when things get busy..

iamkelskels
iamkelskels Posts: 81
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
How does everyone stay focused and actually REMEMBER that they're doing this? This may sound really dumb, but during the day when I'm jumbling going to class, making sure all my assignments are done, dealing with other responsibilities, making sure I'm on time, I'm just happy to get FOOD, so I honestly forget that I'm supposed to be eating healthier, because I just look for the tastiest option I have. And then when it does cross my mind, it's like the thought doesn't even really sink in before my mind goes to the next thing I have to do... does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal?

Replies

• Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    a busy day is a hard thing to do. You need to plan ahead and be smart! In the morning you need to plan your food out. Grab your leancousin tv dinner and bring it to work, or toss a salad together, bring fruit to snack on. Write it on your hand if you must but do do plan ahead for the day. EAt only food you planned out to eat and it will really help you.
  • Personally, I have a bit of an obsessive personality. That sounds kind of weird, but I just mean that once I want to do something, it occupies a lot of my time and a lot of my thoughts! When I wake up in the morning, I weigh myself right away and then I start my day with that mindset. I make a healthy breakfast and figure out what time I can fit in at least an hour at the gym and plan everything else around that. I also planned my class schedule this year to allow me with a lot of free time during the day, so that really helps too!

If you have a hard time eating healthy when you're busy, wake up 15 or 20 minutes early and pack a healthy lunch for the day! If you're going somewhere where you'll be tempted to get fast food, don't bring money with you! It might also help to plan your meals the night before.

I also keep two pictures of myself when I was at my goal weight in my purse! It might sound a little weird, but they're in there to keep me motivated!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    I know how you feel. I have a 7 day work week this week, it's that ToM and I have about 5 million other things on my mind that I need to get done.

I've been getting up a half hour earlier this week and planning what I'm going to eat for the whole day. I take food to work with me from home and eliminate food from work or from the McDonald's next door as an option. Not that I would want to eat McDonald's anyways. :sick:
  • I LOVE my electronic gadgets and gizmos. Having the mobile form of this on my ipod touch is what really helped me. I was able to take it with me and make decisions based on what food was in front of me. I have it with me at all times and when I see food I immediately think IPOD! If you're on a meal plan at school it's really hard to plan ahead, so you'll just have to look at the food and calculate as you go. It does eventually become second nature. Nothing happens overnight.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    I LOVE my electronic gadgets and gizmos. Having the mobile form of this on my ipod touch is what really helped me. I was able to take it with me and make decisions based on what food was in front of me. I have it with me at all times and when I see food I immediately think IPOD! If you're on a meal plan at school it's really hard to plan ahead, so you'll just have to look at the food and calculate as you go. It does eventually become second nature. Nothing happens overnight.

This has really helped me as well - I keep my iPod Touch in my purse at all times.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    I have the opposite issue kind of. When I get busy I forget to eat. I always have breakfast that is for sure but somehow during the day between 11-4 I am sometimes just too busy to eat. I could stop for fast food but then I know it will push me over the edge so instead I opt to wait. When I get home at night I am messed right up because I am starving! I am trying to fix it and take small easy, healthy snacks with me just to fill that void. When night rolls around I have all these extra calories left and find that is when I make my worst choices. Ohh 300 calories left I can have a whole chocolate bar....when I should be having a salad or fruit instead.

Either way it is a work in progress I guess.
  • All depends on what your motivation is ????
    Is it just a quick diet or is it a life style change?
    If a lifestyle change than you'll purposely be planning ahead like some of the others have said.
    Make up a chart of your weekly classes and their times. Then where the times are tight, (between classes have a food bars ready to eat or pre made snacks - that you can eat while heading to the next class), you can do it!!!:happy:
    Be just as discipline to yourself as you are to your education or your work.

Remember don't be to hard on yourself...Do the best you can - you can make it!!!!

With out good health you can't do want you want to do!
  • Thanks everyone!
    I just downloaded the MFP app to my phone, plus i FINALLY worked out last night for the first time in two weeks, so I think I'm back in the mindset.
    All those ideas-- like packing my lunch, planning my food-- I can't really do because of my dorm room living, and lack of money, so I'm just kinda flying by the seat of my pants whenever I find food somewhere, but now that I have the MFP app I think I'll do a lot better.

Good luck to everyone else :)
  • laceygirl2318
    laceygirl2318 Posts: 12 Member
    When I get busy, I have more of a problem finding time to exercise than eating right. I am like others here, a bit obsessive about the calories and food....my husband asked me last night, "Ummm, honey....are you going to be this nutty about calories forever?" Hahahaha....anyway, having my android phone with me helps. I won't eat anything until I've logged the calories on MFP, no matter where I am. It definitely helps to plan ahead if you can....I usually plan out my day in the mornings, or on the weekends, sometimes the night before. If you don't stay in that mindset, and don't think ahead, the stress of busy days will set you up for quick, easy, and unheatlhy choices. Its good that you are aware of the problem. :-)
This discussion has been closed.