Curious about people who don't take classes

Options

Replies

• cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can't STAND having anyone yell at me, don't like a gym atmosphere, don't like working out with strangers, so classes are NOT for me, lol. No freaking way. I won't even listen to Jillian on DVD. But I'm perfectly content to walk for 3-6 hours per day and use the equipment I have at home, and it's worked very well for me. Everyone is different.

Haha, Jillian scares me too. It sounds like you've found something that works for you, but just to clear something up....no one yells:-) I would hate that! Maybe if it's like a bootcamp class. But in my dance classes the instructors are super funny and chill. Anyway, congrats on your progress!
  • LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    I tend not to take classes because the time the classes occur don't fit into my schedule. I am a teacher and my day ends at 3:10. Spin classes and such are not until 6:30 at my gym. If I go home at 3:10...I know I will not make it back to class at 6:30. I'll be relaxed and unmotivated. I go to the gym right afterschool. I watch the Ellen Degeneres show for a half hour and then Oprah for a half hour. Time flies by for me.
  • blakjac6
    Options
    I have never taken a class. I keep myself determined to fit into my smaller jeans. I try them on, they don't fit, I hit the gym. It's all in your mind. I don't need someone pushing me because i'm strong enough to push myself. Anyone is strong enough, you just need to search. If you dream of cupcakes, ask yourself..."how many calories do cupcakes have? If I eat a cupcake, the workout will be for nothing". Trust me, you can lose weight and stay on track without wasting money on a class!!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do classes a lot, but also sometimes I'm in the mood to zone out and watch bad TV without anyone telling me what to do.

I do think I push myself harder in classes, and try to make it to a certain number a week to keep myself honest.

At the same time, I agree with some of you who said that classes can be de-motivational if the music is bad or the instructor is annoying, etc. So I mostly go to classes that I know that I will enjoy and that will challenge me.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I stuck a TV in front of the treadmill. That helps on the long, lower intensity sessions. For my HIITs on the treadmill I'm too busy moving the speed/incline up and down to watch TV. Plus I'm huffing and puffing too hard to be able to focus on TV

And I have 4 of Jillian's workout DVDs. It takes some effort to force myself but I'm doing it.

THIS IS ALL AT MY HOUSE. I CAN'T AFFORD TO JOIN A GYM.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I can't STAND having anyone yell at me, don't like a gym atmosphere, don't like working out with strangers, so classes are NOT for me, lol. No freaking way. I won't even listen to Jillian on DVD. But I'm perfectly content to walk for 3-6 hours per day and use the equipment I have at home, and it's worked very well for me. Everyone is different.

that's my favorite part. The only workout I can do is one where I'm being told "I suck", "I don't work hard enough" , "that's not enough weight"...etc.

I guess it's all about what you're used to. When I was a teen I played football through high school and college, there's a lot of yelling in football practice, it's constructive, but it's brutal sometimes. You get used to it, the first time you hit someone really hard and realize you won that battle because you trained harder, that's when you smile and realize it was all worth it. To a degree that's how I am with life, I don't really ENJOY most of my "alone time" workouts (not like I enjoy my sports), but I enjoy the fruits of them. I.E. I'm better at my sports, I don't cringe when I look in the mirror any more. I can walk up 4 or 5 flights of stairs without huffing and puffing any more...etc.
  • cclala
    Options
    I tend not to take classes because the time the classes occur don't fit into my schedule. I am a teacher and my day ends at 3:10. Spin classes and such are not until 6:30 at my gym. If I go home at 3:10...I know I will not make it back to class at 6:30. I'll be relaxed and unmotivated. I go to the gym right afterschool. I watch the Ellen Degeneres show for a half hour and then Oprah for a half hour. Time flies by for me.

Ah yes, the apartment vortex....I know it well.

You're lucky good tv is on when you're done! For me it's the CW or local news at 6:30. zzzzzzzzzzz
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories if I take classes, in general. For ex., spin classes push me MUCH harder than I would ever do by myself on a bike. Same with weight/power classes. If it were up to me, I'd lift a few, and be like, "ok, enough reps of that". The instructors at my gym HAVE to change their routines and music often, so it always keeps the classes fresh and challenging. I do lots of different kinds of classes, so that I don't plateau on one type of exercise. Once it gets warmer, I'll add swimming - that's the only thing that I do well on my own without being pushed. I can walk for long distances on my own, but I hate doing that on a treadmill, now it's too cold to go outside, and it just eats up too much time, so I'd rather take a spin class and burn off more calories in less time.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I can not afford the gym or classes right now. So I have to motivate myself.

When I did go to the gym I set myself mini goals on the treadmill when I got bored. Run for a minute, walk for a minute. Can I push myself and keep going for the next 30 seconds? Small goals one after the other. I usually ended up doing a lot more using that method.

I've ended up choosing a routine that keeps me interested. so Couch to 5k on day one, exercise video on day two and Wii Fit on day three. it's keeping me going at the moment. That and watching a lot of TV like the Biggest Loser. That always makes me get up off my bottom and do something like sit ups or my exercise bike.
  • gdelany
    gdelany Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do best if I work out first thing in the morning. The only class they offer before 8:30 at my gym is a spin class. Not only is it packed, but I have a hard time with bikes due to my knee (whoever said that bikes are good for knees is wrong. It's the most painful of all activities). I just bring my Kindle or put movies on my iPod. Before I know it, my hour is up. If I'm doing weights, I just listen to a great album. But everyone is different. If classes are what work for you, then keep doing it!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I had been in a Zumba class (which is actually really great) but I'd make excuses not to go (i.e. not wanting to travel to it, not wanting to go out in the cold, not wanting to have to put on "cute" workout clothes, etc.). Whereas, I have a treadmill and an elliptical in my house so I can just go downstairs and get a quick 30 minute workout done in the time it'd take me to drive to and from a class. Plus, I don't belong to a gym, so it's cheaper for me to use the equipment I've already invested in rather than go to a gym (which I would make the same excuses as above for).
  • djmom1984
    djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I took four months of classes, sweating my butt off in every one, and lost nothing. No inches, no weight - AND I felt like a worn out dishrag after every one.

I use my machines because they tell me how many calories I've burned - that's what keeps me moving and motivated.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Personally I won't spend the money to join a gym or take a class so I workout all on my own. I get workout DVDs at the library and I find them fun and motivating. There are so many different workouts (cardio, strength training, pilates) that I never get bored and the instructors are usually very good. I also use the treadmill when watching my favorite TV programs so the time flies.
  • cclala
    Options
    I burn more calories if I take classes, in general. For ex., spin classes push me MUCH harder than I would ever do by myself on a bike. Same with weight/power classes. If it were up to me, I'd lift a few, and be like, "ok, enough reps of that". The instructors at my gym HAVE to change their routines and music often, so it always keeps the classes fresh and challenging. I do lots of different kinds of classes, so that I don't plateau on one type of exercise. Once it gets warmer, I'll add swimming - that's the only thing that I do well on my own without being pushed. I can walk for long distances on my own, but I hate doing that on a treadmill, now it's too cold to go outside, and it just eats up too much time, so I'd rather take a spin class and burn off more calories in less time.

Ditto on all fronts, esp walking outside. PS- spin is badass, I admire you!
  • cclala
    Options
    I took four months of classes, sweating my butt off in every one, and lost nothing. No inches, no weight - AND I felt like a worn out dishrag after every one.

I use my machines because they tell me how many calories I've burned - that's what keeps me moving and motivated.

Wow, that's crazy! Sorry to hear you saw no results after all that hard work.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I take a weekly yoga class and absolutely love it and my instructor. I've done yoga at home, but i never do it at the intensity or duration that i do it in class --- not by a long shot! But thats the only "class" i take.... I've tried others, but my schedule requires flexibility and that doesnt really work well w classes :)

I'm a new runner and to stay motivated, I register for about 1 running event a month so i am constantly "in training" for my next event and time/distance goals. When i run at home with my treadmill i usually put some music on but am looking for some alternate ideas. Silence is good when i run outdoors :) Or better yet, chatting it up with my running buddy :)

I also REALLY enjoy hiking but dont get to go very often. Its an extreme workout and the rewards are absolutely amazing. On the way up, its getting to the summit. On the way down, its just getting back to the car! LOL!! No need for music or gadgets to keep you occupied. Just experiencing the trail and the crazy back and forth banter with hiking buddies is the best :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    bump for later response.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat with Gogo. I would love to take classes, but most gyms seem to have very few after 5 and I work 9-5. I don't know how anyone takes the classes offered, but that's just me.

Personally, I HATE the machines. I'll do it if I have to and it always seems like a good burn, but I get bored to. I tend to do 20 minutes on a bike and 20 on elliptical. Good for the muscles and for my boredom. I watch TV or listen to music.

I play racquetball though. Its fun and interesting and a good calorie burn if you're playing hard. And I want to WIN!

I also swim occasionally. I like it and its good for my joints but after about 15 laps I start going "what time is it? Am I done yet?"

Maybe switch gyms. My gym has classes in the AM until 10. Then they start in the evenings at 530 until 8. I go to Xsport.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I dont take classes simply because I'm cheap and I think I can exercise for free outdoors so why pay for exercise classes. Ive taken up urban hiking and I LOVE it! I cant sing the praises of it enough. What I love most is the freedom. I can do it anywhere in the city. I can change route at the drop of a hat, and either do scenic parks or city streets.

A lot of gyms offer free classes now so it comes with the membership.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm gymphobic. I don't want the noise, I don't want to work out with other people. My exercise is my stress relief time. I don't want to run into people to chat with me, I live in a small town. My kids work out with me sometimes and my oldest runs with me, even then, I tell them it's not chat time, I'm working way to hard to want to talk.

I also have a germ thing and the idea of going to a gym is a little overwhelming to me, I avoid Walmart too :)

I'm much more at peace just working out alone. I don't want an instructor to interact with, Tony Horton's corny jokes on P90X are great for me :)