Is napping slowing my metabolism? :(

Options
Hi all, hope you're all well :)
I have twin girls who are nearly two, and my husband's been working a lot these past few weeks. As a result, I'm shattered all the time, have no energy so exercise is really hard atm, and am having 1.5-2hr naps in the day when my girls sleep. I don't sleep for the whole time, but obviously am still resting... Should also point out I have pretty bad insomnia, so sleeping more at night isn't happening :( I feel like I'm ruining my weight loss efforts by slowing my metabolism down.
I started off losing weight pretty quickly, then slowed down to a more steady rate (which I know is normal), but I keep finding myself losing nothing, and even gaining some weight back some days, for a few weeks at a time lately.
Another question for the ladies, sorry! I've had the nexplanon implant for nearly a year, and my cycle's still all over the place. I've gone from a normal cycle to 14+days of bleeding in a row, about every couple of months. Would I be carrying water weight from this, which would contribute to the plateaus?
Sorry it's a long one, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading! :) xxx

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion- If you sleep 8 hours at night and then 2 hours in the afternoon, you will burn less calories overall than if you did something else those 2 hours. But if you're up all night and chasing kids all day and sleep 2 hours in the afternoon, it's probably the best thing you can do for yourself and would not slow your metabolism.

If you're anything like me, being overtired and stressed means you eat more and probably log less accurately.

I can't help you with the other.

Good luck!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism slows down while you are sleeping but it doesn't matter when. If you sleep 8 hours straight or two sections of four hours, or 6 and 2 you still will burn the same number of calories during sleep, and the same number while awake.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If your body needs the sleep, then go for the nap. I don't think it's going to really have that big an effect on your metabolism. To help both your weight loss and your insomnia, maybe try exercising in the afternoon-early evening - even if it's putting your girls in a stroller and going for a walk. You're increasing activity, plus exercise at that time can help you sleep better at night :wink:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't think this affects your metabolism. But I would see a physician about your insomnia. I think I've read that naps longer than 30 minutes are counter-productive to getting your body able to sleep at night.
  • natalia32
    natalia32 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you need a nap, have it but please don't feel guilty about it! Tiredness leads to bad food choices and increased sugar cravings. You won't always feel like this but when the kids are small made the most of it! I used to have a 2 hours nap when my son was small, we would have the best cuddles and I would have an amazingly deep sleep. He's 10 now so ... Time flys, enjoy it.:drinker:
  • AdventureVix
    AdventureVix Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I completely nap too much, and sleep a lot at night. It definitely slows metabolism down the way I do it but for it sounds like you're catching up on well needed rest, being sleep deprived can be detrimental to weight loss too.
    I also have nexplanon implant and my cycles are crazy and have been for over 2 years. Since I've had it, my weight has yoyod so much. I find it so easy to pu weight on and harder than ever before to lose. So yes, water weight could be an issue. I drink at least 2lotres a day and it helps.
    All the best!
  • tubbytwinmummy
    tubbytwinmummy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for all the replies :) I'll carry on napping while I need it, and now don't have to feel guilty :D
    tbh, I think the nexplanon is probably a big part of it. I've been checking back over my weight loss, and the plateaus do seem to coincide with bleeds.
    Thanks again all, I'll try to stop getting so frustrated with myself! All the best :) xxx