How strong can a short (5'3") guy get?

Options
I am 5'3" due to a condition called Neurofibrimitosis.

I was wondering is body height had any factor on max muscle size?

I'm my mind I obviously can't get as ripped as someone 6' tall.

However how close can I get? What is, if any the strongest/most chizzled someone of my stature get?

Thanks.

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the medical aspect, but I just watched this video yesterday. Richard the Ant Hawthorne has a squat of over 500lbs and weighs in at 130lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPtbHGiGCIU&list=UUNfwT9xv00lNZ7P6J6YhjrQ

Your own genetics, effort, diet and training intensity/consistency will be the factors that determine that for you.
  • SpencerGJackson
    SpencerGJackson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing.

I have a second question now.

Im ccurrently 137 lbs. Not medicaly considered overweight for my height. However I am unhappy with my body shape.

If my plan is to build should i bother trying to loose weight(down to 120) before building muscle or should i just start with strength training now? (i.e can I turn my current body weight into muscle?)
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ask Naim Suleymanoglu!

Or at least google him.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderfully informative link about building muscle realistically.

http://muscleevo.net/how-fast-can-you-build-muscle/

Good new is, you can build some muscle. Bad news is, how much and how fast depends on your genetics as well as your dedication.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

If my plan is to build should i bother trying to loose weight(down to 120) before building muscle or should i just start with strength training now? (i.e can I turn my current body weight into muscle?)

Definitely start strength training from now. Whether you are on a cut or a bulk, you should be lifting the same way. You lift on a cut so you don't lose muscle mass along with the fat.

I don't know how lean you are, but most people would suggest you get lean before you attempt to bulk.

Find a good program, get your eating on point, and you'll be good to go.

People on this site seem to love stronglifts. Ive used programs from bodybuilding.com
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there are always 5 more pounds that can be added to the bar.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Until you pick up a bar and get working, you'll never know.

But you want to sort out your goals. Adding strength, building muscle and getting low bf% aren't exactly the same things.
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options

But you want to sort out your goals. Adding strength, building muscle and getting low bf% aren't exactly the same things.
    Is it unrealistic to want all the above?
    I'd like to lose a little fat, but I'd also like to build strength and muscle.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

You can have all three, but you may not be able to work toward them all at the same time. It's generally considered impossible to "add muscle and lose fat" at the same time. Focus on one for a while and then switch to the other (bulk and cut cycles).

Strength and muscle size aren't the same thing, but they are related. You won't get huge and still be weak, neither will you be really strong and still be small. In other words, you can't have much of one without some of the other. Depending on how you train, you'll emphasize either strength or size.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

No, not unrealistic. But you may need to tackle them one at a time (or in selected groups).

For instance, you can cut fat and get stronger by lifting in a calorie deficit. You *may* also gain some muscle doing this depending on a whole host of factors from gender to genetics to bf% to lifting experience.

You can also aim to build muscle by training with sufficient volume and eating at a calorie surplus. You'll likely add some fat doing this. So you'll have to subsequently run a cut (as described above)

Also training for maximum strength and training for maximum muscle aren't quite the same thing. Training at a higher intensity and lower volume will lead to faster strength gains. Training at a slightly lower intensity but upping the volume will have more of a muscle building effect. You'll add muscle and get stronger with either approach, but with more focus on one rather than the other depending on what you do. 5x5 routines are generally pitched at a kind of sweet spot (mid intensity/mid volume) where you balance muscle gain and strength gain.

You need to be clear about your goals and priorities so you can organise your training and diet to optimise what you want to achieve. Then it's just a case of getting under the bar and going to work.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Very strong as the bar doesnt need to travel that far and you have a leverage advantage.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

WANTING all three and WORKING on all three are not the same thing.

you can WANT all three- sure.
    But you can't build substantial muscle while dropping body fat.

And after a certain point past your newb stage- you will not be able to add any real strength at a calorie deficit.
    You'll be able to do so NOW while you're new- but once you've been at this a while- there is no building on a deficit- there is only making sure you don't lose.

So pick you're battle- now since you're new the goal is to lift and get as strong and big as you can- NOW- while you are new.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed. And you can get VERY strong for your size.

Someone like me (6'3) could get stronger overall just because I can pack on more mass. You have a lot less distance to move the weights so you should be able to pack on some mass quickly.

Good luck!
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options

WANTING all three and WORKING on all three are not the same thing.

you can WANT all three- sure.
    But you can't build substantial muscle while dropping body fat.

And after a certain point past your newb stage- you will not be able to add any real strength at a calorie deficit.
    You'll be able to do so NOW while you're new- but once you've been at this a while- there is no building on a deficit- there is only making sure you don't lose.

So pick you're battle- now since you're new the goal is to lift and get as strong and big as you can- NOW- while you are new.
    That is kind of why I asked if I needed to bother loosing body fat as I am not at a "unhealthy" level of body fat. Realizing that I would loose "some" body fat while building muscle.

Sorry if I'm nit being clear. I'm still new to fitness as a whole.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you're only 3 inches shorter than the average male neanderthal and they were possibly the strongest humans that ever lived. Nearly a million years of natural selection for extremely strong individuals who could take down large mammals with thrusting spears (i.e. no throwing spears) and withstand ice age winters resulted in people with an average male height of 5'6" and female height of 5'1"......... so I don't think a lack of height would automatically make someone weaker.... I think frame size/build, as in the width of the shoulders, rib cage, pelvis, and the size of the muscles (some people are genetically predisposed to have larger frames and bigger muscles) makes more of a difference than height. And being shorter gives you a mechanical advantage on quite a few different lifts. Short + large framed is a pretty good body type for lifting and I think neanderthals would have been really good at powerlifting.

Being smaller framed is a disadvantage in terms of the overall amount of weight you can lift, but of you're short and small framed then you'll probably be able to get into a really light weight category and still do well at powerlifting relative to your body weight. Plus you're male, so the testosterone advantage alone will mean you can pack on a lot of strength.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter how you compare to other people, it's about being the best version of yourself that you can be.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    IMO short is advantageous for development. My husband is 5'3" and sits around 165. He holds a national and commonwealth bench record. The shorter your limbs, the shorter your range of motion. Lucky *kitten*.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

That is kind of why I asked if I needed to bother loosing body fat as I am not at a "unhealthy" level of body fat. Realizing that I would loose "some" body fat while building muscle.

Youre being clear enough. What you want to do is pretty much what half the people who start lifting want to do (the other half are the folks who are skinny and want to add size and strength).

Pretty standard stuff.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    IMO short is advantageous for development. My husband is 5'3" and sits around 165. He holds a national and commonwealth bench record. The shorter your limbs, the shorter your range of motion. Lucky *kitten*.
    I agree.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Muggsy Bogues 5'3" NBA basketball player looks pretty ripped to me.
    Pernell Whitaker 5'6" Boxer and Olympian obviously ripped.
    Bruce Lee 5'7" I think he can pretty much take on anyone.

Don't let your physical size get in the way of your goals. There are plenty of elite athletes who are short.
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options

Youre being clear enough. What you want to do is pretty much what half the people who start lifting want to do (the other half are the folks who are skinny and want to add size and strength).

Pretty standard stuff.
    So assuming I will lose body fat while building muscle, should I bother trying to lose the 17 or so lbs first.

Or should I start lifting to build now? If so should I keep eating at a deficit or should i eat at maintenance?