Are Quest Bars magic?

Options

Replies

• srl32000
    srl32000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat them almost every day. They are chewy and seem satisfying. The stats are great, especially if you net your carbs against the fiber, then they seem too good to be true.... and it is. For a while I was eating 2 or 3 a day and stopped losing weight. I'm limiting myself to one a day and sometimes add a pure protein bar or a bariwse bar and have had better results.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I eat one every day in the afternoon on the days I'm at work. I eat them for the fiber as much as for the protein.
  • cece5300
    cece5300 Posts: 48
    Options
    To be honest they don't taste that great to me. And for the calories I'd rather have 2 hard boiled eggs or some yogurt with a tablespoon of peanut butter or something. I'm not like OMG REAL FOOD but not a fan of those quest bars. Plus I have doubts that they actually contain as much fiber and protein as they say. But everyone has their likes and dislikes. I eat my fair share of crappy foods
  • rachelilly
    Options
    I don't think they taste AMAZING, but I do like them for how good the macros are and find them enjoyable. They keep me incredibly satisfied. I only tried the chocolate chip cookie dough ones after seeing people talk about them on these forums, and I'm glad I did. They're helping me a lot. They are great for the protein and fiber. I don't love the price, but I've spent a lot more money on other things to help me on this journey. For $2 a bar, when it keeps me full, satisfied, and on track to meet my goals... it's money well spent.

I just ordered direct from Quest a whole bunch of single bars to try to see which ones I'll like. It quite possibly will feel like Christmas when my order shows up!
  • divkagrrl
    Options
    I felt the need to activate an old account just to comment here :)

Quest bars legitimately helped me kick a serious sugar problem. I'm not someone who needs to watch what I eat in terms of weight gain, so it's easy to see how my sugar consumption got very out of hand. Due to a ton of stress and subsequent fatigue, I found myself binging on candy a couple times a day - by the time I actually thought about what I was doing, I realized about a quarter of the calories I was eating every day was candy. I have ALWAYS had a major sweet tooth, and when I start I can't stop.

I decided to go on a two-week sugar cleanse just to see if I could do it, and it was hell. I honestly had a hard time concentrating at work because all I could think about was candy or cookies or cupcakes. I realized what a problem I had, and decided to continue the candy ban until my cravings subsided. In my hunt for sweet-treat alternatives, I found the Quest channel on YouTube and decided to give them a try. I think most of them are delicious, and they were a perfect thing to turn to when I wanted something sweet. I incorporated them into my meal plan, and eating one a day seriously enabled me to kick sugar. (I know there are a couple grams of sugar in them, but considering I was eating over 50g a day, its a major improvement) It's now been a little over 2 months since I decided to kick sugar and I don't crave candy or sweets at all. Say what you will about processed foods, but these bars changed my life. The macros are great and they help me stick to an entire day of healthy eating (and are the only processed foods I eat).
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What an ignorant thing to say :huh:
    Congratulations, you know it all.
    I'll be sure to let all the T2D I know what pigs they are for having to take meds due to ALL that eating they do.
    eyeroll.
    Whatever. My doctor is rather blunt. This is what she said:

"Most people eat too much. I tell them to eat less. They ignore the advice. Then they get diabetes. And they still eat too much, so I prescribe them medicine to keep their limbs from falling off."

My dad's doctor also said that almost all cases of Type II diabetes stem from being overweight. So he told my dad to stop consuming so many calories.

What, pray tell, do you think causes Type II diabetes?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    What an ignorant thing to say :huh:
    Congratulations, you know it all.
    I'll be sure to let all the T2D I know what pigs they are for having to take meds due to ALL that eating they do.
    eyeroll.
    Whatever. My doctor is rather blunt. This is what she said:

"Most people eat too much. I tell them to eat less. They ignore the advice. Then they get diabetes. And they still eat too much, so I prescribe them medicine to keep their limbs from falling off."

My dad's doctor also said that almost all cases of Type II diabetes stem from being overweight. So he told my dad to stop consuming so many calories.

What, pray tell, do you think causes Type II diabetes?

Diabetes is a symptom of a number of genetic and environmental problems, not just obesity. Why do you think that the rate of diabetes has not gone up at the same rate as obesity? Why isn't every obese person diabetic if it is caused by obesity? Or why it is more prevalent in people of African descent? It can be caused by you being exposed to gestational diabetes when in the womb. It can be caused by SSRI's and other antidepressants. It can be caused by some cancer treatments, especially in childhood. There are other genetic predispositions handed down in the family gene pool.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    The incidence of Type II diabetes has been increasing in children and young adults due to the fact that more of them are overweight than ever before. Same with high blood pressure.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    The incidence of Type II diabetes has been increasing in children and young adults due to the fact that more of them are overweight than ever before. Same with high blood pressure.

But not at the same rate. Correlation is not causation.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Correlation is not causation.

Ah, shades of my Research Methods classes... :)

Not everyone who is overweight or obese has T2. Everyone on my mother's side of the family (all of them overweight or obese, especially the women) is diabetes-free - everyone. They might be 300+ pounds or whatever, and have other health issues, but diabetes isn't one of them.

Diabetes, both T1 and T2, is rampant on my father's side, unfortunately - and that's exactly who I inherited it from, as well as my brother (who is a normal BMI). It's genetic in cause. Being overweight/obese doesn't help, certainly - but it's not the sole cause.

Whatever doctor is telling people that weight is the sole cause needs their medical license revoked, because it's complete misinformation.

From the American Diabetes Association:

Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes.

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Correlation is not causation.

Ah, shades of my Research Methods classes... :)

Not everyone who is overweight or obese has T2. Everyone on my mother's side of the family (all of them overweight or obese, especially the women) is diabetes-free - everyone. They might be 300+ pounds or whatever, and have other health issues, but diabetes isn't one of them.

Diabetes, both T1 and T2, is rampant on my father's side, unfortunately - and that's exactly who I inherited it from, as well as my brother (who is a normal BMI). It's genetic in cause. Being overweight/obese doesn't help, certainly - but it's not the sole cause.

Whatever doctor is telling people that weight is the sole cause needs their medical license revoked, because it's complete misinformation.

From the American Diabetes Association:

Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes.

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/

I am the only one in my family (including extended family) so I do not have a genetic risk factor. Risk factor1: I am (officially still) obese. Risk factor 2: I have been taking SSRI's for over 10 years. Risk factor 3 (which is the one that tipped the scales so I became diabetic): extreme physical stress due to chronic severe anemia over the course of about 9 months. My BG numbers were perfect 2 years ago. I was diagnosed T2 this past January when the anemia was discovered and treated.
  • theEffingPanda
    Options
    I felt the need to activate an old account just to comment here :)

Quest bars legitimately helped me kick a serious sugar problem. I'm not someone who needs to watch what I eat in terms of weight gain, so it's easy to see how my sugar consumption got very out of hand. Due to a ton of stress and subsequent fatigue, I found myself binging on candy a couple times a day - by the time I actually thought about what I was doing, I realized about a quarter of the calories I was eating every day was candy. I have ALWAYS had a major sweet tooth, and when I start I can't stop.

I decided to go on a two-week sugar cleanse just to see if I could do it, and it was hell. I honestly had a hard time concentrating at work because all I could think about was candy or cookies or cupcakes. I realized what a problem I had, and decided to continue the candy ban until my cravings subsided. In my hunt for sweet-treat alternatives, I found the Quest channel on YouTube and decided to give them a try. I think most of them are delicious, and they were a perfect thing to turn to when I wanted something sweet. I incorporated them into my meal plan, and eating one a day seriously enabled me to kick sugar. (I know there are a couple grams of sugar in them, but considering I was eating over 50g a day, its a major improvement) It's now been a little over 2 months since I decided to kick sugar and I don't crave candy or sweets at all. Say what you will about processed foods, but these bars changed my life. The macros are great and they help me stick to an entire day of healthy eating (and are the only processed foods I eat).

I love this comment because I feel like they have helped me in almost the same way. I used to crave sweets constantly and lately, if I do at all, I'll end up taking a bite of something I think I wanted and realizing that I'm not into it. The only change I made that I think could have caused this was the fact that I began trying out Quest bars. I don't eat them every day and I eat a fairly clean diet with the occasionally treat meal when I'm fully on track. Having one of these especially before or after I workout has been working very well for me.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If Quest bars are wrong....... I don't want to be right..... :-)
    Seriously, I eat one a day usually. Sometimes with lunch, sometimes to get me through my 3-4pm need for feed, sometimes at night if I'm still hungry. As long as I don't eat a box a day (I could) I can work them into my calories and I find them very filling. Just my opinion.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Seriously, I eat one a day usually. Sometimes with lunch, sometimes to get me through my 3-4pm need for feed, sometimes at night if I'm still hungry. As long as I don't eat a box a day (I could) I can work them into my calories and I find them very filling. Just my opinion.

I once went on a binge and ate 4 of them in a day. Never again. Let me put it this way . . . that many could rival the stuff they give you to prep for a colonoscopy.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

I once went on a binge and ate 4 of them in a day. Never again. Let me put it this way . . . that many could rival the stuff they give you to prep for a colonoscopy.

I've always wondered what would happen.... haha....
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Quest Bars (among other protein bars) ALL THE TIME. But I actually felt like they didn't agree with me. They always felt so heavy, and left me feeling really full afterwards. They just feel like a brick in my stomach! I switched up my protein to having more lean chicken breast, brown rice protein powder, or protein bars that have a maximum of 12-15g per serving.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars but they are too expensive. Even on "sale" the boxes (of only 12 bars) run from at $25-$30 USD. That's really expensive for a mass produced whey protein bar. I ran out about two weeks ago and it sucks to not have them handy when I'm hungry but it's helped me save some money.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I just placed an order, and wasn't able to get free shipping like I usually do. So now I paid too much $2.22 each.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I just placed an order, and wasn't able to get free shipping like I usually do. So now I paid too much $2.22 each.

Amazon. They are the same price as the Quest website ($24.99 a box) and free shipping if you have prime or spend over $35
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like quest bars. I try not to buy them because I want to eat them all in the same day. Choc Chip Cookie Dough & Cookies in Cream help when I want a candy bar fix. They do sit heavy in my belly if I eat one a day back to back. I try not to eat them regularly, but just as an occasional treat.