Something to track total calories burned?

Options
Hello. I have been looking at the Polar series (FT-60/80 specifically) to track calories burned during exercise. I WAS under the impression that it was something that could be worn all day to track how many calories you burn just sitting watching TV per se (I guess that would just be breathing and in my case, fidgeting). None the less, i learned this is not the case.

Then i read something about fitbit. Sounds more up my alley, but I dont think i can use it to track calories burned during my weight lifting routines (or can i?).

Is there an all in one tool that i can do. I would even prefer to wear it sleeping to monitor roughly how many calories are burned off during sleep. My whole goal is to try to get an idea or average of how many calories are burned in a 24 hour period of my daily routine, and thus, create my diet around that (calories in vs. calories out).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Google body media or bodybugg. You wear it except while bathing and it will give detailed information on calories burned. The only downside is a subscription is required. I've rented one form my gym before and got just about all the data I needed after two weeks.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have both a heart rate monitor (a Timex, though, not a Polar) and a Fitbit. The Fitbit is new, so I don't have *a lot* of experience with it. So far, it seems pretty good for non-exercise calorie burn estimates (walking, sitting, etc.), but it is NOT good for estimating calories during my weightlifting workouts, especially for things like planks, overhead lifts, lat pulls, etc. that don't involve much movement of my core - if the Fitbit is sitting still, it assumes that I am sitting still.

The heart rate monitor, on the other hand, is excellent (in my opinion) for workout calories, because it's measuring my heart rate - regardless of motion - and it's calibrated to my body stats and fitness level. It really stinks at measuring calorie burns at rest, though, when my heart rate is not elevated (and it would be extremely uncomfortable to wear the chest strap all day every day). Bottom line, each of these devices has its use, but one is clearly better for exercise (HRM) and the other is clearly better for resting calorie burn (Fitbit).

Though I have zero experience with it, you might want to look into something more like a BodyMedia FIT - looks like it's designed to do something more like what you want. Maybe others can recommend that or something similar?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I would say mayb a body fit media or body bugg.
    You CAN wear a heart rate monitor during weight lifting, but the burn isn't going to the accurate. It requires more info than ur actual heart rate. HRMs are only good for cardio.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Blunt truth? Nothing... Although there is a lot of science behind what calorie expendatures are. Although science is getting closer, there's no sure fire way to measure.

I do use a HRM as an approximating for workout calories. That's about it...

This may come across harsh, but, I want to preface it with: I don't know your situation so, you may not be able to do much more activity than you have described. That being said, if you are trying to track the calories your burn just going through your day, I wouldn't waste any money. Instead, try this... It'll give you an idea of what your BMR is and what your calorie intake goal each day.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Then

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

This will give you some idea of your basic calorie intake goal.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The scale is a remarkably accurate device for this task.

Weight Change*3500 = Calories In - Calories Out

Solve for calories out.
  • magic9669
    magic9669 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for the reply. While I understand nothing will be 100% accurate, i'd like to get an idea at best. I have started working out for the past 5 years non stop and completely revamped my diet 2 years ago. I have read a lot of information within this time and while I know what my (albeit, supposed), BMI is, my TDEE and what not, I deduct 10-20% of my cals from that TDEE to arrive at a total cal consumption to get more lean.

Let me give a brief example. My TDEE is 2700 (and change) so I eat around 2200 cals to lean up. My normal daily activities havent changed. 2 weeks later, i'm still the same weight. I weigh every piece of food I eat and I know exactly how many calories i'm taking in via this site. (again, I understand all estimates but at least its close). 2 more weeks, nothing. I have now been eating around 1900 calories and losing that 1 lb a week, the sweet spot. I re-weigh myself after a month and adjust accordingly. Doing so, I have lost 9 lbs in 8 weeks and certainly got more lean. Most of those 9 lbs have been fat, or at least the mirror says.

None the less the point of this is that I dont trust those calculators much. I cannot stress the fact that I completely understand this is all estimates and even these HRM and fitbit devices are as well but with a device I can come to a more realistic TDEE, or at least I figure :)

Thank you.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit for day to day activities, and still use my Polar FT4 for any activities that will get my HR above 120.

Using my Fitbit has actually shown me that I had overestimated my TDEE and had been eating at maintenance level.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a bodybugg, and I really love it. It comes with a free trial period, and it's really long (a year? nine months? not sure). I've been using it for quite awhile and haven't paid for the subscription yet, and I'm actually at the point where I feel like I can stop wearing it because I feel like I'm getting myself under control.

While it's really interesting to see how many calories you burned throughout the day and all that, it really doesn't benefit you much to know that. If you want to save money, get a good pedometer and track your steps.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a Bodybugg (KiFit if you're in the UK, same product, different name.)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Nike fuelband.

but i believe only the fitbit will monitor sleeping as an 'activity' as such.n just bear in mind that fit bits, nike fuel bands are in no way meant to be an 'alternative' to a HRM...the products are engineered to do different things.
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump
  • ScubyUK
    Options
    Nike fuelband.

but i believe only the fitbit will monitor sleeping as an 'activity' as such.n just bear in mind that fit bits, nike fuel bands are in no way meant to be an 'alternative' to a HRM...the products are engineered to do different things.

A BodyBugg\KiFit will also monitor sleeping as an activity. Again, they are not an alternative to an HRM.
  • magic9669
    Options
    I have a bodybugg, and I really love it. It comes with a free trial period, and it's really long (a year? nine months? not sure). I've been using it for quite awhile and haven't paid for the subscription yet, and I'm actually at the point where I feel like I can stop wearing it because I feel like I'm getting myself under control.

While it's really interesting to see how many calories you burned throughout the day and all that, it really doesn't benefit you much to know that. If you want to save money, get a good pedometer and track your steps.

Just curious why you say its not beneficial to know how many calories are burned throughout the day? Also, does the bodybugg count calories burned during vigorous exercises like weightlifting and HIIT?
  • magic9669
    Options
    Nike fuelband.

A BodyBugg\KiFit will also monitor sleeping as an activity. Again, they are not an alternative to an HRM.

Thanks for the reply. I just asked another member, does the bodybugg count calories burned during a weight lifting session or something along the lines of HIIT/cardio?
  • drzawada
    drzawada Posts: 16
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ScubyUK
    Options
    Nike fuelband.

Thanks for the reply. I just asked another member, does the bodybugg count calories burned during a weight lifting session or something along the lines of HIIT/cardio?

Simple answer, yup. It does.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Just curious why you say its not beneficial to know how many calories are burned throughout the day? Also, does the bodybugg count calories burned during vigorous exercises like weightlifting and HIIT?

It counts calories through out the entire day. If you do mostly the same activities everyday, then your calorie burn is going to be about the same. I don't need to pay to have something tell me I burn about 2600 calories each and every day...
  • Destynee13
    Destynee13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
    That is the whole point of his question though. To know what he is burning throughout the day to get a pretty accurate reading as to what his caloric goal should be to lose x amount of weight per week. I to would like to know what I burn throughout the day for the same exact reason. Any new products out there that are known to be pretty accurate for this?
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and FitBit and find that both FitBit and MFP typically under estimate my TDEE.

The most accurate tool to use is your scale. If you keep accurate numbers of calories in then you can figure out calories out. I calculate my TDEE using 14, 21 and 28 day averages.

average TDEE for period = (total calories in during period + (weight lost over period * 3500)) / days in period

Yes it does fluctuate because weight loss is not totally steady, but if you keep a running set of numbers you can get a good idea of your TDEE.