Running Question

Options
Hello, all. I hope you can provide me with some perspective to this problem I am having.

I have been running for a couple of months now, using the c25k app, repeating some weeks when necessary. About a month ago, I finally managed to run 2.5-ish miles without stopping at all and I did that for quite a few times.

However, since last Monday, I have not been able to run past 1.5 miles. It's like I am out of breath and really tired. Feels more as if I am a complete novice to running rather than I have been running for some months.

At first I thought maybe it's just a bad day but this has been going on for 4 runs.

Has anyone experienced this before? Care to share how you overcome it? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What dd your paces for the 2.5 miles look like when compared to the runs you are struggling with now?
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Have you increased your speed at all? Changed your diet significantly? I would suggest slowing down a little. I've hit points like that since I've started running. I'll have a great run, then for a few days or even a couple weeks, will just feel like I'm just dragging. I've noticed if I let my body rest a little, slow down a little, that seems to help.
  • witsend79
    witsend79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a mental block now. You're totally capable of running that distance, don't let your brain talk you out of it.

Set out slower, pick a route you like and keep reminding yourself that you can do it. There is absolutely no reason for stopping until the end, you've just got to remind your brain of that!
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    The paces are relatively similar. I am a slow runner and when I was doing 2.5/.75 I was at around 11.30 (average) per mile. Today's 13.03/mile, last Friday's 12.22.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    The paces are relatively similar. I am a slow runner and when I was doing 2.5/.75 I was at around 11.30 (average) per mile. Today's 13.03/mile, last Friday's 12.22.

Are you running on a treadmill? If so, go outside. If you're running outside, go to a different location to run. Go to the park, go downtown, go anywhere to take your mind off your established routine. Push through and stay the course.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    Have you increased your speed at all? Changed your diet significantly? I would suggest slowing down a little. I've hit points like that since I've started running. I'll have a great run, then for a few days or even a couple weeks, will just feel like I'm just dragging. I've noticed if I let my body rest a little, slow down a little, that seems to help.

I have not made any significant changes to anything. I eat enough, around 1800 calls and that's considering I am pretty sedentary outside of my workouts.

I was willing to write it off when it was just a couple of days but now it's been a week. It's a little disheartening. But a relieve to hear that you've experienced something similar. Thank you for sharing.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have days like this almost weekly. My run last Thursday was like that. I just pushed through it but I know my problem is that I am trying to increase my speed so I am getting more tired more quickly. Slow your pace down a little and see if that helps.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a mental block now. You're totally capable of running that distance, don't let your brain talk you out of it.

Set out slower, pick a route you like and keep reminding yourself that you can do it. There is absolutely no reason for stopping until the end, you've just got to remind your brain of that!

At first I thought I've the mental block but then I realised that I am actually really excited to run each time. Right until I hit that wall.
  • runningforicecream
    Options

Are you running on a treadmill? If so, go outside. If you're running outside, go to a different location to run. Go to the park, go downtown, go anywhere to take your mind off your established routine. Push through and stay the course.

On a treadmill right now. Running outside is not very feasible at the moment due to the temperature and safety but I will be back to running outside next month.

Nevertheless, thanks for the perspectives.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Did you drink more than usual either coffee or alcohol? I've noticed that if I run after either I get that happening. Maybe not having enough water?
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Could also be the weather? I know when it's humid out I have a much harder time keeping my breath. If it's humid out where you are maybe try an earlier run? Air quality plays a big part.
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It may be the heat. What are the temperatures like? The dew point is a good indicator to look at during your run. The higher it is the harder it is to cool your body through evaporation. Also make sure you stay hydrated before, during and after. Bring water with you on your runs and take a drink every half mile or so. Stick with it and you break through new barriers.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

On a treadmill right now. Running outside is not very feasible at the moment due to the temperature and safety but I will be back to running outside next month.

The friends of mine who are Brits would disagree with that I'm sure. I'm pretty sure if I was mentally latched onto a treadmill I would want to quit after a mile too. The weather is never going to be perfect when you want to run, and you are safer out there than you think.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    I have days like this almost weekly. My run last Thursday was like that. I just pushed through it but I know my problem is that I am trying to increase my speed so I am getting more tired more quickly. Slow your pace down a little and see if that helps.

My worry is that it's four bad runs consecutively. I've experienced the interspersed bad days and know that they are quite normal. And also, I am actually at a really slow pace in that I walk faster than I run.
    Did you drink more than usual either coffee or alcohol? I've noticed that if I run after either I get that happening. Maybe not having enough water?

Nope, I don't drink. As for coffee, I have not had any for a couple of months. Also, I drink A LOT of water each day.
  • runningforicecream
    Options

The friends of mine who are Brits would disagree with that I'm sure. I'm pretty sure if I was mentally latched onto a treadmill I would want to quit after a mile too. The weather is never going to be perfect when you want to run, and you are safer out there than you think.

Not in the UK right now. Hence, only able to run outside when I return to UK in September. Not looking for excuses but I was out most day running (rain or shine) when it was feasible.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    Thanks all, for your assistance. I do appreciate it.

I hope you don't think I am being difficult and shrugging off everything you all suggested. I was just providing information so that you can have all the information you need to help me.

The point made about maybe it's the weather/temperature could be it even though it has remained relatively unchanged since I started running.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What are you doing on your off days? The day after lifting or a long bike ride, or if I went out and didn't get enough sleep, my run suffers.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing right now only I'm running outside. It's all mental I think for me. I conquered a trail I've been running for over a year last week and now I need a new challenge as running on the street/sidewalks is killing my ankles. But it seems like after that run I hit a wall at 2 miles regardless of where I run.

I like the suggestion to run outside. Or go back to week one of C25K and try 30 sec sprints for a week to change up your routine. Find a running partner. Another thing I do is start out really slow for the first few minutes. My times are very similar to yours if that helps.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think running is a bit like that- you do often have bad days and bad runs and they can go on for a while, and then suddenly it gets better- I don't have any more of an explanation for that.

Have you tried covering up the display of the treadmill so you can't see the numbers, running with music, running with the TV etc as a distraction to get past the first mile or so?

I have to say I always find the first 10 minutes tough but then you get into a rhythm with it and it does ease up.

good luck and don't give up!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Slow down a bit. a 12 min/mile is perhaps too fast for a beginner, even if you've done it once or twice. Give your body a chance to get used to the stresses of running. Speed will come over time.
    Can you speak short sentences while running? Are you gasping while speaking? If so, slow down.
    Welcome to the world of running. There's always a challenge to overcome.