful evening with your hubby!!!!
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think you have tons of options at the Cheesecake Factory that are not half bad. So are you going to condemn yourself if you get your birthday cheesecake slice? If so, then don't. But if you are going to enjoy your taste, share it with your husband, and not take it home, I don't see where you should have a problem. If you like sushi, they have awesome seared tuna. You can get some edamame, steamed shrimp.

Okay I need to stop because this is one of my favorite restaurants and now I want to go.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I went out on my birthday last December and decided I was going to enjoy! It was my 40th so it was special. I had appetizer, bread, meal, dessert and I didn't worry one bit. It was more than a thousand calories and I didn't gain any weight at all. Once in a while is okay. I think your metabolism like the shock, too.

Enjoy your birthday! We only get one per year!

Haven't eaten there but I have a gift card that will be used soon. I heard about the portions - probably why they won't post the nutritional content.

But remember that sodium causes water retention. Don't weigh yourself the next morning.
  • Kendra7107
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on losing 113 pounds. That is awesome!!

I say go to the restaurant, enjoy a great meal and don't feel gulity! Since you are doing so well, this one meal will not cause you to backslide, and I think that's what most of us worry about. I know I do. However, based on your comments and the amount of weight you have lost, you can stop at that one meal. Go for it!!

Also, keep in mind that we all want to eat healthy but moderation is the key. We shouldn't have to go through life without ever treating ourselves from time to time. That isn't realistic and I think a great meal for special occassions keeps us motivated!!

You are doing great!!!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's your birthday and you know what your game plan is :) ...I don't think I could ever 'share' a cheesecake with my Husband or anyone LOL...But awesome idea...Happy soon to be Birthday - you deserve this :):flowerforyou:

Haha! That made me laugh out loud! I don't think I'm capable of that kind of generosity! :laugh:

I say, go for it! You have come SO far, and part of being successful overall is allowing yourself to "indulge" once in awhile: in a controlled and reasonable way, which is exactly what you are proposing. Go,enjoy your day, enjoy your cheesecake! Happy birthday! :)
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For those of you that don't know the nutritional information of the cheesecake factory, this is a good site as well:
    http://calorielab.com/news/2007/07/28/calorie-pusher-comes-to-town-the-cheesecake-factory-hits-rochester/

In regards to your question, the key here is sensible. I'm not going to condemn anyone's meal choices on here because I feel that you should enjoy what you are putting in your mouth. So that being said, if you want to treat yourself to the Cheesecake Factory on your birthday, I'd say go out and do it, but be very careful. You can easily eat a week's worth of calories there and not even realize it.

Other than the cheesecakes, I never realized just how bad their food was, both in calories and in sodium content because to this day, they still keep if fairly secretive from their patrons (hence why you couldn't find anything on their website). When they made the list of the 40 worst foods in America, I decided to look them up. Considering that over 5 of their meals have close to 3,000 calories and many others are over 1,500, I can see why they made that list.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep the rest of your day full of low cal filling options (lots of veggies, fiber, protein) so that maybe you won't be as hungry when you go and therefore not want to eat as much but also keeping your cals low for the rest of the day. Also try to get a good workout in that day or at least several times that week and eat really well the rest of the week. Then you can splurge on your b-day and enjoy it instead of feeling guilty about it. I think sharing with your hubby is a great idea...I would do that with mine but we don't like the same kind of cheese cake and he doesn't have to worry about his weight so he probably wouldn't share his meal with me either - lol! You have done an amazing job and obviously know what you're doing so enjoy your birthday and if the scale were to go up just a bit don't worry...you've got this figured out and know what to do to get it back down. It's just one day, one meal...enjoy yourself!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    One day is not a diet killer. Nor will you gain 10 pounds from eating there. Their serving sizes are huge so it's easy to split entrees. Then enjoy your cheesecake. You can always shave some calories off days surrounding your birthday to kind of "bank" some calories for the big day.

Also, I dont know if this is the site you use or not but here's a LOT of cheesecake factory nutrition. http://calorielab.com/news/2007/07/28/calorie-pusher-comes-to-town-the-cheesecake-factory-hits-rochester/

See, if you are looking for info on a chain restaurant that has franchises in New York, well, New York requires them to have nutrition information so you just have to search for the information coming out of New York :wink:
  • camsamdad
    camsamdad Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    good job and go for it but instead of dinner for your birthday have him take you during lunch.
    this way you can have a great time and still get in a good work out later that day after you eat