Too big to Zumba?

Options

Replies

• aldrmctchr
    aldrmctchr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started at 422 and I am 373 now and I am doing zumba 2-3 times a week and walking. At least 1/3 to 1/2 the time I can't do what she is doing exactly but I just make up my own stuff as I go and have no problems whatsoever - I just keep up with the same pace!! They do have zumba gold and chair zumba also if ou can't stand for a long period of time... GO FOR IT!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I started at 290 doing zumba. and i burn about 900-1100 calories in a hour. get out there, enjoy yourself. I prefer the class instead of the video. The energy keeps me going!

Do you use a Heart Rate monitor to tell cals burned? Or how do you REALLY know. I'm just getting started, barely can make it thru the instructional video.

That's the only way really know for sure, is to use a heart rate monitor.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started Aqua Zumba at 330 lbs. Because I felt so big oafish and clumsy, I started secretly doing land mammal zumba with You Tube videos in the privacy of my own home. Also I selected a playlist that does not have a lot of jumping because of bad knees and ankles. Everybody is awkward and clumsy at first, just keep going until its right. Speed will come with practice... or wth, if not hey, you will likely never be a professional football player, and people will love you anyway. I've seen 500 pounders zumba, admittedly not well, but hey they're doing it and having fun, so go it!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just went to my second Zumba class yesterday. The class ran the gamut from a few skinny teenage girls to a LOT of middle-aged women with some weight to lose to a few people who were very overweight. From what I could see (not that I had a lot of time to study anyone else), at least half of us were at least somewhat awkward. The funniest part is when the teacher yells "pump it". I still don't know exactly what that's supposed to look like, because I was in the back and couldn't always see her well. But I saw infinite variations. :-) I recommend you get there early enough to introduce yourself to the teacher and another student or two. Let the teacher know you'd be interested in ideas for modifying difficult steps. But of course Zumba is much more about just moving your body and keeping your heart rate up than it is mastering the choreography. So just have fun! I had fun and plan to keep going weekly. Trying to keep up with the choreography distracts my brain from how hard I am exercising, so I can burn calories.
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    does this answer your question? one of the most famous youtube videos of this latin dance style.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aLFFIRop8I
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've seen all sizes, shapes, ages at Zumba. I''m not overweight anymore, but that doesn't automatically mean I can dance. I can't do the body roll, I seriously don't even try :)

The burn can vary so much, based on your stats and your effort. I've managed to get to my normal weight range (although would still like to lose a bit) and I'm pretty fit (I exercise a lot and have for several years now). I don't get anywhere NEAR the burn that you hear people say. My high was 535 (per my Polar FT4) but I'm usually content if I get over 400. I was only in the 300s (for an hour) for many Zumba workouts. I do think as you get more familiar with the steps and such, you can put more effort into it and get a bigger return.

I Zumba almost every day now ... I only started a few months ago (January 2014) but got addicted pretty quick. I keep track of all my numbers and stats and post them to my Facebook after each workout. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1416235018633723.1073741841.100007417148882&type=1&l=405a1022cb
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    if a shy guy like me can get out there and do it you can. I have two left feet no coordination skill. I loved it. I miss doing it
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I still can't do the movement, I just don't have the rhythm. I feel like a piece of big card board most the time. But who cares? I like the music, I enjoy Zumba because it's a fun class and it gets me moving. Try to enjoy it :-)
  • sixxfan4ever
    sixxfan4ever Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Are there any DVDs in stores on Zumba that you can buy at like Walmart or Target that one can start out doing at home? Is there such a thing on Netflix? Please let me know.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just did my second Zumba class yesterday, and half the time I wasn't even doing the arm movements, I was too busy concentrating on doing the footwork right! Eventually I'll get it together, I'm sure. It was still a good workout.
  • aldrmctchr
    aldrmctchr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i have several playlists on youtube that i use and it is free - there are some really good ones, just pick the ones you think you can do the most of and go for it
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Nobody is too big to Zumba. I loved it when I did it up north. I was about your size when I did and so was a lot of the other girls. Its so fun. I wish I could find a place around here.
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The coordination will come just don't give up! I see people 110 lbs that do the same thing just keep it up you are burning cals!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba nearly 300lbs. Keep going.
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We have all ages but my partner and I are definitely the biggest. We also know that the one instructor lost a ton of weight doing Zumba so we go, enjoy ourselves, make up our own dance moves and enjoy ourselves. We also do Drums Alive and we tried and barely survived a stability ball class where the instructor didn't count sets, just let us die on the dancefloor :) Do what you can, push a little bit more and all of a sudden, the class is over.

**our first instructor tried out for So You Think You Can Dance and we had a blast but nearly died. lol. Note to us, don't take it at a dance studio.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba at 260! Within the first six months of doing it only twice a week, I lost 50+ pounds. A few tips of advice about Zumba...

1. Find a class that works for you! They are all different and cater to different crowds. I've had to switch a few instructors to find the one that fitted my fitness level at that time.

2. No one cares what you wiggle! I've never been in Zumba and said "damn, that girl doesn't know what she's doing." The rest of the women there are exactly the same. We are too busy worrying about what we are doing!

3. Zumba changed my life. It brought me out of my comfort zone and really shaped me (mentally and physically) into who I am today. I don't know where I would be without that first step into that Gym! The results from Zumba will always out weigh the negative things you think are happening.

4. Zumba is WAY more fun in a large group!
  • tinapi96
    tinapi96 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No way are you too big! Zumba is for everybody. Shake it and dance your butt off. I burn between 800-1000 calories (HRM) in a one hour session. Well worth the effort!
  • lillypad13
    lillypad13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Girl if you can do an hour of Zumba non stop- you got this in the bag!!! I tried 10 minutes and I had to quit! I have no rhythm but in the privacy and secrecy of my room I think I'm Shakira!! No you are not too big- you are too fabulous -too wonderful and too fantastic. Period.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten into Zumba because the music makes me die but I know MANY women at your weight and many pounds larger who successfully Zumba in class format regularly.

Then again I know many women who are 50+ heavier than I am and run many miles per week and I am proud of jogging for 2 minutes so...who knows ;-)
  • kimmywilliams1110
    Options
    I started Zumba every now and then as fun at 214 lbs. I've lost weight since then and still feel like I look a big goofball doing it and I do it 2-3 times a week now as regular exercise. I do it in the privacy of my home and feel as long as you keep on moving ( i salsa if I can't get my body to do a move they are doing) your doing something! I won't ever go to a class I'm too clumsy and would probably knock half the class down. Just keep on moving! Also I think Zumba.com may have a gage to tell you how many calories your burning.