Question About Total Daily Calories

Options
Hi, I just started using my myfitnesspal account, and I'm really enjoying it. I am just a slight bit confused about the total net calories. After I put in exercise, my calorie limit goes down to account for the ones I burned. Should I try to eat more on these days to make up for the deficit, or should my goal be to just eat my 1500 a day and exercise on top to burn more off? I would really appreciate advice from someone who has tried it both ways and figured out what works best.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you're supposed to hit the goal calories, which increase as you exercise. This is called "eating back" your exercise calories, or perhaps running on a treadmill to get more food like a lab rat.

Some people eat them all, others think half is best as the calorie burn may be over-estimated, others take advantage of the extra deficit when they exercise.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Note that if you use the mfp database for your exercise calories (rather than a personal heart rate monitor or something like that), the number of calories burnt is usually OVERestimated. So you may want to eat only half of those calories back.