Wanted: Started Heavy Lifting More then 50 lbs from Goal

Options

Replies

• 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I didn't go light on the weights when I first started. I did what I could handle.

As for form, I watched videos on form and researched how to do exercises safely (bad knees in my family). When I finally went to the gym, I had a trainer watch my form and correct where I was wrong. Good form is imperative but don't underestimate yourself.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    Everyone says to start now, so I did. I'm really enjoying it! I have about 50~ pounds to "normal" and ~70 to my ideal goal weight in my head.

Plus, I think that a good part about being heavier when you start is that your body is already used to carrying around a lot of excess weight so it's almost easier than waiting.
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Tricep_A_Tops_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy on day 1 of my 83 lb. weight loss journey. Lifting heavy is like finding the fountain of youth and the best thing you can do to preserve as much lean muscle as possible while eating at a deficit.

67mazk.jpg

13 months & 83 lbs later.

xp52er.jpg
  • davidoneil13
    davidoneil13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The sooner you start resistance training, the better. Many women (and men too) focus entirely on weight loss, and they end up losing a lot of lean mass along with the fat. You'll look better, and you'll have an easier time maintaining, if you can hold on to your muscle.

You don't have to worry about bulking up and getting huge if you're maintaining a calorie deficit. I wish that were a problem! I gained strength while losing weight, but at a certain point those gains became very small because it's so hard to build muscle and burn fat at the same time. The purpose of resistance training during weight loss is to maintain strength. You don't want to end up skinny but weak!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Agree, start now!!! Lifting heavy does wonderful things to your body!! :wink:
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've just started lifting again today after a 3 month (not my choice) hiatus. I'm not pushing myself to do more than I physically am able to right now, but when I got into it a while back, I could definitely feel a difference, so I agree with those who say to start early.

I'm currently 92 pounds from goal, but I'm not waiting.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you want to start do it. But I waited until I hit goal (or even under actually), and I'm glad I did. And my trainer is looking for my husband to get to at least 15%BF (or lower) before having him start lifting heavy. I think it's that your body will most efficiently build muscle in a calorie surplus. Sure, it can take from your fat stores, but not as efficiently as from food directly. So waiting to hit goal (or less) then getting to overeat to build the muscle can be better. BUT, like I said, it's fun and if you want to start sooner, go for it!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way...I started lifting AT my goal weight and size (8). I didn't intend to lose fat, weight, or get smaller. I just wanted to get stronger.

A year later, I am down 10lbs and tried on a size 2 the other day (the pants buttoned but didn't zip). I made that progress without drastically changing my diet or caloric intake. If you eat at a deficit, lift, and continue with cardio, you should be able to get good results with 50lbs left to lose.
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    great info!
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Options
    I would say that if you want to start do it. But I waited until I hit goal (or even under actually), and I'm glad I did. And my trainer is looking for my husband to get to at least 15%BF (or lower) before having him start lifting heavy. I think it's that your body will most efficiently build muscle in a calorie surplus. Sure, it can take from your fat stores, but not as efficiently as from food directly. So waiting to hit goal (or less) then getting to overeat to build the muscle can be better. BUT, like I said, it's fun and if you want to start sooner, go for it!
    people who don't lift while eating at a deficit will lose 28% more lean muscle during their weight loss on average then people who do lift thru out there weight loss. And its a lot harder to regain that lost lean muscle as a result of eating at a deficit then it is to lose body fat. Not lifting during their weight loss journey is the main reason most people are not happy with the way they look once they reach and even surpass their weight loss goal.
  • davidoneil13
    davidoneil13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    people who don't lift while eating at a deficit will lose 28% more lean muscle during their weight loss on average then people who do lift thru out there weight loss. And its a lot harder to regain that lost lean muscle as a result of eating at a deficit then it is to lose body fat. Not lifting during their weight loss journey is the main reason most people are not happy with the way they look once they reach and even surpass their weight loss goal.

This is an excellent point. Even without considering the importance of exercise for good health, weight loss alone will seldom lead to an ideal appearance. You've got to fight to hold on to lean body mass. You can gain it back later, but it's easier just to work out while dieting and keep the muscle you already have.
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Options
    Yes retaining as much LM. as possible is very important especially when eating at a deficit for such a long period of time. Its the difference between being thrilled with the way you look once you reach your goal and being very disappointed with your appearance because you look like a jellyfish.
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So jealous; I would start now if I could but I have to wait until my Doctor gives me to ok to start lifting due to healing from Surgery.
  • acaciamavro
    acaciamavro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree that lifting heavy from the beginning is the way to go, and didn't slow weight loss for me at all. Even if lifting slows your losses temporarily, it will make up for the lbs in inches instead, which is even better!
    I started off with strength training first, as soon as I started this process at the end of January (with a personal trainer, as I had no idea what I was doing - didn't even know how to do a squat! I would recommend a few training sessions to anyone in the beginning, just to make sure you know how to do the exercises with good form, and without hurting yourself. It has been invaluable to me, and I would not have pushed myself so hard without him). I was shocked to find that I actually really enjoy the weight lifting part, though, and look forward to my lifting days! I do cardio too, just to burn extra calories faster and speed the weight loss, but really attribute my new shape to the weight training.
    In the beginning I was only working with body weight exercises, and could barely do one push-up. Now, 6 months later, I can even do chin-ups, I can squat with at least 80 lbs, bench press 95, and swing a 40lb kettlebell! Back in February I wouldn't have believed I would ever be able to do even half of that. And my body has never looked or felt this good or strong. I'm down 50 lbs, at least 15% body fat (I know I was at least 50% when I started, and am down to about 34% now that I'm not too embarrassed to measure it(, and it's still going down every month, and my BMI has gone from about 38 to just under the 'obese' line, at 29.9!
    I would recommend strength training to anyone, at any weight or fitness level. Best of luck to you!

My before and current - January 30, 2014, at 242 lbs and July 24, 2014, at 194 lbs:

6months.jpg

6months_side.jpg

and a monthly timeline photo too:
    0_1_2_3_4_5_6_months_front.jpg
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy when I still had 100 lbs to lose. Even before losing any pounds, my shape started getting better and I was losing inches in all the right places. Once I was ready to get my food intake right, then the pounds started coming off and I can still maintain that nice shape and have muscles when the fat starts shrinking. Also, it did wonders for my knees and back.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I started lifting a few months after I started trying to lose weight (again). I love lifting, and it is one of the things that have sustained my will to lose weight. Unfortunately, after several vacations this summer and overall unwillingness to eat in my calorie goals, I've taken a few steps backwards, but it's been easy for me to keep getting into the gym to lift.

I did strong lifts 5x5 for a little over a year, and there is a wonderful group here that makes it easy to understand the program and a TON of information and help. I now am doing bootyful beginnings from Strong Curves, and I'll soon move on to the advanced lifting program from the same book.

Here is my progress so far (I still have another 30-40lbs that I want to lose):

August2014sidecomparison_zps8b894f95.jpg
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy (stronglifts 5x5) in May 2014 with about 50lbs to lose.

This was day 1 of lifting, 224 lbs, May 3, 2014:

x26lqo.jpg

My profile picture was taken in late June 2014 (nothing more recent), and that was 218(?)ish, currently 216lbs with ~40lbs until I'm at my goal. Even though I haven't lost a lot of scale weight between the pics, I've lost inches and two pants sizes. I'm wearing pants now that used to be tight on me when I was 20lbs lighter. Go figure.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Ummmmmmm this might just be the best thread I've ever seen......I have had all of the same questions as OP about lifting...unsure where/how to start and I also thought many of the women who lift heavy had a smaller amount of weight to lose.

I am SO. SO. SO. inspired by you all!!

:drinker: :bigsmile: :noway: :flowerforyou:
  • marykate723
    marykate723 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This thread rules. Just the inspiration I needed today!
  • tracied30
    Options
    Do lift sessions and follow up with cardio. It will make your body stay in burning mode to repair and build muscle hours after your exercise routine has stopped. Unlike cardio alone which exercise burning ceases when the cardio ceases.

For lean muscle lower weight/higher reps
    For bulk muscle higher weight/lower rep
    Cardio after for longer caloric burn.

Advice given to me by my friend Gene Labrada (school friend of many years who is also active owner and trainer in his brothers company) who is also the brother of Lee Labrada (of Labrada nutrition-former world class bodybuilder). I trust this advise and see it work everytime I hit a plateau. I add about 5-10 pounds and then do cardio and the inches melt off.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!