I am going to a banquet tonight.

Options
I want to know how do you guys handle a event like Parties or Banquets. I heard on the Biggest Loser that if you are going to a party or something of that nature to eat light and DON'T MISS YOUR WORKOUT. My plan for the day is no snacks unless it is after my workout for Protein, and to eat a light breakfast and a light lunch.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it and idgaf.

Free and delicious food.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    To accomodate social occasions involving food, i will do a bigger cardio workout than normal to make room for extra calories. I might also just resolve to net at maintenance for the day.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Depends what is being served and how it is organized. If I can't avoid eating then I just accept it and move on. If it is an informal setting where I can avoid the food, I'll eat my food before the event and avoid most of the food there.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Depends what is being served and how it is organized. If I can't avoid eating then I just accept it and move on. If it is an informal setting where I can avoid the food, I'll eat my food before the event and avoid most of the food there.

This.

Is it a buffet, or is plated food being served to you? And if the latter, do you have any control over which dishes you get?

Buffet - Stay away from rice/potatoes/pasta and salad dressings (not because they are bad) but because they are hard to estimate. Choose the least sauced protein, undressed salad if available, and fruit.

Food being served to you - Just try and watch how much you are eating and practice portion control. Take bite, chew, take a drink of water, ask yourself "Am I satisfied yet?" If no, repeat.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just had a family reunion pot luck.

My strategy was to cruise the offerings first to see what was available. I filled up half my plate with fresh vegetables and fruits which my sister and I brought so we knew there would be something less likely to clog our arteries. Then I stuck to small (2 tbsp-ish) servings of the classic Minnesota potluck fare like calico beans, coleslaw, and 8 flavors of macaroni or jello "salad" (in which there are no vegetables aside from shredded carrots).

Had I stopped after 1 special K bar for a sweet treat, I would have done pretty well. Given that I was with family, and not drinking alcohol, I figure I did ok for the circumstances.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Depends on the banquet. I went to a potluck yesterday and knew that there would be a lot of healthy choices (fruits and veggies) so I didn't eat beforehand and had some healthy stuff plus fried chicken and chocolate chip coconut walnut cookies. If I'm going to one where there are likely to be mostly high calorie stuff I don't like, I'll eat beforehand and then just choose one or two things I actually like.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    Truth is this is my first year going to the local Minor league team, Astros Affliate team, Banquet and I am really just not knowing what to expect. My Friend just told me, who goes every year, that it is buffet styled. The Happy part is the players will be there.