I'm a fat dad...

Hello, I am a 40 year old dad of 3 boys. I have gained 40 lbs in the last 10 years and my cholesterol is way out of control. I finally realized I need to be healthy for my wife and kids. I am attempting to log my food daily. Hoping these forums will offer some accountability and support!

Dave

Replies

• meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    Hi Dave. I used to be a fat mom. I gained the weight slowly and didn't realize how it influenced my self-esteem and energy levels. My poor son had the mom who would sit and watch him play at the park, but now he has the mom that chases him and climbs on the monkey bars:)

Logging your food is a great start! I commend you on taking the first step to health. I am not sure if you want recommendations but here goes:

Remove all the junk food from your house and replace with healthy choices: us parents don't need the junk food and neitherr do our children.

Exercise: pretty obvious, right? I love the gym but some days am unable to take the time from my son to get to the gym, so he and I take long walks....he loves the time we share together on these walks

Watch your sodium levels....this was a major problem for me. I never realized how much salt I was consuming but this app helped me keep track and I am very aware now.

Water: lots of water!

Best of luck in your journey!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    You can do it! I'm trying to lower my cholesterol too. Your welcome to add me for support.
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Hi Dave, dad of 2 boys and I got tired of being out of shape. I joined in January.
    Feel free to add me
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Eat a little less
    Move a little more.
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Hi Dave,

My kids are also one of the reasons I'm here, feel free to add!

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Good luck!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Hello, I am a 40 year old dad of 3 boys. I have gained 40 lbs in the last 10 years and my cholesterol is way out of control. I finally realized I need to be healthy for my wife and kids. I am attempting to log my food daily. Hoping these forums will offer some accountability and support!

Dave

No, Dave, you're not a fat dad. You're a man who has taken the 1st step in changing the rest of your life

I'll be happy to pay it forward in the way that others have done for me...

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. What you have to do is focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with.

I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. I can help you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

If you will commit to doing the work, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. Why? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

Three months ago? I couldn't move. Saturday? I burned 2100 calories exercising. Because? I wanted to.

You got this. And your family will appreciate the choice you've made.

Fsunami
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    ^^This - What just about everyone above said.

what Fsunami said is really important:

[/quote]
    1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.
    [/quote]

I am a fat dad who is on his way to becoming a fit dad.

One thing I have to say... If you don't know about TDEE and BMR... look at some threads. Lot's of us can help.

I tried to lose weight by eating 1200-1400 cals per day a few years ago.. i just about destroyed myself and gained it all back and then some.

I am losing weight eating over 2000 calories per day - it is possible.

good luck and feel free to add me! :drinker:
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    I thought the same. My daughter got into cross country and asked me to run. I couldn't go 50 yards. She asked me to run her end of season run with her and I had to say no. It took me another 3 years for the switch to go off and say enough is enough. You can do it, it just takes time, patience and hard work. My mental state is so much better now.
  • RealtorJamie
    RealtorJamie Posts: 12 Member
    mom of 3 boys here so I know!! GL