Exercise calories

Options
I am new to maintaning and to be honest, nervous about it. I am also an endurance athlete, so for example I did a 10mile run this morning. My watch says I burned 1100cals (2 1/4hrs running). With breakfast, what I took in during the run and recovery afterwards I am at 850cals.

Here is my question: should you eat all your exercise cals? what about if I was just doing my normal day, i would be buring at least some during that time so its not really and additional 1100cals. Am I making it too complicated?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Am I making it too complicated?
    Yes!

Maintenance is hopefully going to be for a very long time so try and make it simple not complicated.
    Running is an activity where you can estimate reasonably accurately your calorie burns.

My advice would be eat them all back and make any calorie adjustments if your weight starts to drift over a long period of time.

If you want to you could compare your HRM calorie counts against online calculators but to be honest I wouldn't bother - close enough is close enough.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Have you included all the running you do in your estimated activity level to get your daily calorie goal? If so, then don't eat extra.

If not, then eat them. I burned 1151kcals running today and I plan to eat them all. In fact, I've made a pretty good start already. Mmm, cake. :smile:

ETA: I've been doing this and maintaining my weight at 116lb for ages.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you. i am very new to maintenance and trying to figure it all out. i did a really long bike ride last week on Monday. I wasn't hungry that day but on Tuesday I could have eaten my arm!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm an endurance athlete as well and trying to maintain. I find it really hard, because my activity varies from day to day. My long run this week was 18 miles and my short run was 6 miles. Today I did 7 miles and yesterday 10 miles. Then I have two "rest" days a week from running, where they are always work days ( I do 5000 to 8000 steps at work ), I take long walks, and/or do light activities at the gym. On rest days I typically eat 1800-2099 depending on my step values and exercises etc etc. On my long running days I know I need much more.

I usually eat most of my exercise calories back. At least with my running calories. I don't really eat back my walking calories. I have MFP set as "lightly active" and add in any exercises. I add in my running calories, any additional walking outside of work or above 5000 steps, and any exercises if I decide to go to the gym. I also think our running calorie burns are better estimates than say going on the ellpitical at the gym.

How is your MFP set up as? If you have it set to "sedentary" or "lightly active", then you should eat the calories back, or the vast majority of them. If you are set to "active" or "very active" then probably not.

Also: I struggle with something, too. I have been wondering if I should eat a flat calorie rate 7 days, or eat according to activity. So far, I've been eating according to activity. An example: 2500 on a long run day, and then 1900 on a rest day, or 2100 on a moderate day ( like a 7 to 10 mile run ).

I know sometimes on rest days or on days my runs are shorter I notice my appetite is just as bad!

Hope I helped a little!! In short, I'd eat back your exercise calories.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Have you included all the running you do in your estimated activity level to get your daily calorie goal? If so, then don't eat extra.

If not, then eat them. I burned 1151kcals running today and I plan to eat them all. In fact, I've made a pretty good start already. Mmm, cake. :smile:

ETA: I've been doing this and maintaining my weight at 116lb for ages.

I burn almost 1300 calories when I do my long runs ( 16+ miles ), but I'm very small. I know for my 16+ mile run this week, I am having red velvet ice cream!! :) I know EXACTLY what you mean.
  • ronitperman
    Options
    When it comes to maintaining weight and fit body it is very important to take record of you calories. Regular exercise is very important and it gives you very good results with regular exercise it is also very important to eat proper amount of calories because it keep your metabolism fit and help you to become fit.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would eat them all, yes. No fear!